NEWS: Disney+ streaming service launches in UK

You will no longer get Atmos on Pixar films. Not even sure if you'll get 5.1. The 4K Pixar content has been relegated to HDR (or DV)/HD.

Atmos seems to come and go. I checked the day after I watched Coco and it just said 5.1 on the title screen but yesterday it was back to Atmos, so not idea what is happening.

The Pixar titles seem variable in what's 4K or HD. (Although what resolution is actually being supplied in not sure, I may try pixel peeping later).
The Incredibles and The Good Dinosaur are labelled as 4K.
Inside Out as HD.
I suspect they've updated the audio labels to 5.1 due to the current temporary downgrade from Atmos. The Mandalorian is now labelled as 5.1 where it was Atmos before (although supplied 5.1)

The audio change is very noticeable - not just the absence of Atmos which Ive never seen once since launch - but the lower bit-rate of the 5.1 track.

The video impact is less obvious, partly because 1440p at sofa distance on 55in looks OK especially for Pixar films. but the new Elephant does look a bit soft whereas nature films tend to be a 4K benchmark.

Some films are dropping to HD as we've seen happen before on Itunes movies from time to time.

Finally the app does sometimes misread hardware capabilities, so on the ATV it's worth toggling the Atmos setting off/on and on the LG TV app toggling the ARC setting PCM/Auto to try to get the correct info on the listings.

You will no longer get Atmos on Pixar films. Not even sure if you'll get 5.1. The 4K Pixar content has been relegated to HDR (or DV)/HD.
All of the 4K Pixar films are showing as Atmos and Dolby Vision for me.

Currently streaming in DD 5.1 and no doubt 1440p, as we already know.

Not all them are showing as 4K DV (eg. Inside Out), but whether that is a temporary change or they weren’t 4K to begin with, I’m not sure. The vast majority of Pixar films are showing 4K/DV/Atmos though.

As mentioned in another post, Mandalorian is still showing Atmos for me.

Last edited:
Here's a comparison of bit rates between the UK and US Disney Plus services. For Ultra HD titles, the average bit rate in the UK has been reduced by more than 45%. Audio bit rates are reduced by about 67%. The good news is that the US service does stream at the full 3840 x 2160 resolution with a very healthy bit rate of up to about 17.5 Mbps. Pictures look superb. When it arrives in the UK, it's well worth waiting for!
Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 16.43.32.png

Last edited:
Here's a comparison of bit rates between the UK and US Disney Plus services. For Ultra HD titles, the average bit rate in the UK has been reduced by more than 45%. Audio bit rates are reduced by about 67%. The good news is that the US service does stream at the full 3840 x 2160 resolution with a very healthy bit rate of up to about 17.5 Mbps. Pictures look superb. When it arrives in the UK, it's well worth waiting for!View attachment 1277846
Think you’ve got the bit rates the wrong way round.

Those figures do explain that whilst the UK isn’t getting 4K, the bit rates are more than enough to provide a very good 1440p picture. Despite wishing it was 4K, I’ve got no complaints with the quality of the 1440p streams.

Last edited:
Those figures do explain that whilst the UK isn’t getting 4K, the bit rates are more than enough to provide a very good 1440p picture. Despite wishing it was 4K, I’ve got no complaints with the quality of the 1440p streams.
Wait until you see the proper 4k stream. Much sharper.

Will a DNS thingy such as DNS4ME which I’ve seen mentioned allow me to access the US streams of Netflix and Disney to get full bitrate. Or do I need to setup different accounts or anything?

Will a DNS thingy such as DNS4ME which I’ve seen mentioned allow me to access the US streams of Netflix and Disney to get full bitrate. Or do I need to setup different accounts or anything?
I don't know. ExpressVPN works, with dedicated firmware to a Linksys router delivering speeds of more than 50Mbps, which is more than adequate to deliver the best possible performance.

I signed up for dns4me and Disney is noticeably better. By that I mean it's noticeable by people like us. Most people wouldn't see a difference of course! The good thing is I can switch between my lg app and the ATV and see an uptick in detail. Moana looks absolutely stunning. It looked great already but the full fat stream is a slight step up. Unfortunately, netflix seems to be struggling a bit. Not sure why.

I watched Black Hole yesterday, for nostalgia really, it hasn’t aged well :(

Good to see the version of Avengers is the uncut one so to speak, just called Avengers and includes Loki’s spear scene

The parental controls on Disney+ are seriously lacking :(
Not sure why they are needed?

what in particular would you want?

Not sure why they are needed?

what in particular would you want?
Not looked through everything but is it all PG and lower? Figure some of the marvel stuff is PG-13 etc and not appropriate for my kids yet.

Not looked through everything but is it all PG and lower? Figure some of the marvel stuff is PG-13 etc and not appropriate for my kids yet.
All is 12A and lower. Are you in the states?

most violent etc things on it seem to be the Marvel films. TBH my 4 and 7 year old have seen all of these.

currently working our way through Pirates of the Caribbean :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom