NEWS: LG regards HDR10+ as unnecessary

Source: AVForums interview with LG /Dolby
Image Source: Dolby
If Prime uses HDR10+ then I want my £1500 TV to support HDR10+
Come on AVF - get behind us consumers

It’s pathetic. From both sides, consumers losing out and left confused when purchasing

Source: AVForums interview with LG /Dolby
Image Source: Dolby
If Prime uses HDR10+ then I want my £1500 TV to support HDR10+
Come on AVF - get behind us consumers
We are, we managed to get an interview, ask the question and get an answer many on the forums have been asking. You now know the reasoning from their point of view.

Lg not supporting Hdr10+ is frustrating. Samsung not supporting Dolby Vision is criminal. There is no comparison between Hdr10+ and Dolby Vision. Samsung owner are missing out on the best HDR experience you can have.

Very interesting article. Thank you Phil.
Personally I Love Dolby Vision, and it was cool to know that LG is already doing something similat to HDR10+ "behind the scenes".
I would be fascinated to see some stills comparing a) Movie scenes in Dolby Vision, & the same scenes in HDR10+, and b) scenes from Prime on an LG & the same but on a comparable Samsung (To see if this claim that LG sets "sort of" have HDR10+ already is true.)

Could that be something that AVF could / would be willing to do, Phil?

I'm actually very confused how people are bashing LG and Samsung, but Sony is totally hiding out of sight and keeping it quiet. They are doing the same thing that LG is, but are getting 0 backlash. I believe that both formats should be on as many TV's as possible (just look at what Hisense, TCL, Vizio, Panasonic and Philips are doing by supporting both formats), but it is all about principles at this point.

Lack of HDR10+ = Storm in a teacup :)

HDR10+ is dead man walking. Samsung will do as much as it can to keep it alive.

Disney acquired parent company 21st Century Fox in March 2019 and immediately ousted a couple of key figures, including executives responsible for Fox's decision to ditch Dolby Vision in favor of HDR10+.

The idea of an open architecture behind HDR10+ was good. But, Dolby vision at this point is so far ahead that it is unlikely that HDR10+ will ever catch it. If Samsung had supported Dolby vision, they would have done the world a big favor. Countless people buying a new TV agonize over whether to go Samsung/LG-Sony and one of the leading reasons is Dolby Vison/lack thereof.

Started a thread on Samsungs forums about lack of DV support doing nothing but hurting customers and there's pages and pages of annoyed customers only now realising its missing or it being a deciding factor in mot purchasing a Samsung.
Tbh hdr is so hit and miss and 100% down to the film maker/broadcaster in how its implemented that I'm not that bothered personally, but would have been a nice feature on my q9.

Personally I'm fully behind HDR10+ because not only can it be as good as Dolby Vision, but it also brings more benefits to medium-range TVs while Dolby Vision is not much different to basic HDR10 on those sets.

Also with HDR10+ you get complete freedom of expression as a movie creator, as opposed to DV which has imposed restrictions by Dolby.

Dolby Vision is clearly going to win the war vs HDR10+ IMO.

this is a very lazy news article, taking a subset of a news interview from weeks ago and trying to do some retrospective thinking that should have been done at the time of the video release.

No attempt to even indicate the the time relevant section in the video where the quotes come from? just a lazy dump of the same old video.

In the time between the interview and now, why no desire to go back and ask some more probing questions; LG seemed to have had a similar DV or DV IQ technology in place years ago and still do, why not ask which they think is better, theirs or DV? or better do some analysis and present AVFourm findings?

AVForums attribute a couple of paragraphs on how HDR10+ works from a organisation/person that are not a member of any industry organisations that represent the rival HDR10+ process/consortium. it would of been much better to indicated that AVforums subsequently reached out to the HDR10+ consortium to double confirm these aspects eg if trim passes are made or not makde. Or at least confirm that this is correct or ask the HDR10+ consortium for a response on this statement, you might have got some interesting news?

I guess AV Forums is not the New York Times or BBC. They can’t put ten people on the story for a month. I personally had never seen LG so publicly upfront about their decision to avoid the format so it was worthwhile to me.

I don't get why is everybody so willing to fill Dolbys pockets when there is an open standard that will provide the same experience in most cases.

I don't get why is everybody so willing to fill Dolbys pockets when there is an open standard that will provide the same experience in most cases.
Possibly because DV was available and mature some years ago - HDR10+ was late to the Race.

I guess AV Forums is not the New York Times or BBC. They can’t put ten people on the story for a month. I personally had never seen LG so publicly upfront about their decision to avoid the format so it was worthwhile to me.

LG seem to have a viable alternative initiated years ago; that has be enriched over various iterations. It does not take ten people, it only takes one with some critical thinking to explore and ask a few questions and then to present the findings/references/examples in a coherent manner. Basic undergrad analysis not carried out.

20th Century Fox (co-founder of HDR10+): Disney acquired parent company 21st Century Fox in March 2019 and immediately ousted a couple of key figures, including executives responsible for Fox's decision to ditch Dolby Vision in favor of HDR10+. Disney+ is DV.

Panasonic (co-founder of HDR10+): Have sidelined it in favour of Dolby Vision in their press coverages. With the introduction of Dolby Vision IQ, it is clear indication where things are heading to.

Samsung (the last man standing): Will pay big bucks behind the closed doors to streaming providers and authoring studios to keep it alive.

It is clear that Dolby have won on the AV front with 4K HDR / Atmos after decades of playing sitting ducks to THX, DTS and IMAX.

LG seem to have a viable alternative initiated years ago; that has be enriched over various iterations. It does not take ten people, it only takes one with some critical thinking to explore and ask a few questions and then to present the findings/references/examples in a coherent manner. Basic undergrad analysis not carried out.
Well we will have to agree to disagree. The site is managed by few people doing a lot of things. They brought to us the relevant information as to why LG were not interested in applying the format. It is unlikely it could ever be a major piece with input from various other parties. Given it is presented free here no complaints from me. I got what I needed to know.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. The site is managed by few people doing a lot of things. They brought to us the relevant information as to why LG were not interested in applying the format. It is unlikely it could ever be a major piece with input from various other parties. Given it is presented free here no complaints from me. I got what I needed to know.
I agree with you. I am sure as well that to keep access to all the people / gear / presentations, it is a diplomatic dance; speaking the truth about things without putting any Companies' nose so out of joint or pressing a point so hard that they get "cut off".

the feedback is not about putting ""Companies' nose so out of joint or pressing a point so hard that they get "cut off""; it is about AVForums presenting old news/ lazy analysis / creating "click bait" as a substitute of applying some critical thinking.

Possibly because DV was available and mature some years ago - HDR10+ was late to the Race.
maybe....... but in those early HDR days none of the TVs really supported any format. The list of unmet requirements was quite longer then the other one for both formats. And HDR 10+ came out pretty soon after that, still before TV were really ready for HDR in any form. Add to that a bunch of DV problems on many equipment...... And yet they always go for some proprietary licensed stuff instead of free open standards.

I can see why LG think HDR10+ is unnecessary as dolby vision is clearly better,I own a Samsung and can't really tell a difference between the 2 playing the same content on my Nvidia shield in HDR10 and HDR10+ on the tv apps and my 4k firestick

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom