NEWS: Disney+ drops streaming quality prior to European launch

All the broadband operators in the UK said they had no problems with capacity. And indeed have told us that the usual evening peak (with streaming) was still much higher than any usage from more home workers during the day.

This is the type of typical meddling in our everyday lives by EU commissioners which led to the UK voting to leave. And given we've left, I don't see why Netflix, Amazon and Disney are applying the same blanket rule to the UK as the rest of the EU.

If some EU markets can't cope, drop quality in those markets. In countries like the UK where our suppliers have told us they can cope, there is no need to reduce quality - especially as none of them have said anything about reducing their pricing (a particular kick-in-the-teeth for those like me that pay for the top-tier 4K UHD Netflix package!).

All the broadband operators in the UK said they had no problems with capacity. And indeed have told us that the usual evening peak (with streaming) was still much higher than any usage from more home workers during the day.

This is the type of typical meddling in our everyday lives by EU commissioners which led to the UK voting to leave. And given we've left, I don't see why Netflix, Amazon and Disney are applying the same blanket rule to the UK as the rest of the EU.

If some EU markets can't cope, drop quality in those markets. In countries like the UK where our suppliers have told us they can cope, there is no need to reduce quality - especially as none of them have said anything about reducing their pricing (a particular kick-in-the-teeth for those like me that pay for the top-tier 4K UHD Netflix package!).
I agree with the idea of reducing bandwidth in countries that can’t cope instead of a blanket reduction across Europe, but we need to wait and see how the UK is affected once self-isolation really kicks in. Do we know how the networks coped last night since pubs etc. were closed for the first time?

As far as “meddling...by EU commissioners” this appears to be a decision taken by Netflix, Disney+, Amazon and the rest. They tend to make decisions based on Europe as a whole and don’t differentiate between “Europe” and “the EU”. It should be noted that none of the various press releases mentions the EU afaik, and that unless I’m wrong the UK is still part of Europe.

I think its fair for them to try to stop problems before they happen.....these are unprecedented times and not something we would ever have expected to see. Whilst I appreciate the annoyance this brings for people, especially those on top tier packages, what would you prefer? Not doing this and the system crashing entirely for hours/days/weeks or this reduction in quality for a period of time in an attempt to prevent system-wide issues.

It's also worth noting that this isn't just down to load on the ISP networks themselves. We know that the networks in the UK seem to be holding up pretty well with demand and even with the huge influx of at-home workers, we shouldn't see much of a bandwidth issue, I believe that it is the servers of Disney+, Netlifx et all that see the potential for issues....and this is just their way of keeping their system working for everyone at the same time.

As you've said, evenings more than likely are seeing no more extra strain, but these servers are now seeing big load throughout the entire day which is something they are not used to

It will be interesting to see if things change going forward as I cant see the streaming being upgraded as they surely think this is a relatively short term issue

Annoying but there are still lots of discs on sale and we are reducing online usage at the same time by watching them. It has certainly made me question a move online. It may seem convenient but this brings home that spending money for online streaming may result in you having nothing.

Annoying but there are still lots of discs on sale and we are reducing online usage at the same time by watching them. It has certainly made me question a move online. It may seem convenient but this brings home that spending money for online streaming may result in you having nothing.

Whilst I use a number of the streaming systems (more for convenience with the kids), things like this and the general movies being removed from services periodically, are why I will always keep my own media on my own servers (using the likes of KODI and PLEX). When we all had our own DVD collections none of this would have affected us, but now as so many become reliant on these services.....the limitations of them are becoming more apparent.

God forbid the internet falls down for days or longer...civilisation would implode

Just for information, I'd pre-ordered Disney+ for the year and I've just managed to cancel it and get a refund. Phew! I'll wait and see what happens with the service over the coming weeks/months.

out of interest....for those just watching 1080p and 4K...has anyone actually noticed a drop in quality?

Obviously they are only reducing the bitrate and not the resolution...so are the majority of people even seeing the difference?

Lol, bit of reduced quality for a service no-one has yet and you’re all having a moan, cancelling services and now Physical Media is now the way to go. :rotfl:

Usual AV Forums reaction then.... :rolleyes:

Have a word with yourselves. The world is facing an unprecedented situation and if quality has to be reduced here for some streaming services then so be it.

Physical media is doing no harm and freeing up capacity. This is an AV forum after all. Is getting the best quality now not permitted? I think people should know they can cancel as the service is now not as advertised. My wife is on the front line, dealing with Coronavirus patients. This doesn’t stop the desire to relax and use AV outside work. Why don’t you have a word with yourself?

Physical media is doing no harm and freeing up capacity. This is an AV forum after all. Is getting the best quality now not permitted? I think people should know they can cancel as the service is now not as advertised. My wife is on the front line, dealing with Coronavirus patients. This doesn’t stop the desire to relax and use AV outside work. Why don’t you have a word with yourself?

Where did I say physical media is doing any harm?

I’m not going to have the same tired physical vs digital/best quality debate yet again.

The service isn’t losing any of its content is it?

You and your wife will still be able to watch many great things, just at a reduced quality so others may do the same. Surely given what your wife is doing you’d think that it’s about the greater good for all no?

I have never taken part in any debate about online versus physical media so I do not know about that. I think my points were clear and other people are quite entitled to their own judgements regarding the importance of bit rates, the urgency to reduce online usage etc. Currently, there is no evidence that there is a capacity issue and lots of evidence from broadband providers that there is not. This crisis is likely to last a long time. In these times, enjoying AV at home is one of the few pleasures we have left.

I have never taken part in any debate about online versus physical media so I do not know about that. I think my points were clear and other people are quite entitled to their own judgements regarding the importance of bit rates, the urgency to reduce online usage etc. Currently, there is no evidence that there is a capacity issue and lots of evidence from broadband providers that there is not. This crisis is likely to last a long time. In these times, enjoying AV at home is one of the few pleasures we have left.

Given the current situation, I think people need to be looking at the bigger picture than worrying about the bitrate of a TV Programme/film.

You’ll still be able to enjoy all the content you want from all the streaming services and I hope many do so.

Netflix subscribers on 4K top tier could always knock back to the HD tier and save a few £s and enjoy HD until such time full performance is restored.

TBF there will surely be issues on Tuesday anyway inc the next few days and the weekend.

But it's still an OTT reaction to an French EU MP's unfounded grumble.

suppliers of what? Toilet paper. Chickens? Hand sanitizers?............
Everything is there. Until it is not. And this days it happens overnight.
Pretending, wanting or demanding to be above it won't really make it so.

Let’s hope NOWTV don’t drop the quality. It will be like watching Minecraft :)

As I said earlier...I don't believe it is a bandwidth issue affect UK or European ISPs...it is more likely something from AWS and their ability to keep bandwidth for everything running smoothly...remember, AWS doesn't just host streaming services

Let’s hope NOWTV don’t drop the quality. It will be like watching Minecraft :)
For them to drop quality they would have to have quality in place originally

The PQ on NowTV Cinema with boost is fine for HD and I'm used to 4K DV movies on an OLED. Lets try to stick closer to fact on AVF eh?

The PQ on NowTV Cinema with boost is fine for HD and I'm used to 4K DV movies on an OLED. Lets try to stick closer to fact on AVF eh?
that was obviously intended as a joke....apologies if it went over your head..

Apple tv quality is shocking at the minute.

Apple tv quality is shocking at the minute.
Luckily there's not a huge catalogue to worry about yet....but I must admit I hadn't noticed...will check it out tonight

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom