NEWS: Google's Stadia to launch in November for £8.99 per month

With Googles preview track record of shutting things down when they get bored I'm going to give this a miss - I'd certainly not be purchasing anything!

£8.99 aint bad but needs more and better games it keeping going.

Also, no 4K gaming if you don't subscribe and only buy your games.

But yeah, Google drops software like Apple drops connections. Not sure how they'll compete with Sony and Microsoft. People's monthly subs are adding up real fast and the weakest won't survive.

Well I've pre-ordered as I'm curious to see how will it'll work. If it all falls I'll still have a Chromecast Ultra and a game controller.
The details on game pricing are vague but you will get games in the subscription that you can play in 4K without having to buy them (Destiny 2 with all existing and the new DLC for a start) and they'll as to your library each month.

I think the main draw (maybe for me) is that there is no console part. Plug in a Chromecast Ultra and you've got 4K gaming. Buying a £70 device (and the controller I guess) as opposed to a £400/500 Xbox/PS5 is a lot easier to swallow and easier to get past the wife!

I think I'd probably wait to see some more titles available though than jump in now.*

* He says this, then probably ends up putting a pre-order in next week....

I'm interested in this and will do more research before committing.

Well I've pre-ordered as I'm curious to see how will it'll work. If it all falls I'll still have a Chromecast Ultra and a game controller.
The details on game pricing are vague but you will get games in the subscription that you can play in 4K without having to buy them (Destiny 2 with all existing and the new DLC for a start) and they'll as to your library each month.
I did the very same for same reasons. At the end of the day it's £120 which by today's standards is a good night out.

When do Google take payment-at dispatch?

I can confirm after I placed an order.

Order Confirmed
We’ll get started on your order. You’ll see a temporary authorisation hold on your account for this order, but you won’t be charged for an item until it is dispatched. When it does, you’ll get a delivery confirmation email.

So the first year of owning Stadia is going to cost you £200, You can get an Xbox and 12 months gold subscription with the dozens of free games you get over the year with gold.

We'll see how this goes, the UK's infrastructure can handle video streaming fine but Cloud gaming is a whole different ballgame. Let's see how smooth the game play is...

Not sure on the pricing on this.
Over the course of a year this is only 40 quid cheaper than a ps4 and 1 year ps plus.
And you have to buy your games the same as you do on consoles.
After the 1st year it will be 3 times the cost of owning a ps4 and 1 year of ps plus.
I expect probably similar as an Xbox instead of ps4.

Can't see many opting for this over a console, at least in the UK where the majority of potential buyers don't have the required connection for it.

What's not clear is how much the games will cost. Are they the same as on PS4/Xbox or much cheaper?
Again the PS4 can't do 4K60.
If you put this up against the cost of a PC that can do 4K60 it looks superb value, for a while.
They need to make sure it continues to deliver good value.

There are very valid points about the connection speed needed for this, and in the US many are concerned about the data caps that get put on them by the greedy ISPs over there.

What's not clear is how much the games will cost. Are they the same as on PS4/Xbox or much cheaper?
Again the PS4 can't do 4K60.
If you put this up against the cost of a PC that can do 4K60 it looks superb value, for a while.
They need to make sure it continues to deliver good value.

There are very valid points about the connection speed needed for this, and in the US many are concerned about the data caps that get put on them by the greedy ISPs over there.
I'd imagine new aaa games will match the price on steam, developers and publishers will want there money and Google will probably take 30% of the price the same as they do on the play store and the same as steam does.

I get lag playing xbox and that only has to move a small amount of data, how will streaming huge chunks of data get around lag?

I think the main thing that entices me to this is the fact it can be played on any device with a chrome browser(albeit not at launch).

With a young baby to look after and long work hours my game time dramatically reduced to next to nothing so I ended up selling my xbox a while ago.

However stadia has me interested. The fact, if I've read correctly, that you can be playing AAA games on your phone/tablet has me excited, if it's done correctly.

Not sure how hard it will be playing an assassins creed or a fifa on a 6 inch screen. But I guess the switch makes it work with similar sized screen.

Providing there is minimal lag and google gets backing from developers to release top games I can see this working personally for me at least due to the fact I dont need to hog the TV to play it ;)

Well I got the totally love it nod of well done to me from the oh...

I know it shouldn't, but it kind of saddens me that this could be the start of the death nail in gaming as we know it. I'm holding on to bluray / UHD disks until the bitter end where everything is going streaming, looks like this is going the same way with gaming. I do like the buzz of a new console generation, upgrading the PC, buying a game etc. For me this is taking away some of what I love. Of course I'd be totally pooped if my internet went down.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom