NEWS: Denon CEOL N10 Network Music System launching

Brand new music centre in 2018 and no DAB. Yeah I get that you can use Tunein to get all the radio stations but that doesn't help if you are more remote or your internet is down.

Last Friday working from home I listened to some DAB stations as there was no Virgin broadband in the area for 5hrs (its very rare I get it) but I couldn't do that on this.

Surely thats a big miss these days when every car has it why not home hifi...??

If you are more remote, then go and do a country pursuit,you chose to live there.
DAB is lacking because it is dead and buried like short wave radio

If you are more remote, then go and do a country pursuit,you chose to live there.
DAB is lacking because it is dead and buried like short wave radio
Well thats great for the person that has bought somewhere that wants to 'work remotely' that has a rubbish internet connection but still good radio reception then hey...

DAB (DAB+) isn't dead anyway. Over half of all radio listening is now done digitally and the vast majority of that figure is via DAB, a tiny % is via sat and less than 10% streaming.

So for a brand new home hifi to not have DAB for me and I'm sure some others is a huge miss.

Looks almost identical to the N9. Use DAB in my car radio in the house it is always internet radio, DAB is useless in our house. Have used FM but not listened to AM in years, is there a reason to?

Well thats great for the person that has bought somewhere that wants to 'work remotely' that has a rubbish internet connection but still good radio reception then hey...

DAB (DAB+) isn't dead anyway. Over half of all radio listening is now done digitally and the vast majority of that figure is via DAB, a tiny % is via sat and less than 10% streaming.

So for a brand new home hifi to not have DAB for me and I'm sure some others is a huge miss.
Unfortunately the BBC are not going to invest in any more DAB transmitters as they do not see it has any future.

The future of radio may well be digital, but it won't survive on DAB

Yeah I get DAB is at a cross roads and I've read that myself. I guess the next step is to see what the government does. If they decide that they are going to turn of FM in 2020 say then that might change things. Some counties have already done that back in 2017...

I own a CEOL N9. Waiting for reviews from a sound quality angle and improved wi-fi connectivity, just to see if an upgrade is worth.I don't really care about Alexia or Tidal...

carmad when you have finished fox hunting for the day, or doing with sheep what ever yokels do with sheep, try an internet option on a smart phone & a bluetooth speaker. Mobile phone companies offer baa-rilliant data deals too, ewe know

Top Dog mids you are barking up the wrong tree, this isn't a subject to sniff at, its something serious not just to sit and scratch yourself over.

You seem a DAB hand around this subjects, but you are right perfect to get a new device and then spend more to make it work, totally see your point. Now I'm off to get my wellies with those special holes in, ahem. :facepalm:

***CarMad*** Seriously, what is wrong with the mobile phone reception near you, that you couldn't use that to stream your favorite radio station/s, then direct the sound to a Blue tooth speaker?
It doesn't use that much data
I'll be truthful, I had a Cyrus 1/2 wide Dab tuner for a couple of years along time ago with a proper external antenna, so as to give it a chance. Nothing changed, the same below FM standard stations.
Ever since I've used a Sonos Connect. Yes a good Separate DAC helps, ideally one that reclocks a coax input

I've got a few Sonos, a Couple of Denon receivers in different rooms at the moment and HEOS speakers I'm not short of the ability to stream music across the house.

I just think that the ability to play DAB is useful at times, turn on and go and no faffing. All the cars have DAB and its great and you get a great selection of stations to choose from. Its not like we are going back to being analogue is it, if you can pick up a DAB radio for £8 I see no reason why a brand new system can't have it either.

CarMad as much as I don't begrudge you your point of view and choices.

DAB in the car is a good idea, as long as you listen to a national station as it should retune automatically when required which is good for road safety. The risk is what if you drive some where that lacks DAB transmitters, possibly the Nought taken out North of England. DAB in the car is probably a better idea than using mobile phone internet, because DAB is likely to be more user friendly

DAB for £8 is truly remarkable. I'd be interested to know which one.
As for Music centers having DAB, I'll go down the middle and suggest that it should be an affordable option. An extremely long time ago, I had a Technics midi system, a Turn table was an option.
I've looked it UP, FM should sound better than DAB.

Another reason I prefer streaming is there is not need for a fancy antenna that needs to have a socket near the point of use

The DAB radio was in a cabinet at our local Aldi believe it or not just a little hand held thing, FM+DAB seems crazy for the price not that I need one.

I get the dilemma and stupidly I might look at this when it comes out to just would have preferred it to have DAB, I quite fancy the Alexa integration.

I guess having had no internet all afternoon a week or so ago (No idea why) and really wouldn't want to faff connecting a dongle to my home wifi to get something working not needing to rely on the internet for everything can have its positives at times. FM it is. :)

I am sorely tempted to get this for my bedroom after the old Onkyo system in there gave up the ghost recently. I love the grey finish option of the main unit, reminds me of NAD stuff from back in the 80s and 90s!

I would probably partner it with different speakers though...

Going to get this soon, and pair with Q Acoustics 3020 speakers, the first generation ones - as new i model too deep to go on the unit I will place on. Can be had for way less than the £199 RRP at the moment too as stock is sold off to make way for the newer i version.

Going to get this soon, and pair with Q Acoustics 3020 speakers, the first generation ones - as new i model too deep to go on the unit I will place on. Can be had for way less than the £199 RRP at the moment too as stock is sold off to make way for the newer i version.

I did eventually get the Denon RCD-N10 network receiver in grey finish towards the end of last year, paired with Q Acoustics 3020 speakers (in graphite grey), and it's really turned out to be the perfect bedroom system! I actually got my measurements wrong, I could have fitted the newer "i" version of the 3020 speakers on the unit - the Denon receiver itself is actually deeper and that fits fine. I'm glad I went with the older 3020 speakers though as I think the newer "i" version might have looked disproportionately large next to the RCD-N10. Streaming Tidal Hi-Fi is great through it. I couldn't be happier with this setup in my bedroom.

Last edited:
I also have the Denon RCD-N10 network receiver and use with the 3020 speakers I already owned
seen so few comments on this system was beginning to think I was the only one too have bought one and funny it seems to advertised at about £100 more now than when I purchased it.

I was a bit disappointed at the sound on first listening but improved with age don't know whether it needed running in or the speakers were adapting to it if that is possible
but now love it even if it is a bit lacking in bass (need a subwoofer)(any suggestions)
don't miss DAB Radio never too impressed with it anyway.

the HEOS APP is fine though a pain logging the first time having to use remote

got an echo dot to use it with Amazon music unlimited (only £3.99 with dot offer) then use the Bluetooth option to listen on decent speakers (my 3020's)

I also have the Denon RCD-N10 network receiver and use with the 3020 speakers I already owned
seen so few comments on this system was beginning to think I was the only one too have bought one and funny it seems to advertised at about £100 more now than when I purchased it.

I was a bit disappointed at the sound on first listening but improved with age don't know whether it needed running in or the speakers were adapting to it if that is possible
but now love it even if it is a bit lacking in bass (need a subwoofer)(any suggestions)
don't miss DAB Radio never too impressed with it anyway.

the HEOS APP is fine though a pain logging the first time having to use remote

got an echo dot to use it with Amazon music unlimited (only £3.99 with dot offer) then use the Bluetooth option to listen on decent speakers (my 3020's)

Thanks for sharing, I was also beginning to think I was the only forum member here who had bought one! I think the combination of the Denon RCD-N10 and the Q Acoustics 3020 speakers is fantastic for the money it costs system sounds wonderful. Best sounding "bedroom hi-fi system" I've ever owned!

I bought the RCD-N10 at the original selling price but got a good deal on the 3020 speakers as they were being discontinued. Then a short while later I noticed some places selling the Denon for £100 less than what I paid for it! But the speakers were heavily discounted so I wasn't too bothered about that.

Regarding the sound. At first I thought I'd wired the speakers in wrongly or something, for example listening to Internet radio sounded horribly boomy when set to Source Direct. I found I was turning the treble and bass right down in the HEOS app, but then I discovered the speaker optimization setting. Once I changed that, all was good and I only use Source Direct regardless of what I'm playing.

Have you switched the speaker optimization setting in the RCD-N10 to "off"? It's turned on by default but that setting is for use with the Denon SC-N10 speakers.

I haven't found the sound lacking in bass, if the source material is bass-heavy I get plenty of bass. If the source material is bass-light, the sound is bass light. Turning the speaker optimization setting to "off" made a big difference for me. I have the feet attached to the 3020 speakers and the whole system is on a wooden chest of drawers, not ideal, but it's a bedroom system after all and I really can't complain about the sound. I see no need for a subwoofer.

Like you I also have an Echo Dot and I can switch the Denon on and off with it. I have Amazon Prime so can stream Amazon Music content that through it if I want to (via Alexa commands) - and occasionally I do that - but less songs (2m) vs Tidal Hi-Fi (40m). Also, Amazon Music is streamed at a much lower bitrate than Tidal Hi-Fi. I understand Alexa control is already supported for Tidal in the US, hopefully it will be available in the UK soon.

Have you tried streaming over wi-fi instead of bluetooth? That I'm sure will sound better as well. I don't use bluetooth at all with this setup, in fact I disabled it in the RCD-N10 settings. Didn't seem much point to me in streaming Tidal Hi-Fi over bluetooth and losing some of the quality in the process.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom