NEWS: Denon unveils CEOL N11 DAB music system

I always thought the CEOL range already had DAB and analogue? I'm sure my CEOL9 does.

EDIT: Just checked, it doesn't. But Internet is good for me as we have poor DAB reception here.

Not sure I get the point of am\fm and dab radio in the home. In the car yes. Just about any radio station these days can be streamed via t'interweb.
Also love how promo pictures never ever show any cabling. The placement in that photo would have the antenna hanging from the ceiling. 😂

Not sure I get the point of am\fm and dab radio in the home. In the car yes. Just about any radio station these days can be streamed via t'interweb.
.....and in 99% of cases the streamed version is significantly better quality than the miserable bit rates (and mono only is some cases) offered on DAB.

Last I checked, it was in 100% of the cases that were better!

The trouble of stating 100% is someone always finds the odd ones that are different
ClassicFM MP3/Heart London MP3/Smooth Radio MP3 are all 128kbps as are their DAB streams
Though whether they are worth listening to is another matter. DAB/DAB+ was such a missed opportunity destined to quietly die in the corner due to lack of interest.

So is the only difference between this and the N10 the dab tuner?

Looks like it - not very enticing given it has internet radio as well

The trouble of stating 100% is someone always finds the odd ones that are different
My remark was meant to be tongue in cheek, but it was actually true the last time I seriously looked into this a couple years ago (UK radio stations only) and I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise since, eg:
UK Digital Radio Bitrates

ClassicFM MP3/Heart London MP3/Smooth Radio MP3 are all 128kbps as are their DAB streams
You forget that DAB's streams use ancient MP2 compression, which is about a third less efficient than MP3 - so 128kbps DAB is equivalent to ~96kbps MP3 internet radio, not 128kbps.

Though whether they are worth listening to is another matter. DAB/DAB+ was such a missed opportunity destined to quietly die in the corner due to lack of interest.
Indeed - that's why I'm not giving away that 1%. :)

Last edited:

...and the not inconsiderable difference in price now that the N10 can be picked up for as little as £330!
Ooh, I might treat myself! 👍

Anyone got any thoughts on the Q Acoustics 3020i’s?
Cheers

...and the not inconsiderable difference in price now that the N10 can be picked up for as little as £330!

This ticks a lot of boxes (N10) along with the marantz melody as a one box solution when I finally ditch my separate cd & amp, but keep my speakers. The higher end alternative one box options are too expensive tbh.

Also love how promo pictures never ever show any cabling. The placement in that photo would have the antenna hanging from the ceiling. 😂

Might be a bit UK-centric of me, but I wonder whether the BBC's petulant withdrawl of their stations from most internet radio services has something to do with it. This new CEOL doesn't have Chromecast so it can't use their suggested alternative (the BBC Sounds app via Chromecast from a mobile device).

I've been looking at the N10 vs the Cambridge Audio One. Not fussed about DAB so this may lower the N10 a bit in price.

I was really expecting an update to ceol because im thinking about buying it, my hopes were that denon upgrade it to have a turntable input and capability to use bluetooth headphones. It seems no one of my wishes have been granted :(

I only bought the CEOL N10 in April. I don't need DAB radio so an upgrade would not make sense.

How does this differ from the DRA-100?
Both have built in amps with internet music. I guess the DRA doesn't have HEOS.
Not sure why these two ranges are so close yet separate

I was really expecting an update to ceol because im thinking about buying it, my hopes were that denon upgrade it to have a turntable input and capability to use bluetooth headphones. It seems no one of my wishes have been granted :(
I assume you can connect a turntable which has it’s own pre amp ? Could anyone confirm ? Sorry, bit of a novice.

Yes, the N11 has a single pair of analogue RCA inputs which could be used for such a turntable. In fact the Denon website specifically shows two such models which could be used as 'related products'.

Thanks. What would people’s recommendations be for a pair of (compact) speakers for this. I know Denon are flogging their own at £100 but could I significantly improve on these for a bit more outlay ? This is for a bedroom so don’t want a big imprint so along the size of Denon’s own is what I’m thinking.

What do you think of it mate, thanks
About the N10? I think you can't find anything better at that price. I used to have the N9 and this one is much improved in connectivity and sound quality thanks to a new burr brown dac. I wonder what's the difference between the N10 and the n11 aside from the DAB...would that justify an upgrade?

Just bought the N11. Bizarrely I can get the BBC national stations (6 Music, 5 Live etc) through Tunein on the Internet Radio input. Thought they’d been removed ? At least can get never get them on my Apple Homepods natively (which also uses Tunein)

Bizarrely I can get the BBC national stations (6 Music, 5 Live etc) through Tunein on the Internet Radio input. Thought they’d been removed ? At least can get never get them on my Apple Homepods natively (which also uses Tunein)
Have the BBC’s live radio streams ever been removed from the TuneIn station list integrated into the DENON/HEOS platform? Not sure how up to date this year-old list of affected devices/platforms is but there have been at least some revisions since the changes were made last August.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom