NEWS: Disney+ UK confirms Mulan for £19.99

See, I love Mulan. One of my top-three all-time favourite Disney movies. But this trailer for the live-action version has me vexed and perplexed.

There are a variety of issues here. I suppose in the cartoon you can make Mulan look a bit more boyish when she's faking it as a soldier, but here she never doesn’t look like a stunningly beautiful woman. And that’s a miscast really, isn't it?

They also seem to have removed all of the fun. As well as being a very moving story with a powerful message, Mulan is funny. Really, really funny. But here? Not a whiff of humour. I'm just not sure any of it works. At all.

Then again, I thought Aladdin live action looked awful in the trailers and ended up loving that, so I guess you never know.

So who's going to be silly enough to pay £20 to sit in their house and watch a movie that's been universally panned?

No mention of when it'll be available as part of the standard Disney+ subs package either.....

You'd have to be mad to pay the same price as going to the cinema for a family of 4 to watch this at home - smacks of 'have your cake and eat it' by Disney.

Suspect this is not going to persuade Disney to release more films via their so-called premium subs offer, once they look at the numbers in a few months.

No mention of when it'll be available as part of the standard Disney+ subs package either.....

You'd have to be mad to pay the same price as going to the cinema for a family of 4 to watch this at home - smacks of 'have your cake and eat it' by Disney.

Suspect this is not going to persuade Disney to release more films via their so-called premium subs offer, once they look at the numbers in a few months.

If paying £20 to ensure my family is safe at home watching the film (and multiple times if they wanted to as well), then I guess I’m mad.

If paying £20 to ensure my family is safe at home watching the film (and multiple times if they wanted to as well), then I guess I’m mad.
Not sure I'm excited enough to watch this particular movie to pay the money, but more than happy to in principle.

The day I'm willing to pay cinema prices to sit on my sofa, is the day I won't need to, as someone has smacked me over the nut with a crowbar and I don't have long for this world.

I think this is a great move, albeit I won't be paying £20 to watch Mulan as I don't want to. If it was Black Widow or something similar from the MCU, then I would happily pay.

Not sure I'm excited enough to watch this particular movie to pay the money, but more than happy to in principle.

This is it. I wonder if more people would do it if it was Black Widow...? I’d probably say yes.

I will stream in UHD 4k HDR on my Panasonic OLED, OH WAIT ........ still no Disney plus app on panny OLED, I would happily pay the 20 for the app to be delivered. :facepalm:between pana and Disney. :rotfl:,

I like the concept for pay per view for high end releases, MCU, in parallel to cinema.

I will stream in UHD 4k HDR on my Panasonic OLED, OH WAIT ........ still no Disney plus app on panny OLED, I would happily pay the 20 for the app to be delivered. :facepalm:between pana and Disney. :rotfl:,

I like the concept for pay per view for high end releases, MCU, in parallel to cinema.
Buy a 4k Firestick to tide you over?

yep im in.... not a big fan of the cinema (other people, whispering, phones out, loud eating, chair kicking argh!!) so im quite happy about this....

If it was a tenner I'd probably consider it too, it's the amount I think is crazy rather than the principal.

In either case I would not opt to go to the cinema at the moment, if that were the alternative. My point is that the cinema 'experience' is priced at a premium so to have a home viewing experience at a similar price point is somewhat 'hopeful' of Disney.

Clearly some will pay it - the point is will it be enough to prompt Disney to rethink their release strategy for future films?

Why? No, seriously, why do people think that paying £20 for a movie rental at the point it comes out is somehow worse than going to the cinema? If you've got a family of 4 my local Cineworld is doing a family ticket for £23. Add on travel costs and snacks to that and the £20 asking price for home use is pretty reasonable.

So is it the cinema experience that changes things? In some cases, yeah, sure. But most multiplexes these days are an absolute lottery of quality with misaligned projection, light leakage, focus issues etc. Then there's the chances of someone being a bit of a dingus and talking / playing with their phone / kicking the seat backs. Oh and of course if you need to pop out to the bathroom it's quite a task to convince the cinema to pause the film. Watching at home can be a far more comfortable and convenient experience especially if you've got high end kit.

Plus, of course, this gives you access to the film as long as your sub is active, so a very long term rental. So re-watch as much as you like on any device you have (that supports D+ of course) without additional cost. You *personally* might not think it's something that interests you but I'd argue that any impartial take would see it being very attractive to many as a service offering. The specific film is another argument but that's not part of whether or not this is going to be attractive.

Some might argue this is a taste of things to come, some will see it as an option during the pandemic; clearly we've lost months of cinema releases and the more it goes on, the more the knock on is to future release dates. Studios have to do something and Disney is giving this a go. I don't see the problem to be honest.

I'd rather see it in the cinema, and I'm off to see Tenet tomorrow afternoon, but if home releases, at a "premium" price point, help with release schedules then that's fine. No one is being forced to pay it or see it.

By now we should have seen Bond, Black Widow, Tenet, Mulan, etc, etc and now be looking forward to the autumn & winter releases. Studios can't keep backing up their schedules indefinitely and they do need to make some money on the films they've already invested in. I know the popular view is that they're rolling in cash, but I think the pandemic has underlined that's not the case for many big companies out there. If a film costs $100m to make, it needs to get that back and then some to cover its costs and give the studio money to make more films. Simple business, but right now they're not making any money of these films that are sat on the shelf.

20 quid? They are taking the 'Mickey' :)

Think I'll wait and buy the UHD. At least the audio will be a bit better. Disney+ audio is shockingly bad IMO.

I guess it depends on circumstances, certainly if you have a family for whom the trip out to the cinema to see it wouldn't be cheap.

But no chance I'm personally paying £20 for what is effectively a rental. And I'm assuming it's gonna be a 4K rental, which it damn well should be at the least.

I think this is a great move, albeit I won't be paying £20 to watch Mulan as I don't want to. If it was Black Widow or something similar from the MCU, then I would happily pay.

Yeah I would pay £20 Black Widow at home next week, not Mulan though.

In comparison to what our US friends will pay ($30) then £20 doesn't seem to bad. It usually costs £15 for a recent film iTunes release - so an extra £5 on top seems ok. As stated if it was Black Widow I would probably stump up the £20. For Mulan - not so sure - tbh I don't even remember the animated version - may just end up watching that on Disney+ for free - george

For something that should be at the cinema and you get to keep it as long as you are a subscriber doesn't seem to bad to me as it would cost over £20 to go to the cinema with the kids to see this once. Compared to the £15.99 to watch in 48 hours I think for stuff like Trolls World Tour seems fine to me. 4K HDR as well.

Or just wait a few months and get the exact same experience for £4 on rental or until it rolls into the normal Disney+ service. £20 just to watch it a bit sooner? Not like there isn’t anything else to watch while you’re waiting.

This isn't the film people will go mad for, but it's not a bad price for me. Remember, in normal situations, if you were super rich and had the right equipment, the studios would let you rent this for $100's on the cinema release date. The issue is, it's all well and good D+ telling us oh but you can watch it as many times as you want until you cancel your sub; the real issue is that at some point (this could be a while to make it more attractive) it's not going to cost ANY extra to watch.

After giving it some thought, I'm more than happy to pay £20 for a few viewings of any film that are on say iTunes the day it comes out.

But if it's a Disney film that I know will make it the subscription service? Nah. But if this works in Disney's eyes, just watch, this will continue and the air date for subscribers will not be insignificant.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom