NEWS: LG 48-inch OLED TV now available in UK

Currently showing out of stock on the Curry's website.
I'm really not sure this is going to be primarily bought by gamers, it's a whacking great unit to be sat directly in front of, what with the burn in issues too, hours and hours of the same screen showing isn't gonna be good for it.
My mum wants a new TV to replace her aging Philips plasma. She said she wanted one like mine (Panny OLED) but the gap her TV stand is in will only allow a maximum of just over 50". Now this is (sort of) available I'll probably order one for her.
This could also be the bedroom TV that may will get to replace ageing 32"ers.

As many have said before, this is aimed at people who can't fit a larger screen (or don't want a larger screen) but want an OLED. This means it could be more than a 55" and would still get some interest. I'm in this category as i have a 42" panny plasma from 2005 which has a huge frame around it and standing instructions from Mrs Meltonboy to "not get a bigger TV". The unit is smaller than current so happy days, assuming she doesn't spot my loop hole argument.

I'm very interested. My only hesitation is when would the price fall and if i can hold out (i've had the current set for 15 years so another 3 or 4 months won't hurt).

MB

As many have said before, this is aimed at people who can't fit a larger screen (or don't want a larger screen) but want an OLED. This means it could be more than a 55" and would still get some interest. I'm in this category as i have a 42" panny plasma from 2005 which has a huge frame around it and standing instructions from Mrs Meltonboy to "not get a bigger TV". The unit is smaller than current so happy days, assuming she doesn't spot my loop hole argument.

I'm very interested. My only hesitation is when would the price fall and if i can hold out (i've had the current set for 15 years so another 3 or 4 months won't hurt).

MB

I’m in a similar position, I’m still using my 42” Panasonic G10 Plasma and don’t want a 55” set because I’m convinced that most of the stuff I watch will look worse on a 55” OLED. I will hold fire to see what other 48” OLEDs come out, but this LG 48” is a step in the right direction for my requirements :)

I'm also on the lookout to replace my ageing 42" Pioneer Kuro plasma and don't want to go bigger than 50". After a lot of dilly dallying, I've decided to get Sony's 48" OLED instead (KD-48A9). Not gonna be cheap I know, but with Sony you usually get what you pay for.

Quick check in and, predictably, an early reply (In this case the very first one) mentions burn-in. Massive sigh...

It’s like they’re out there, waiting

Quick check in and, predictably, an early reply (In this case the very first one) mentions burn-in. Massive sigh...

Yeah sad. What a muppet he is. I'm loving my OLED. Can't ever go back. My Xbox looks incredible on it

I’m in a similar position, I’m still using my 42” Panasonic G10 Plasma and don’t want a 55” set because I’m convinced that most of the stuff I watch will look worse on a 55” OLED. I will hold fire to see what other 48” OLEDs come out, but this LG 48” is a step in the right direction for my requirements :)
Good point about the content you watch affecting screen size. I’ll be interested to see how the Sony 48” compares to the LG as I keep coming back to 55” being too big for our room and I do watch quite a few classic (old) movies with pretty ropey image quality but then would like to see some 4K Netflix too.

Currently showing out of stock on the Curry's website.
I'm really not sure this is going to be primarily bought by gamers, it's a whacking great unit to be sat directly in front of, what with the burn in issues too, hours and hours of the same screen showing isn't gonna be good for it.
My mum wants a new TV to replace her aging Philips plasma. She said she wanted one like mine (Panny OLED) but the gap her TV stand is in will only allow a maximum of just over 50". Now this is (sort of) available I'll probably order one for her.
This could also be the bedroom TV that may will get to replace ageing 32"ers.

Actually a lot of gamers and especially PC gamers have been waiting for the tv to be released because it offers a lot of bang for the money when you compare it to a similar priced pc monitors.

Expensive but tempting for the advantages of OLED. I could just about fit a 55'' but weary of noticing upscaling. A Sony 49'' UHD I tried a few years ago had a softer picture with BD compared to a FHD screen. Perhaps a 48'' with superior upscaling will be fine with FHD sources? I could continue with watching 1080p content, check out UHD 4K and get the benefit of OLED.

Expensive but tempting for the advantages of OLED. I could just about fit a 55'' but weary of noticing upscaling. A Sony 49'' UHD I tried a few years ago had a softer picture with BD compared to a FHD screen. Perhaps a 48'' with superior upscaling will be fine with FHD sources? I could continue with watching 1080p content, check out UHD 4K and get the benefit of OLED.

Well the 48" OLED has a much higher pixel density than the 55"so if should look super super sharp even from close up.

Very interesting to hear about the pixel density, I'm looking forward to a review.

One of the PC World reviews says that it doesn't have iPlayer.. is that because it's a new set and the BBC haven't rolled it out yet?

Actually a lot of gamers and especially PC gamers have been waiting for the tv to be released because it offers a lot of bang for the money when you compare it to a similar priced pc monitors.
Now that surprises me. I like OLED, I came to it from Plasma, being a very light gamer I wasn't worried about burn in, surely an OLED specifically as a gaming monitor would be a bad thing, purely from the burn in perspective?

One of the PC World reviews says that it doesn't have iPlayer.. is that because it's a new set and the BBC haven't rolled it out yet?
I believe all of the 2020 LGs are missing UK tv catchup services, not just bbc. As Jono17 says, it's coming.

Does anyone know the difference between LG OLED48CX5LC and the LG OLED48CX5LB?

Purely cosmetic difference i believe , the colour of the frame surround is different.

I'm not being like that at all, I'm not anti OLED at all, I have a Panny OLED myself and am very pleased with it, zero burn in for me. Don't be so sensitive
I've read and seen long term static image tests that show OLEDs do suffer if there is a static image on the screen for a prolonged length of time, which for me would make it unsuitable as a gaming specific monitor? That was really the point I was trying to make.
For casual gaming they're fine, but 100% gaming????

It's a very valid point, and something many will want to consider, for reasons other than the simple degradation of picture for the user :)

Yeah sad. What a muppet he is. I'm loving my OLED. Can't ever go back. My Xbox looks incredible on it
Hmmm, a muppet am I? Please see me most recent reply to the other sensitive soul, I'm not anti-OLED at all, my post even included that I own one with zero criticism of it.

It is not a valid point anymore, probably hasn’t been since the 2018 models.

And I’m not being sensitive at all - just pointing out the standard behaviour of someone starting on about burn-in as soon as there’s a thread about an OLED. Happens every single time

It is not a valid point anymore, probably hasn’t been since the 2018 models.

Could you explain why it isn’t a valid point anymore?

Because, from my point of view, understanding that my OLED will likely experience pixel wear, due to the nature of the organic technology employed and because I spent a lot of the time playing video games on it, and hence not last as long as my Samsung F8000 which is already 7 years old with no issues, was an important part of my purchasing decision. Even so, for me, the positives of the technology outweighed the negatives.

OLEDs will experience burn in at some point - it’s an inherent part of the technology.

Picture issues aside, some may not mind that you get slight artefacts on the display in certain situations, and instead are more concerned about the fact that they’re buying into a technology that has a shorter finite lifespan than competing technologies, and is disposed of quicker.

To say it’s not a valid point is critically incorrect - people have different reasons for buying different products.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom