NEWS: Has Amazon Prime Video dropped Dolby Atmos?

Dolby Atmos is now being sold on laptops.. go figure that one out. I think it's just a marketing ploy to get punters to part with their hard earned but will not be able to tell much difference if any on a speaker system that a laptop can work with.

last night I watch Jack Ryan second season episode 4 and 5 on an Nvidia Shield TV 2017 in Dolby Atmos, I tried Carnival Row that was also in Atmos, But Suspira as still in 5,1. it seems that Dolby Atmos is back on Amazon Prime Video. i am happy again but i don't know for how long or if they will have more offeringsin Dolby Atmos.

last night I watch Jack Ryan second season episode 4 and 5 on an Nvidia Shield TV 2017 in Dolby Atmos, I tried Carnival Row that was also in Atmos, But Suspira as still in 5,1. it seems that Dolby Atmos is back on Amazon Prime Video. i am happy again but i don't know for how long or if they will have more offeringsin Dolby Atmos.

Yes, Atmos does appear to be back and Carnival Row is now once again showing Atmos when played.

Only the first series of Jack Ryan ever had Atmos so it would be impossible for you to have watched the seconond series with it even if Amazon restored Atmos.

The first series of Jack Ryan is once again playing with Atmos, but the second series of Jack Ryan has never included Atmos. AVfOrums are/were incorrect if stating season 2 had Atmos and the statement was more than likely based upon the fact that series 1 had it?

Last edited:
No you didn't.

Only the first searies of Gack Syan had Atmos so it would be impossible for you to have watched the seconond series with it even if Amazon still included Atmos soundtrackas.

The second series of Jack Ryan has never included Atmos.

But yes, Atmos does appear to be back and Carnival Row is now once again showing Atmos when played.
Good to hear the return of Atmos. However I do believe Jack Ryan S2 had Atmos. Cas also mentioned that in his review of the time.

1597341642384.png

No, series 2 of Jack Ryan never had Atmos. It was a topic of discussion after it was first released and Atmos has never been included with series 2.\

EDIT: Series 2 is now indeed in Atmos though so maybe Amazon have fixed something as opposed to the second series being initially devoid of Atmos?

Maybe its a new game of chance Amazon have dreamt up? 8 people at any one time get either Atmos or Dolby Vision? It could be you next?

Unknown.png

We had it in Atmos in English on Amazon.de, via an ATV4K. looking at the discussion you linked to, it seemed that people's experience varied depending on the device, & location. 🤷‍♂️
But glad that whatever little spat they had with Dolby is resolved. So still hope for Atmos on The Expanse!

Neither was it listed here as having Atmos:

I've been using that article to pinpoint which content included Atmos and or Dolby Vision.

I do know that Atmos was only initially available in the USA due to licensing, but Amazon paid the additional costs and made the same content available worldwide in Atmos and with Dolby Vision HDR.

Neither was it listed here as having Atmos:

I've been using that article to pinpoint which content included Atmos and or Dolby Vision.
I can only speak from personal experience, and Cas's Review & the posts by jwsg on the discussion you linked to seem to back that up. 🤷‍♂️
Important thing at the end of the Day is that it is in Atmos now. :)

Important thing at the end of the Day is that it is in Atmos now. :)

Yay, that make 2 seasons of one series and Carnival Row,

I think that they may be spoiling us? I'm overwhelmed and may need to get myself a glass of water.

LOL

At least it is back and lets hope they've some more stuff on the way?

Yay, that make 2 seasons of one series and Carnival Row,

I think that they may be spoiling us? I'm overwhelmed and may need to get myself a glass of water.

LOL
Yep, it's very strange their approach to it.
BUT, if they are teasing us.....
I'm picturing "The Boys" Season 2 in Atmos - that would be one heck of a splatter fest! :p

I think it less a case of them teasing and more a case of them being inept? There's no continuity to anything relating to the Amazon Prime Video service. It really is like a game of chance. You have to search for 4K content and invriably end up starting to watch HD releases before the 4K version even shows up as being available. This would be more excusable were it not for the fact that Amazon has immense resources at it disposal to ensure they have a better service than the one they provide.

Last edited:
Before all this news of Amazon dropping Atmos i had watched the whole of Jack Ryan S2 in Dolby Atmos via a Fire TV 4K stick connected to Hdmi In of an OPPo 203 when i still had a 1080P TV at a later time with a 4k TV i found there was two UHD streams of Jack Ryan S2 one with Dolby Digital 5.1 and one with Dolby Atmos, this was early june this year. so some strange things have been going on.

I think it less a case of them teasing and more a case of them being inept? There's no continuity to anything relating to the Amazon Prime Video service. It really is like a game of chance. You have to search for 4K content and invriably end up starting to watch HD releases before the 4K version even shows up as being available. This would be more excusable were it not for the fact that Amazon has immense resources at it disposal to ensure they have a better service than the one they provide.
Yes, in all seriousness, their seeming desire to hide the highest quality versions is a complete mystery to me.
We are incredibly lucky here on Amazon.de. Two "screens" of scrolling down brings you to this:-
Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 09.25.25.png

And clicking on the 4K Ultra HD link takes you to this page (Much longer - this is just a screenshoot of the first screen):-
Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 09.29.26.png

So finding 4K content is relatively easy. Why they don't put this link on the UK site is beyond comprehension.

Why they need to include both the HD and the UHD version is more baffling? Why not simply do as Netflix do and provide access to the version/resolution the hardware supports? Who's opting to purposefully play the HD version when and if there's a 4K UHD version available?

Why they need to include both the HD and the UHD version is more baffling? Why not simply do as Netflix do and provide access to the version/resolution the hardware supports? Who's opting to purposefully play the HD version when and if there's a 4K UHD version available?
Totally agree.
The only instance I can even think of is someone who is watching on a limited bandwidth or more likely a metered connection, wants to be able to choose the lower resolution.
But that's the only circumstance I got. We don't have Netflix so I don't know if you have the option to manually choose there.

Last edited:
Netflix don't provide an option to access a lower resolution version, but you'd need to be a premium subscriber to access the UHD content. If you've a premium subscription and if the hardware is compliant then you'd simply get the 4K variant. If using less capable hardware then you'd get the HD version even if you are a premium subscriber.

I concede that those with a bandwidth allowance may wish to avoid the 4K content because of the greater bandwidth demands. I'm sure that Amazon could account for this in a better way than having to include access to both variants though. Even if it couldn't be done globally or even if it isn't possible to include a resolution selection option then why list the same content in 2 seperate entries and why not list the HD as well as the UHD versions in the same entry?

Netflix don't provide an option to access a lower resolution version, but you'd need to be a premium subscriber to access the UHD content. If you've a premium subscription and if the hardware is compliant then you'd simply get the 4K variant. If using less capable hardware then you'd get the HD version even if you are a premium subscriber.

I concede that those with a bandwidth allowance may wish to avoid the 4K content because of the greater bandwidth demands. I'm sure that Amazon could account for this in a better way than having to include access to both variants though. Even if it couldn't be done globally or even if it isn't possible to include a resolution selection option then why list the same content in 2 seperate entries and why not list the HD as well as the UHD versions in the same entry?
With Netflix you can control the quality from the account settings to limit it. It's not ideal rather than it being per device, but it's still significantly better than Amazon.

On Amazon I have had it where even searching for the name of a show didn't return the 4K option. I had to just get lucky and find it on the main screen.

The easiest way I've found of sourcing the 4K versions is to use the Amazon internet site and add the titles to my watchlist there as opposed to searching for such content via the app.

4K content seems to be accessible via the site in advance of the app, but if you add the title to your watchlist via the site then it will appear in the watchlist on the app.

Last edited:
The easiest way I've found of sourcing the 4K versions is to use the Amazon internet site and add the titles to my watchlist there as opposed to searching for such content via the app.

4K content seems to be accessible via the site in advance of the app, but if you add the title to your watchlist via the site then it will appear in the watchlist on the app.
Yep, that's been my approach for quite a while. I watch Amazon Stuff via the app on our ATV 4K but never bother using that to look for stuff.

I noticed yesterday that the Amazon original film Honey Boy (which is really good btw) had been added to Prime.

Started it up last night and to my surprise it was in HDR (HDR10) and Atmos!

Randomly it's not titled as one of their UHD titles, like they do with other stuff, but there was a small HDR tag included along with the other tags. No mention of Atmos anywhere though but my AVR got an Atmos signal and duly played it.

So very random.

I noticed yesterday that the Amazon original film Honey Boy (which is really good btw) had been added to Prime.

Started it up last night and to my surprise it was in HDR (HDR10) and Atmos!

Randomly it's not titled as one of their UHD titles, like they do with other stuff, but there was a small HDR tag included along with the other tags. No mention of Atmos anywhere though but my AVR got an Atmos signal and duly played it.

So very random.

Amazon don't include any mention of Atmos in association with any of the descriptions of the titles that include it. The titles that do include it are only known due to word of mouth and because of those who've accessed them telling others about them. The same was true of Dolby Vision HDR and the titles that included it simply stated HDR as opposed to specifically saying whether it was Dolby Vision, HDR10 or HDR10+. No mention is made of the audio or how it is formatted.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom