NEWS: Disney+ unveils Maclunkey cut of Star Wars: A New Hope

And it's a Geoge Lucas change once again. Although I personally find the "Noooo" in Jedi to be a far more grevious change. Which is apparently still in the 4K versions.

Saw something on IGN saying Sebulba said the same thing to Anakin. Obviously I don;t know what a Sebulba is as I don't recognise the Prequels.

Read somewhere this 4k cut was intended to be used for the unreleased 3d version - If true then that could have been some proper in your face trolling from Lucas. The film making chops may have deserted him a long time ago but humour may still be intact.

4k77 still best way to go for those who prefer their Star Wars untinkered with...

I must be the only person in the world who actually didn't care in the slightest who shot first.

Ah yes. That too. Although who knows, that might actually come in handy with ROS...

It's equal first for egregious changes with the Sebastian Shaw/Hayden Christensen switcheroo.

For me it said that Han had an edge and the change ruined that. Same edge was shown in Solo.

Yes - essentially setting it up in Solo and still having this edit makes even less sense than before. A lot of people complain that Disney is "ruining" Star Wars, but for me the two changes mentioned above - both by Lucas - are considerably worse than anything Disney has done.

Yes - essentially setting it up in Solo and still having this edit makes even less sense than before. A lot of people complain that Disney is "ruining" Star Wars, but for me the two changes mentioned above - both by Lucas - are considerably worse than anything Disney has done.

I agree, utter nonsense. Just put the original edit back in and let's move on I say!

I must be the only person in the world who actually didn't care in the slightest who shot first.
For me it wasn’t so much who shot first (although Han shooting first made him more bad-ass). It was that the changes were executed in such a cack-handed way, it is jarring.

Greedo’s laser shot is at a weird angle & Han’s head shimmy? :facepalm:
It just looks so weird, it take you out the movie.

4C1CC6E6-1E15-4FC2-BFB2-071E0D3D16A6.gif

For me it wasn’t so much who shot first (although Han shooting first made him more bad-ass). It was that the changes were executed in such a cack-handed way, it is jarring.

Greedo’s laser shot is at a weird angle & Han’s head shimmy? :facepalm:
It just looks so weird, it take you out the movie.

View attachment 1219751

He looks like he's really getting into Figrin Dan and the Modal Nodes

Forget who shot first, do all the new SW films on Disney+ have the Fox fanfare back at the start?

To me it's obvious Han should shoot first ...it's the best cut, for the story arc..at that point he was still reckless. He only mellowed after he met Luke,Leia and the gang. The constant tinkering is ridiculous, and Im still confused that Lucas, doesn't want to preserve his original work warts and all, regardless of his other editions, shows how much his turkey necked ego is out of control

As hippos says its not so much who shot first, its the appallingly clumsy way the footage has been manhandled and fudged in order to change it. It just doesn't look right, in any of the 6 or 7 times they've tinkered. Same's true of the cack-handed scissor job Lucas did to the Falcon escape at the end of TESB that completely ruins the flow of that scene.

Re Solo shooting first and asking questions later, this is a defining trait of the character. I particularly love it when he tries it on Vader (less successfully). Awesome Han moment that.

Last edited:
Forgot about the shuttle scene. Of all the changes that's actually my number two most hated (after "nooooooo"). Mainly because it removed the "Bring me my shuttle" line which makes Vader sound VERY pissed off. "Tell my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" - oh f*** off.

It's Lucas' biggest problem - he's more interested in technicalities than how the scene flows, good acting or allowing for happy accidents. At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if he took out the "we're fine, how are you" line.

He's really great at the design and I think the lore too, but he lacks the skill to bring that together in a coherent and fun way.

Forgot about the shuttle scene. Of all the changes that's actually my number two most hated (after "nooooooo"). Mainly because it removed the "Bring me my shuttle" line which makes Vader sound VERY pissed off. "Tell my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" - oh f*** off.

It's Lucas' biggest problem - he's more interested in technicalities than how the scene flows, good acting or allowing for happy accidents. At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if he took out the "we're fine, how are you" line.

He's really great at the design and I think the lore too, but he lacks the skill to bring that together in a coherent and fun way.

agreed the prequels were devoid of any soul whatsoever. the newer star wars arent presented in any IMAX editions we know exist...and im hoping that the IMAX enhanced equipment. that imax actually start releases proper movies in IMAX or..what a waste that will be.

On a more positive note than this latest pointless tweak the added magenta and blue flashes and tints that went into the SEs have apparently been removed so there is a slight move in the right direction, the not so good is the dated CGI sticks out more than ever.

Short review of the OT releases here:

Batman Beyond reviewed on Blu-ray, plus a review of the original Star Wars Trilogy in 4K/HDR on Disney+

Don't care for the films but curious to hear how Episode 2 & 3 have turned out in 4k with their limited resolution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom