NEWS: Disney+ streaming service gets UK release date of 31st March 2020

didnt notice this was a UK release thread

Last edited:
All Star Wars films are Dolby vision and atmos

In some ways I welcome this change as I don't have to give Sky money and the content can be streamed (presumably) at a much better quality than Sky

From what I have read I believe they will be supporting all resolutions up to 4K, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos for supporting devices, no idea how much of the actual content will be shown in said formats though and all for the same price, unlike say Netflix.

Now the OT is revealed as 4K DV - no surprise they've been working on this - and knowing Disney still very much support disk there'll surely be a 9 film UHD disk release next year, after the final film, and MCU, Pixar etc will still be on disk. So the choice of how to watch will be there.
I know its cool for some to post hints they'll be watching over here by other means but most will be able to wait just 4 more months for D+ here.
For anyone with family all keen on Disney franchises a continuous sub would be awesome, just like for some some people it makes sense to sub to Netflix all year round. But a few months at a time of each of D+, ATV+ and the 4K tier of Netlfix, would cover most of the good stuff.

Glad to see the SW films are in 4k, I am interested to see how HDR works on them. Hopefully we get them on disk, like others have said, next year when this last one is released on disk.

I am sure many of the other Disney films will have this included too (4k/HDR)

How are we supposed to view all this marvellous 4K UHD stuff with Dolby Atmos? I’ve seen no mention of any streaming device supporting it, or it appearing on smart TVs, not that I’ve been following this too closely. Same deal with the HBO service, if that ever sees the light of day in the UK.

Clem

I've had Dolby Atmos stream out of my Roku Streaming Stick+ from Amazon - although that's weirdly stopped working - even for the same episode that was in Dolby Atmos the other day.
This is one issue I have with streaming is that you have little control over the delivery of the content.

Netflix, TV apps and boxes - DV/Atmos
Prime, TV apps and boxes DV/HDR10+/Atmos
Itunes Movies, ATV 4K DV/Atmos
Apple ATV+, ATV 4K DV/Atmos
Disney+, - reports still coming in!

Netflix, TV apps and boxes - DV/Atmos
Prime, TV apps and boxes DV/HDR10+/Atmos
Itunes Movies, ATV 4K DV/Atmos
Apple ATV+, ATV 4K DV/Atmos
Disney+, - reports still coming in!

Unfortunately, the reality is that the only device giving you access to everything in optimum HDR/Atmos from every streaming service is Apple4kTV, albeit only supports YouTube in non-HDR 1080p. Whilst the latest Amazon FireTV devices technically supports DV and Atmos, I’ve not seen any confirmation that all the streaming apps do.

The optimum combo at the moment is a TV supporting DV with a good line up of Apps such as LG, and the ATV 4K for Itunes and ATV+ in DV/Atmos

The Mandalorian....

Wow, wow, err, wow and wow. Disney have certainly licked this one into shape. As soon as it's available in the UK.... Sign up. Sound track, spot on. Action. spot on. Settings....

For those who know.... I have spoken...

I'd also like to know how I can get this content in DA and DV; I don't think any of my current kit offers DA via streaming and I'm really not interested in spending silly money on Apple TV.

Surely there is another streaming stick device that offers all of these services at their highest audio and video settings?

Info is quite hard to find at the moment, especially as the Disney website redirects you to the UK site whenever you try and look at anything on it, like supported devices.
I believe my Roku SS+ will at least support HDR and should do Dolby Atmos (as Amazon can do it). It won't do Dolby Vision and I'm not aware of any other devices that support DV streaming apart from the ATV (which doesn't mean there aren't ones out there, I just don't know of them).
Not found anything conclusive about what people have actually achieved on the Roku in the US yet.

The Mandalorian was OK. But I didn't realise the episodes were only 40 minutes long. In fact only 36 minutes without credits. One 36 minute episode a week for 8 weeks?

Reviewers don't go middle of the road - Guardian website gives Mandalorian just 2 stars after one episode but 5 stars and closed comments for The Morning Show, which the BBC website gave 2 stars to.

Not seen Mandolorian, really like The Morning Show, but that got pretty rubbish reviews all round didn’t it?

Not seen Mandolorian, really like The Morning Show, but that got pretty rubbish reviews all round didn’t it?
So I understand. I don't read reviews outside of this site to be honest. And if everyone is slagging it off then I'm not missing much. Perhaps the BBC and Guardian were annoyed it wasn't the finger wagging, virtue signalling morality play they were hoping for, and I was actually expecting. But instead we actually got a far more nuanced look at gender politics.
I can't watch the Attenborough stuff now because of all the preaching.

Yeah, know what you mean.

I tend to ignore reviews and just make up my own mind on something.

Agree about the Attenborough stuff, lovely to look at, but spare me the lectures.

I bought a Roku yesterday and the homepage is a nice ad for Disney+ with the Avengers logo in the background, a bit odd considering I can't download it for another 4 and a half months.

Personal taste rules of course but I managed to see The Mandalorian and whilst its very "StarWars" in colour and feel I lost interest after about 20 minutes. CGI is superb but script is stilted and action predictable IMO.To be fair I lost interest in Star Wars some time ago and have not bothered with the last few releases.

Was tempted by the thought of Disney + but stuff they have I've already seen and I dont really want to watch again so I'll give it a miss. We live in interesting and changing times and I'm intrigued by how it all turns out. There will be blood on the floor

Update: Just popped next door to watch 2nd episode. Better and there is potential there.

Last edited:
When it does go live in the UK in March - Will we get the same content as the US?

One thing I hate about Netflix was the UK content was ( possibly still is) inferior compared to US and Canada regions. Hated them even more when they blocked the VPN masking tools.

If so, I’m ditching Netflix for this.

Its a good point mark. There are copyright reasons why some Netflix stuff cant be shown in the UK and possibly a similar thing will be the case with Disney. Netflix has a massive lead in the quality of their original TV shows though. But it will be interesting to see what happens come March

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom