NEWS: LG plans 48-inch OLED TV

Don't hold your breath!
I emailed LG twice this last month asking about whether a smaller OLED was due 2020 and here is my response after finding out that they had no plans and their follow up email. Got to say I'm disappointed that nothing is planned but full marks to LG for keeping me informed.

M: It’s quite confusing as most the AV forums, WhatHiFi etc. all state that LG are definitely going into production on smaller than 55” OLEDs in 2020 in either 1st 2nd or 3rd quarter. I don’t have the space for anything bigger than a 50” but obviously wanted the latest technology. Currys and John Lewis say they are always been asked by customers for 48-50” sizes!
I will just have to make do with LG Nanocell or QLED or Sony if you are sure there is no chance of LG producing in 2020. I would obviously be very miffed if I get what I consider 2nd best old technology and then LG change their minds!
Is it worth asking the question again of your South Korean colleagues in Guangzhou or Paju?

LG:
The sizes of OLED TV’s is something we raise to the team pretty much every year.
Currently it seems that if we was to produce a smaller size for example a 49 inch the cost would be the same as the 55 inch. With this product and its cost customers often want a large size to justify the cost. This is similar to some technologies we are used to now days which back in the day were simply not cost effective to use for smaller size screens.
At this time like Chloe said we have no information stating that LG plan to release an OLED smaller than the current range as part of our 2020 releases.
Maybe LG are only producing the panels & not the TVs. Maybe Sony, Panasonic or Hisense are producing the Television itself?

Maybe information is restricted ahead of a CES launch, or maybe it is panel production rather than TV as suggested above.

In any event, i can't fit a 55" so cost comparison to that is irrelevant to me. CES will be here soon and i'd suggest if it isn't there in some shape, it is unlikely to appear on shelves soon.

Fingers crossed

MB

I have been waiting for years for a 48-49 inch OLED TV. I am hoping the price is below £1000 as well.
I do like to keep up with best in picture quality but now we are in a Housing Association House with small room downstairs, now that my wife and I are retired. I expect there are many people like us that if they had a 55" or bigger TV,would look out of place.

Much as I would like a 48" or similar, newer TV, to me the most important thing is source material.
I don't watch sport and tend to watch a lot of 'old' TV programmes including black and white films so I suppose whether it's OLED or QLED is irrelevant really.
I also like to watch classical concerts and so subscribe to the Digital Concert Hall and I wish there was more material like this on main stream TV but of course that would never be the case.

As I read from another person, I just hope that whoever brings out a OLED which is either 48 or 49 inches is in the region of £900. At the present we have a Hisense H50U7A.. Pretty good picture but only when it is viewed square on.

As I read from another person, I just hope that whoever brings out a OLED which is either 48 or 49 inches is in the region of £900. At the present we have a Hisense H50U7A.. Pretty good picture but only when it is viewed square on.
It’s already out. The LG CX 48 is £1499.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom