NEWS: Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug

Would a Good quality Sound Bar be a Solution ?
I think it is a wait and see until the New Gen Consoles come out ?
The v6 was to replace our cinema room AVR we have an ATMOS bar in the living room already, not so interested in the living room reso as I think 4K on a 65” is plenty at normal viewing distances, it’s the cinema room with a 140” screen that will need the extra headroom in the future.

Its still advertising 4k/120 htz passthrough when it clearly cant. They should at least remove that ..or put a banner on it making it clear it can't do that currently, some would say the right thing to do is remove it from sale completely until fixed

It is very unlikly that there'll ever be an 8K disc based format. You'd more than likely be able to access any higher resolution streaming service directly via the TV you were using so it is unlikely that you'd need an external device with which to access such content. As it stands right now, such services have nothing at these tresolutions to broadcast so are unlikely to offer such a service. The TV broadcasters are also unlikely to provide 8K services ouside of Japan for some time to come, but you may however see 4K/120 sports content before 8K? I'd still expect quite a long wait until this comes to fruition?

As it stands now and for at least the next 5 years, this issue is only really going to effect those with games consoles or those with a PC.
Thanks, I was hoping they might indeed migrate 8K to DVD because down here from our exchange the fastest cable/online feed is still only about 30mbs and that’s on a good day with nothing else in the house feeding.

So it would appear on balance for the “reasonable” future these afflicted AVRs will be fine for actual TV viewing (including 8K) rather than gaming stuff?

I hope it can be fixed. Purchased a 4700 solely for use with the Series X.
I've never used eARC but at least that is an option but at the moment the 4700 is set to 4K/60 and I'll leave it at that.

Its still advertising 4k/120 htz passthrough when it clearly cant. They should at least remove that ..or put a banner on it making it clear it can't do that currently, some would say the right thing to do is remove it from sale completely until fixed
It can still do 4K 120hz and 8k 60hz. That’s not the issue. The problem is different companies have implemented it differently. Read back through the posts for more information.

It can still do 4K 120hz and 8k 60hz. That’s not the issue. The problem is different companies have implemented it differently. Read back through the posts for more information.

It does however state that multiple next gen consoles can be connected at once using the latest technology. Technically that could now be incorrect.

RX-V6A - Website - October 2020.png

Simple fact is its false advertising if it turns out this cant be fixed. They cant blame Microsoft or Nvidia on it.

I really hope someone from Yamaha at least browses these forums , as this is a mess up of epic proportions.

Attachments

• RX-V6A - Website - October 2020.png
    RX-V6A - Website - October 2020.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 111
It does however state that multiple next gen consoles can be connected at once using the latest technology. Technically that could now be incorrect.

Yes, Denon seem to be committing to finding a solution. Yamaha are looking into it.

I understand the situation perfectly, you cant have a machine that works with some sources and not others that is ridiculous. It should be configured to work with all possible sources!

Last edited:
I understand the situation perfectly, you cant have a machine that works with some sources and not others that is ridiculous. It should be configured to work with all possible sources!
Yes I understand. Of course it should work as advertised.
It seems that all manufactures have implemented things differently, unknowingly either one way or the other. Microsoft, Sony, NVIDIA and the AV receivers supplier Panasonic Solutions. A big HDMI mess.

What remains to be seen is whether the AV receiver manufacturers specifically requested chips from Panasonic Solutions that are 4k 120hz and 8k 60hz using a compressed signal or whether they just simply requested chips that are 4k 120hz and 8k 60hz without specifying compressed or decompressed (just give us a chip that works with the next gen gaming consoles). Either way someones gotta pay. I just hope its not the consumer.

But here is something that also needs to be considered. If Sony's PS5 outputs a compressed signal. Unconfirmed as of yet but rumored to do so. Microsoft could be forced to change the way their Series X outputs a signal (if possible). Because, leaving PC graphics cards aside, they could be the only console left outputting a decompressed signal. They could end up being the only incompatible one.

But here is something that also needs to be considered. If Sony's PS5 outputs a compressed signal. Unconfirmed as of yet but rumored to do so. Microsoft could be forced to change the way their Series X outputs a signal (if possible). Because, leaving PC graphics cards aside, they could be the only console left outputting a decompressed signal. They could end up being the only incompatible one.
Good point. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Good point. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
This is of course mere speculation on my part. Microsoft may not even care about compatibility with AV receivers.

I for one feel like i've been miss sold a product, regardless whether it works with a PS5 or not. It doesnt do as its marketed. I'll wait and see how this pans out, but as it stands, looks like eARC is my only option 👎

I for one feel like i've been miss sold a product, regardless whether it works with a PS5 or not. It doesnt do as its marketed. I'll wait and see how this pans out, but as it stands, looks like eARC is my only option 👎
I think mis-sold is a bit exaggerated tbh. At the time Denon et al were testing the chipset it appeared to work with ’test’ hardware supplied by MS. The problem appears to only have become apparent since then.
Depending on how long you have had the receiver you may be able to return for a refund or wait and see if a. It does what you want with a PS5 or b. See what Denon offers. Either way I hope it gets sorted.

I think mis-sold is a bit exaggerated tbh. At the time Denon et al were testing the chipset it appeared to work with ’test’ hardware supplied by MS. The problem appears to only have become apparent since then.
Depending on how long you have had the receiver you may be able to return for a refund or wait and see if a. It does what you want with a PS5 or b. See what Denon offers. Either way I hope it gets sorted.
I don’t think we should downgrade this, it is misleading for sure. I personally would never have bought the x2700 if I knew it wouldn’t work with the new consoles, if I was to rely on direct connection to TV and earc I would have kept my old amp -sadly I just sold it on eBay on Sunday so that ship has sailed :(
The fact remains that I and many others bought a new 2.1 capable receiver so that we would benefit from all that the new consoles can offer, I personally feel very cheated at the moment.
I just have to hold out hope that the PS5 does indeed output a compressed signal, otherwise I’ll have to make a placard or something :lease:

Videos like these are showing 4K 120hz HDR material produced by graphics cards playing okay via these AVRs...

It maybe suggests that the issue isn’t perhaps as bad as first feared, and maybe more specifically a problem for the new Xbox consoles?

Desk

This issue is probably why Yamaha are very slow in releasing details of the Higher spec receivers for 2021

Interesting that there is no HDMI 2.1 branding on these 4k120 products including Denon models or LG CX so it's no wonder it doesn't work when not appearing to be certified.

Interesting that there is no HDMI 2.1 branding on these 4k120 products including Denon models or LG CX so it's no wonder it doesn't work when not appearing to be certified.

There's no such thing has HDMI version branding. HDMI org's own trademarking prevents any manufacturer from using HDMI version numbers on their products. They can list the associated features, but are not allowed to label products using the HDMI version they include. HDMI version 2.1 certification wouldn't even require the aboility to passthrough or handle uncompressed 8K/60 or 4K/120 video so the certification has nothing to do with the bug.

No previous Denon or Marantz model included such branding for this reason and there's no reason why the newer HDMI equipped models would be excluded from what HDMI org prohibit.

I politely disagree. When something is marketed as compatible with 'Next Gen Consoles' (plural, implying more than one), then this is misselling. Its no different than saying your new car can pull a trailer of 3500kg, but can only actually pull 2500kg.

I too have sold my old amp, so returning isnt really an option. Regardless of which way this is percieved, i have bought a product that cant actually do as its advertised and if i choose to return, will have cost me money. The sole reason to upgrading was for the hdmi 2.1, 4k/120 pass through which it cant do with my new console that it advertised as doing...

I'll sit and see how this plays out, hopefully marantz will either come up with a solution or compensate in some manner......a real test to its level of consumer and customer service

Don’t forget if you use the workaround of connecting consoles directly to a LG 2020 set you will get 120htz but loose dts sound as the 2020 range does not support pass through of DTS audio.

choose if you want high refresh rates for gaming by directly connecting your console to your TV or DTS support by connecting the console to your receiver.

I’ve just installed a GX77 at £5600, a new denon 2700 and awaiting the new consoles to support hdmi 2.1 120 with decent audio.

What a car crash

Don’t forget if you use the workaround of connecting consoles directly to a LG 2020 set you will get 120htz but loose dts sound as the 2020 range does not support pass through of DTS audio.

choose if you want high refresh rates for gaming by directly connecting your console to your TV or DTS support by connecting the console to your receiver.

I’ve just installed a GX77 at £5600, a new denon 2700 and awaiting the new consoles to support hdmi 2.1 120 with decent audio.

What a car crash
This was my planned setup until the news.

So with the DTS issue on 2020 Oleds what audio would I get for Blu rays using the Xbox if passing Xbox series X through the tv back to the amp via eARC?

I’ve read in previous posts that the 2020 2.1 TVs only accept an uncompressed signal and that’s why direct hook up is a valid workaround. But also PS5 is rumoured to output a compressed signal. Does that mean the PS5 might not work with my TV? Seems crazy to me, especially as I have a Sony x90h!

I’ve read in previous posts that the 2020 2.1 TVs only accept an uncompressed signal and that’s why direct hook up is a valid workaround. But also PS5 is rumoured to output a compressed signal. Does that mean the PS5 might not work with my TV? Seems crazy to me, especially as I have a Sony x90h!
I just have to hope Sony at least have done their homework

This was my planned setup until the news.

So with the DTS issue on 2020 Oleds what audio would I get for Blu rays using the Xbox if passing Xbox series X through the tv back to the amp via eARC?
Dolby digital + I’m guessing? personally I only watch physical media for the sound quality so think I’d pass if it was Dolby+ 😔

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom