NEWS: IFA 2017: New JVC e-Shift 5 Projectors announced

Projector manufacturers need to start offering 4k and HDR as standard as cheap 100 inch LCD Tv's are not far away and can be used anywhere

I'm 90% sure most of the updates could be done via software but JVC really wants to bring out a new model each year now it seems. And although they made a very good improvement with their 5/7xxxx models 2 years ago since then they seem to want to capitalize on that as long as they can every year with a small incremental release.
And really ... a 5th generation on this e-shift pseudo 4K stuff is getting rather tiring and shows a lack of commitment in really making the step to true 4k.

Like has already been said, it's a bit same old, same old. JVC need bring out a new chassis and native 4k as they risk being left behind.

The trouble is a JVC native 4k needs to be at £5k max starting price and that seems to be beyond their goal ATM.

Will these be HDMI2.1?

Martin

A cheap 100" LCD TV ? Not sure that is on the horizon to be fair. I guess it depends on your view of cheap.

Agree I was hoping jvc would have gone past e shift by now. Best part of £8k for a 1080p machine looks a tough sell. " emperors new clothes"?

Nothing will be hdmi 2.1 this model year will it. At least these are 18 gpbs which most of the Sony and Epson models are not. They will be very good I am sure and will keep the current fan base most likely but not going to win many new converts I suspect

Will these be HDMI2.1?

Martin

Based on these specifications;

"The new projectors are compatible with the ‘full spec’ of 4K video on the 18Gbps transmission band, including 4K/60p 4:4:4, 4K/60p 4:2:2/36bit, 4K/24p 4:4:4/36bit. They also fully support HDCP 2.2, which enables playback of copyright-protected content."

I'd say no.

I think this is a good news, thought since the X5000 series (and above) JVC didn't do much improvement so i am not really tempted replacing mine... not just yet. I don't really miss 4K panel either.
In my opinion, JVC projectors are the best when it comes to home theatre and pure image quality at any scene.

Tag line for the article says "....Autumn 2018..." - presume this should be Autumn 2017?!

I'll be keeping my X9500 until a new laser native 4K machine is announced with contrast that comes close to the 9500. Until then I am happy as.

A cheap 100" LCD TV ? Not sure that is on the horizon to be fair. I guess it depends on your view of cheap.

Sony have a 75 incher for under £5k rrp. That scored 9/10 so give it a couple of years. That in itself may well give someone who is contemplating a 100 inch projected image pause for thought....No bat cave needed and far superior HDR and real 4k

I know and that is a very good tv but just look at the price difference to even 88" TVs and the extra screen size multiplies price many times over. We will not see a 100 set as good as the Sony for £5k in 2 years or any time soon.

Samsung qe88q9fam a very reasonable £17799.00

I know and that is a very good tv but just look at the price difference to even 88" TVs and the extra screen size multiplies price many times over. We will not see a 100 set as good as the Sony for £5k in 2 years or any time soon.
I reckon hisense will knock one out in the Next 2/3 years

May be but did find an lg 86" led 4K at about £7 k so maybe

even an 86" TV is tiny compared to a 120-140" screen.

Yes but most folks with a pj will have a screen size around 100" diagonal, and if you had a 4k tv you could watch from 5ft with no problem and that will still look huge:)

still a very different image to that of a pj - I think a "cheap" 100" 4k tv would be a pretty poor picture - so if you need the best panels "mucho dinero" - and prices will stay high as I cant see a 100" panel being a normal size ever in reality.

JVC like most manufactures bring out yearly incremental updates, which is great for new customers but unless the update is big it’s normally pointless for existing owners to upgrade. (As a rule of thumb a projector should be good for at least 3 years)

A good time to look at the new projectors is when the lamp is coming up for replacement, as then you will have got good use out of the projector, and projector technology will probably have moved on a fair bit.

Personally I think 2 in 1 would be better, this being achieved by having a short throw projector (In the place where the TV would normally be) with all the smart features, and a screen size of your choice. (For general viewing you could even use the wall) This would probably also work out cheaper and be more domestically acceptable as a 100” TV would be more bulky and obtrusive then a roll up 120” screen.

Bill

I couldn't think of anything worse than walking into a 'living room' and seeing an 80" plus sized TV...chavtastic as some might say. So regardless of TV prices I wouldn't want a huge TV to replace my pj setup.

I can't wait to find some time to finish 'hiding' my fixed projector screen so my more modest 50" TV is all that is on show. Visitors say they've stopped noticing it behind the TV but it irks me every time I walk in there. Had a few (more important) family issues taking up my spare time this year though.

I reckon I'm still another generation off an upgrade yet though. More black velvet and a new lamp if it comes to it, can't see these giving me anything I currently need with only 1080p rec709 sources. Still be interested to hear what they are about, though forgive me if I roll my eyes when dealers say that they are amazing compared to the current ones once in stock. ;)

bit naughty of jvc, users have only just forked out for theX-?500 models appx 7 -8 months ago. not the best way to get customer loyalty.

I will be watching with interest to see if this means a nice reduction on the X5500. It would look very competitive around the price of a TW9300.

Until a well priced real 4K PJ with few compromises comes along I think it is unwise to spend much more than £2-3000

bit naughty of jvc, users have only just forked out for theX-?500 models appx 7 -8 months ago. not the best way to get customer loyalty.

Do the old models stop working when these are released then? ;)

Seriously though, I don't see why anyone with last year's model should worry much - these new models apear to offer nothing new, so there's no need to upgrade, and second hand values are therefore unlikely to take a big hit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom