NEWS: Disney+ streaming service launches in UK

Even full fat 4K and Atmos didn’t make it any good when I watched it :laugh:
Lol. Saw at the cinema, don’t remember it well. Either way a good family film to finish the series off.

It was the most enjoyable of the newest trilogy. Bit vapid, but good fun. I can't see them lifting the restrictions just for one film.

It was the most enjoyable of the newest trilogy. Bit vapid, but good fun. I can't see them lifting the restrictions just for one film.
Probably not, but one can live in hope.

Was onto Netflix support earlier, no plans from them to change anything back anytime soon. Maybe Disney will be different, wouldn’t count on it though.

Not a very high bar though to be fair :D

It’s certainly better than most of the prequel trilogy, but again, thats not a high bar:)

Pretty much that.

No date to put things back to normal until the situation improves. Just said they were doing it help providers cope with the extra strain on the network. Which I’ve still yet to hear any of the providers come out and say they are anywhere near struggling.

They also said as people are still able to stream 4K and on however many screens it is at the same time, there would be no refunds or price reductions.

I don't want money back, I just want decent picture quality, which was already suffering from low bitrate compared to some of the competitors. If they had to reduce it they should have put in an option to put it back up to normal. Like youtube are doing. Most people won't notice, I agree, so those of us that do and hang around places like this would know and could put it back to normal.

I wonder how many of their subscribers watch on a phone or a tablet anyway? Quite a few I would’ve thought.

YouTube have been much more sensible about the whole thing.

Isn’t normal Netflix about 15mbs or something did someone say? Apple TV + is around 40mbs normally and looks stunning, so it’s not even as if Netflix are coming down from a particularly high rate to start with!

It did take me around 4 attempts asking the same question to get the person to understand it wasn’t a problem my end, I didn’t need to check I’d got it set to 4K Ultra in the settings, I didn’t need to check on all my devices and my internet speed was fine. Eventually they realised I was asking about the bandwidth restrictions that they had imposed at their end, despite clearly starting that several times previously:)

To be fair to them, virgin media has been intermittently down all day. So they're probably prepped for dealing with normobs that don't know any better. Help lines are painful at the best of times.

I wanted to know if the movies in Dolby Atmos supported the height channel? I got a 5.1 system when I check the input on the Denon app it does that Disney plus was only sending 5.1 DD+ signal and no height channels but Atmos would mean also having height channel audio as well?

To be fair to them, virgin media has been intermittently down all day. So they're probably prepped for dealing with normobs that don't know any better. Help lines are painful at the best of times.

Regarding this recent VM fault, they've made a point of publicly stating "it was not caused by a spike in usage or a lack of network capacity."

Watching Moana on Disney+ and while it looks good, it sounds terrible. I don’t know what codec / bitrate they’re using for sound, but it’s so unclear compared to the Blu-ray

Noticed some atmos tags are back on films etc but still not playing atmos.

maybe in prep?

We also watched Moana tonight on the service. The picture looked terrible in parts and it has been ok up until today. The sound was the usual mess with poor detail and lack of use of surround channels. Almost a waste to watch some films whilst the services are unnecessarily ruined.

We also watched Moana tonight on the service. The picture looked terrible in parts and it has been ok up until today. The sound was the usual mess with poor detail and lack of use of surround channels. Almost a waste to watch some films whilst the services are unnecessarily ruined.

I only listened in stereo, but as you say it was so lacking in clarity, it felt so muddy. Really really poor sound, even beyond the usual Disney sound issues. Such a beautiful and enjoyable film though!

Some of you guys have to read the posts.

Disney+ US bit rates for 4K UHD is between 16-26 Mbps. This means it is higher than Netflix which is usually 15-16 Mbps.

At present I am seeing 6-12 Mobs 1440p. Does it look bad? No. Will it look bette Yes when these pointless restrictions are lifted

Don't ever bother wasting your time with the audio for now.

Rise of Skywalker is showing with UHD/DV/Atmos tags.

one can hope!

Some of you guys have to read the posts.

Disney+ US bit rates for 4K UHD is between 16-26 Mbps. This means it is higher than Netflix which is usually 15-16 Mbps.

At present I am seeing 6-12 Mobs 1440p. Does it look bad? No. Will it look bette Yes when these pointless restrictions are lifted

Don't ever bother wasting your time with the audio for now.

I do read the posts! We need to watch this stuff at the moment, so not much choice.

I do read the posts! We need to watch this stuff at the moment, so not much choice.

Yep. It is frustrating but at least we are able to entertain ourselves when people are dying out there. :(

Yep. It is frustrating but at least we are able to entertain ourselves when people are dying out there. :(

Absolutely, I’m not for one second implying that this is important in the grand scheme of things. Apologies if I gave that impression.

Slightly Disney plus related Rise of Skywalker also on SKY on Monday. Wonder how much cash they’ve forked out for that?

I think it’s part of the partnership Disney did with SKY. So SKY doesn’t loose all their content, they allowed Disney+ on their box in exchange of getting content including Fox films at first showing

Enjoying the new Prop Culture series. All episodes dropped at once. Just watched the first two so far.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom