NEWS: IFA 2017: Toshiba re-enters market with 4K OLED HDR TV

Will be interesting to see what price they launch at, and how well the smart system works, Tosh arn't exactly known for great software.

Will be interesting to see what price they launch at, and how well the smart system works, Tosh arn't exactly known for great software.
And how their PQ / processor and motion system fair; all of which, Toshiba have been very forward on stating it to be their work and not Vestel.

Welcome Back Tosh

And how their PQ / processor and motion system fair; all of which, Toshiba have been very forward on stating it to be their work and not Vestel.
Yeah hopefully it's good, it will give us more choice and hopefully better pricing too

Last edited:
Blast from the past , my last CRT and first HD ready displays were Toshiba.

My first surround TV was a Tosh Happy Memories with this TV my first 28" TV i ever brought

Very long video, just fast forward and have a look at the TVs. The wall one called poster TV is stunning

Toshiba never really had the same kudos in display technology as the likes of Sony & Panasonic, but back in the day they made huge CRT's that reviewed pretty well.

However, I had a 32" Toshiba LCD and it was bloomin' awful... a terribly slow interface and a mushy picture.

I hope their OS and picture processing have improved.

Toshiba never really had the same kudos in display technology as the likes of Sony & Panasonic, but back in the day they made huge CRT's that reviewed pretty well.

However, I had a 32" Toshiba LCD and it was bloomin' awful... a terribly slow interface and a mushy picture.

I hope their OS and picture processing have improved.

Yup they certainly did on the CRT front, now that was a two man lift :eek:. From someone that has dealings with their heavy industry side today , well they seem rather backwards thinking on the tech front even today.

I've viewed a few of Toshibas recent new LED offerings, and the picture has been very very good. However the chassis has been that of a tank and I think that will be a problem for the LED market - hopefully the OLED chassis's are more inline with those from Sony and LG

I had a 32" picture frame CRT and it weighed in at 65kg!

I remember delivering these to customers, loved selling them, hated delivering them, trying to get a 36'' model into a house was never fun.

Although of course the biggest question overall is whether it'll start up with the classic HELLO message
Hah! Gone are the days of you can tell where your money went in the weight and build of that.

Hello tosh got a vestel ...

I gotta admit I am in the "other" camp when it comes to Smart TV - the less money spent by Toshiba developing it is all the better for me as I quite simply wouldn't use any of it.

Be interesting to see how this stacks up against the B7 as it seems to be the cheapest 4K OLED right from launch day.

Yeah, much the Smart TV stuff is on a countdown anyway as to when this ap or that gets cut.
Considering the press initially had the Tosh's without HDR etc. it's looking pretty well equipped. Whether they'll include the prerequisite 5 year warranty of late is up in the air as of yet.

Like I said Good old Tosh I think I got one of the first surround TVs my 28" Tosh was grey and stuck out like a sore thumb and had these silly little surround spks it was just a basic surround TV nothing special. My wife said that Toshiba TVs had there own smell and she liked it ( must be something that tosh at the time added to the TV to keep the wifes happy and not asking how much it cost! Brought at Dixions ( Think it was £800 at the time might be wrong) If I can remember correctly we loved the TV Never had any problem with it at all. Sold it to my Dad went for years until he died in 2000.I wish I had of kept it the only reason I sold it was I brought the Sony 28" CRT trinitron what bunch of CRAP that turned out to be very bad geometry colour patches all over the screen and at a cost of £2,000!!! and there was no hand grips to lift it once you got it off the pallet. Hope the new TVs do well look after the name she was a Good old Girl

Vestel tends to be hit and miss in picture quality and settings, but at least the X97 supports HDR unlike the earlier news report about the model (*on some other site).

This could be good, the more OLED makers the merrier.

Vestel tends to be hit and miss in picture quality and settings, but at least the X97 supports HDR unlike the earlier news report about the model (*on some other site).

This could be good, the more OLED makers the merrier.
We'll soon know and see if Toshiba's QC squad have a tight rein on Vestel in production.

Surely to come in as low as £1600 for a 55" they must be pretty old panels?

Probably leftover 2015's that the bigger boys don't want.

Have a 2008, toshiba 37" 1080p TV at me mams still going strong, pretty good picture on it still, if these do review well I would certainly consider one.

Surely to come in as low as £1600 for a 55" they must be pretty old panels?

Probably leftover 2015's that the bigger boys don't want.

Have a 2008, toshiba 37" 1080p TV at me mams still going strong, pretty good picture on it still, if these do review well I would certainly consider one.

These use 2017 panels ... vestel are obviously counting that they can undercut everybody else by at least a couple of hundred quid and use Toshiba's expertise and name to be taken seriously.

Toshiba are also launching a wallpaper oled which they are calling Poster TV so they seem pretty serious to me ...

I love the wallpaper TVs, but hate the big ass conected boxes that seems to be a requirement at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom