NEWS: Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder

Mine's been fine. I changed it to RF so I could use it with my Sonos Playbar, might be worth trying that to see if it makes it more stable, otherwise look at getting it replaced maybe.
Thanks Stevie, I think I've tried that, but will try anyway.

I’ve noticed a couple of series records have failed, I’ve got in touch with human but there response was to rescan the channels again (basically try turning it off and on again) anyone else had this happen?
It’s when a series goes to iPlayer, ie first episode broadcast only then they add the whole series to iPlayer and the icon changes on the guide to tell you it’s on catchup. This has cancelled my series record, if I re add series record then it does record the remainder fine but it’s not ideal to have to keep checking that something going to record next week.

I seem to be getting stereo sound and no 5.1 from the box freeview hd channels surround programmes. I have connected via hdmi humax>soundbar>tv. Followed the predefined settings on the box for this configuration. Still no 5.1. Just pcm stereo. My soundbar works with aac to provide freeview 5.1 surround sound. Is this the box or a faulty box? Is there a further setting I am missing. Surround is auto.

I’ve reset and changed cabling.

No change

Soundbar is lg SN11RG, it works with 5.1 from our lg tv through eArC. However humax do the soundbar no 5.1 for freeview channels. The apps all work 5.1 or Dolby atmos.

Home and Away is 5.1 and strictly are 5.1 can anyone confirm?

I got one of these Aura boxes last week and so far I have had a few issues.

- I could not receive BBC News HD and BBC4 HD even though I have 100% signal and my TVs tuner displays it with no problems. After 5 retunes I finally got these channel but it sometimes comes up with a low signal warning before displaying the channel.

- I have had a blank screen but with the sound when viewing Freeview. The android menus worked fine, it only seemed to effect Freeview. I had to do a reset (ie pulled the power) which fixed this.

- Whilst watching freeview the image drops out for a few seconds and then returns. This can happen half a dozen times in a TV program.

- Apple TV fails to load.

Have I got a bad box or are these Auras still plauged with issues?

Last edited:
@Razor I have a Humax box, not the new Aura but I expect that the same thing applies, you can have too much signal strength with Humax and it causes the same problems your having, it seems they just don't like 100% signal strength, I bought a signal attenuator from Google and it solved all my signal problems, dropped the strength to about 85%. They are quite cheap and easy to fit as they are in line with the ariel cable.

Amazon product ASIN B07MY3JKSY

@Razor where abouts are you. Ive been having issues with my bedroom TVs signal but I happen to know the aerial is pointing towards the Bilsdale transmitter which burnt down recently and has a temporary stand in mast in operation ATM

@Razor I have a Humax box, not the new Aura but I expect that the same thing applies, you can have too much signal strength with Humax and it causes the same problems your having, it seems they just don't like 100% signal strength, I bought a signal attenuator from Google and it solved all my signal problems, dropped the strength to about 85%. They are quite cheap and easy to fit as they are in line with the ariel cable.

Amazon product ASIN B07MY3JKSY

Thank you for the reply. I have just got off the phone to Humax and they pretty much echoed your post about too much signal stregth. They are going to send me out an attenuator.

As for Apple TV apparently this is a knonw issue.

@Razor where abouts are you. Ive been having issues with my bedroom TVs signal but I happen to know the aerial is pointing towards the Bilsdale transmitter which burnt down recently and has a temporary stand in mast in operation ATM

OH dear. I am in London.

Probably not the same issue then. Bilsdale is Tyne Tees although I'm on North Yorkshire.

My transmitter is just about 3 miles away I can see it out of my window, I fitted an ariel in my loft pointing straight at it, was always great for signals before I got a Humax box, I've had 4 now over about 18 years, I found out about their signal strength issue on my first one from my good friend Google. I couldn't believe it at first but hey it fixed it :D

I can see the Winter Hill transmitter mast if I was brave/ stupid enough to stand on my roof so my signal strength and quality stands at 100% on BBC HD news, the lowest power multiplex from Winter Hill.
I fitted a -12dB attenuator and the Humax Aura now reports 94% signal strength with quality still at 100%, good enough. After a couple of days I can say that I am no longer seeing low signal messages at switch on.

Humax are doing £50 off the Aura box with promo code 'AURA50' if anyone was holding out based on price. Makes it a chunk cheaper than even Amazon.

Just placed my order as finally fed up of my clunky old YouView box that has been killed by over ambitious software changes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom