NEWS: Disney+ streaming service gets UK release date of 31st March 2020

YAY! :clap:

It's a long wait to see The Mandalorian, but more interestingly I wonder where this will leave Sky in terms of Disney content. If there are no Disney movies on Sky Cinema, for example, suddenly the Sky offering becomes a lot less attractive.

(and by Disney I mean Disney, MCU, Star Wars)

Last edited:
Price is certainly going to be interesting, as much as I'd like to believe it'll be £6.99 wouldn't be at all surprised to see it closer to £10. Not that it matters, this is a must get for me considering the frankly ridiculous content library. Was thinking about it the other day and between this and Now TV Entertainment that pretty much covers everything I really want to watch for less than £15 a month which isn't bad at all.

Was somewhat disappointed, but not surprised, to see a lot of the initial responses being basically foot stomping "I want it now!" complaints. Four months doesn't seem to bad IMO, especially as it should hopefully mean they have time to work out any kinks that may arise.

Was somewhat disappointed, but not surprised, to see a lot of the initial responses being basically foot stomping "I want it now!" complaints.
Really? In this discussion? It's actually nearer 5 months, but regardless I don't think anyone here has foot stomped, or complained.

What happens to the Simpsons on sky when this is available?

Price is certainly going to be interesting, as much as I'd like to believe it'll be £6.99 wouldn't be at all surprised to see it closer to £10. Not that it matters, this is a must get for me considering the frankly ridiculous content library. Was thinking about it the other day and between this and Now TV Entertainment that pretty much covers everything I really want to watch for less than £15 a month which isn't bad at all.

Was somewhat disappointed, but not surprised, to see a lot of the initial responses being basically foot stomping "I want it now!" complaints. Four months doesn't seem to bad IMO, especially as it should hopefully mean they have time to work out any kinks that may arise.
You do realise that spoilers for The Mandalorian are going to be all over the net and it’ll be pretty much ruined by the time we get to see it?

The responses to Disney's Disney+ launch announcement on Twitter are hilarious. Lot's of pictures of Pirates and questions about why it's taking so long.

I don't think the PR exercise is going the way Disney thought it would. Disney making a big thing about some stuff happening in The Mandalorian that will lead into The Rise Of Skywalker hasn't helped and has disappointed European Star Wars fans. It won't show here until 3+ months after the film is released. Revealing the possibility of it not have the full content of US Disney+ hasn't helped either.

Last edited:
Really? In this discussion? It's actually nearer 5 months, but regardless I don't think anyone here has foot stomped, or complained.
Sorry, should have been clearer. Initial discussion on social media. I know, I know, not exactly a safehaven for measured discussion but even by normal standards this was a wee bit OTT.

I might add this if content is good and I can watch wicked tuna on Nat g in 4K.

I really want to get this service and I’m happy to pay for it.

If I can’t watch the mandalorian until every us podcast has discussed the details for months, then i observe that utorrent is a thing.

The Dutch get it next week, why not the UK?

I really want to get this service and I’m happy to pay for it.

If I can’t watch the mandalorian until every us podcast has discussed the details for months, then i observe that utorrent is a thing.

Most of their content is tied up with licensing agreements so if they released it next week there would hardly be anything on it. Although that didn't stop Apple so I suppose they could have done. I would have paid for The Mandalorian alone to be honest.

It's because of the deal that Sky TV has across various European countries to show Disney content up until March 2020. No Sky in The Netherlands.

I think the best solution would have been for Disney+ to launch in north America and Western Europe at the same time in March. I think they have rushed to launch in north America now so that The Mandalorian hypes up anticipation for The Rise Of Skywalker film in December.

I'm sure Disney would launch here now if they could. The reaction this side of the Atlantic has been less than enthusiastic because of the delay and they must be well aware of that.

I’m surprised we didn’t get Mandalorian via Amazon Prime for a limited window, say up to 1st Jan. As they’ve just closed a deal with Amazon to distribute Disney+ on FireTV it could have been a perfect win-win to keep fans happy, sell loads of Fire Sticks in Nov/Dec, bundled with a free 1month Disney+ for March, for now you can watch Mandalorian, much more to come.

If Sky have the rights to show Star Was and the Mandalorian is technically Star Wars they are probably contracted to offer it to Sky if they wanted to show it in the UK before March, something they more than likely do not want to do, how many extra subs would Sky get just for that, seeing as Sky would no doubt make it a Sky Atlantic exclusive.

Looking at some of the things that are going to be shown on there I think I will sub from day 1, something for all the family, in our house anyway, and if it's £6.99 even better.

Any word yet on the picture quality they will be offering? How about audio - atmos?

Sky will lose access to all Fox, Marvel, Disney, Star Wars and Pixar. Which pretty much leads them dead in the water (unless they restructure the cost to subscribe for what amounts to a much smaller amount of content)

Im sold, gimmie gimmie gimmie. This Netflix & Freeview and im happy. No real need for Sky, Telewest etc unless you want Sport or Movies.

I expect that most will have watched "The Mandalorian" long before it arrives legally via Disney+ in the UK though.

Sky will continue to offer Disney content, for those that think Sky will be buried overnight are extremely deluded. Disney makes a killing from selling their content to Sky, they won't instantly stop that revenue, they'll offer the content with the exception of being shown on Disney+ alongside Sky. No more exclusives.

If Sky offers the same content some would not bother with Disney+ It has been widely reported that the reason we are getting a later start date is because of the contracts Sky has to show Disney's films and tv. Once the contracts expire March 2020 Disney will have the content back and can start screening shows on a worldwide basis (once all territories catch up with there rights issues) This is what has happened in the USA and Canada. Disney want the only place you can see disney content is on the streaming service.

If Sky offers the same content some would not bother with Disney+ It has been widely reported that the reason we are getting a later start date is because of the contracts Sky has to show Disney's films and tv. Once the contracts expire March 2020 Disney will have the content back and can start screening shows on a worldwide basis (once all territories catch up with there rights issues) This is what has happened in the USA and Canada. Disney want the only place you can see disney content is on the streaming service.

So does that mean no Disney content available to buy, whether on disc or digitally, or does it just apply to tv?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom