NEWS: Hisense OLED TV £1599 on pre-order.

Be good when eventually manufacturers make a real proper Dolby Vision tv instead of the lower rate ones that out now.
Dolby Vision's Maximum Brightness has capabilities of up to 10,000 nits but todays tvs only do 300 to 500 nits

Last edited:
Be good when eventually manufacturers make a real proper Dolby Vision tv instead of the lower rate ones that out now.
Dolby Vision's Maximum Brightness has capabilities of up to 10,000 nits but todays tvs only do 300 to 500 nits
They go higher than that, around 800 nits for last years oleds, but due to apl if there's a full white screen on an oled it dims to around what you quoted. In real life content there isn't much that is full white screen, hdr is about the dynamic range between black and white, and specular highlights.
Oleds are king at specular highlights due to the individual pixel control and shine in a dark room. Hdr premium specified lcd tv's will be suited to brighter rooms due the apl not being as aggressive so the screen doesn't dim like an oled does on a full field white screen.

Can’t see if it has earc?

They go higher than that, around 800 nits for last years oleds, but due to apl if there's a full white screen on an oled it dims to around what you quoted.
Maybe a little above 800 nits before calibration. But your APL figure is a little off. OLEDs dim to around 150 nits on a full field white screen.
In real life content there isn't much that is full white screen,
True with Snow as the obvious exception .

hdr is about the dynamic range between black and white, and specular highlights.
Oleds are king at specular highlights due to the individual pixel control and shine in a dark room.
OLEDs have pixel level control of specular highlights which which LEDs can't come close to matching. But with a good quality LED TV in most situations you won't notice the difference unless you really look for it. OLED also have the best black levels (essentially totally black) but again with a decent LED TV and bias lighting the black levels are more than good enough.

Hdr premium specified lcd tv's will be suited to brighter rooms due the apl not being as aggressive so the screen doesn't dim like an oled does on a full field white screen.
LED TVs also have better colour volume.

If you want the best overall picture for all sources then that is univerally said to be OLED. If you want the best HDR experience then OLED as a technology can't match a decent LED TV with it's inherent disadvantages mentioned above.

If you want the best overall picture for all sources then that is univerally said to be OLED. If you want the best HDR experience then OLED as a technology can't match a decent LED TV with it's inherent disadvantages mentioned above.

This is misleading.

All you need to do is check the shootout results or talk to a professional calibrator or owning both. OLED wins fair and square in most categories including HDR easily against 1,500+ nits QLEDs / LED-LCDs.

All this talk about peak brightness goes void once you put these TVs side by side.

https://www.valueelectronics.com/uploads/2019_VE_TV_Shootout_Results_copy.pdf

This is misleading.

All you need to do is check the shootout results or talk to a professional calibrator or owning both. OLED wins fair and square in most categories including HDR easily against 1,500+ nits QLEDs / LED-LCDs.

All this talk about peak brightness goes void once you put these TVs side by side.

https://www.valueelectronics.com/uploads/2019_VE_TV_Shootout_Results_copy.pdf
We are talking about 2 different things.

Why Mini LED then Micro LED? Why not just stick at 800 nits. Ive seen side by side comparisons and Oled looks great but Even Vincent says that the best HDR experience is with LED. The difference is not just brightness but colour volume.

LED can't touch OLED for black levels. But the black levels are good enough in the top end TVs. OLED can't touch LED for brightness and colour volume. Both technologiesIare a trade off. I prefer the latter.

The newer technologies will not have this trade off.

@Coulson are you thinking about a purchase?
Nope. Did you think I would be? I'm very happy with my TV so unless the G950 comes down to a silly price I'm content to wait and see what on the TCL. Even then, it would have to be 1000 nits minimum with OLED blacks (I'm currently 1500 nits), decent upscaling and motion processing (Sony? nuff sed) and 95%+ DCI colour volume.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom