NEWS: Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade

Looked at this, as I'm in the market for a high end (ish) streamer, and having one with a decent phono stage too.

And while the updated Majik follows the new form factor and design language of the recent Linn Selekt, it has fixed specs whereas the Selekt is modular and upgradable, allowing one to chose the top end Katayst DAC as a module.

Judging by the Linn forums discussion thread, the Selekt streamer seems to be better received than this newer generation Majik streamer, albeit it's a lot cheaper than the Selekt.

Watched the video stream of the launch.

Zoom failed, Facebook failed, Youtube worked, mikes weren't set up correctly. Not very impressive.

2.0 only even though they have multiple HDMI inputs for TVs etc, do they not realise that 2.0 is very 20th Century.

Was not a good launch if you ask me.

Watched the video stream of the launch.

Zoom failed, Facebook failed, Youtube worked, mikes weren't set up correctly. Not very impressive.

2.0 only even though they have multiple HDMI inputs for TVs etc, do they not realise that 2.0 is very 20th Century.

Was not a good launch if you ask me.
I wasn't / wouldn't expect full surround on their entry level streamer.
They are catering more for their more audiophile audience, for some of whom 2.0 is ok.
So while it appears a bit half hearted, it does offer a complete (ish) solution for some, while other competing streamers offer even less on the HDMI connection front.

The bigger issue with Linn is that the surround module upgrade on their mid and higher end streamers is extremely extremely expensive. Much as the Selekt is an excellent product, especially with its modular nature, the surround module / HDMI switcher is an extra 5 grand, which makes it a non-starter for me (was thinking about the Selekt as a hub).

So given how expensive their surround modules are, they were never going to include it on their entry level streamer which retails for 3k.

here is the youtube link- it doesn't start for about 15 mins

There is a serious problem with the new Majik. It has no Exakt links so is a dead end product. Absolutely no upgrade path.

There is a serious problem with the new Majik. It has no Exakt links so is a dead end product. Absolutely no upgrade path.
Did the previous Malik have upgrade options?
if it did, then yes that makes the new one a bit odd.
That said, I’m sure Linn have a better insight to how many Malik customers actually upgrade than we do

Yes it did. Exakt and active were possible. My 2015 Majik DSM is connected to and Exaktbox-i driving a pair of Majik 140s and it's utterly wonderful to listen to. My upgrade path is Katalyst for the Exaktbox.

Yes it did. Exakt and active were possible. My 2015 Majik DSM is connected to and Exaktbox-i driving a pair of Majik 140s and it's utterly wonderful to listen to. My upgrade path is Katalyst for the Exaktbox.

Thanks, yes thats what I suspected (I'm not deep in Linn world).
Maybe Linn know that a good proportion of Majik buyers dont upgrade, just speculating of course, though they'll have much better data that we will.

I do like the aesthetics, in the same way as the Selekt - their components were beginning to look a little early 00's to me, so needed a refreshed look. I've had my eye on the Selekt for a while, as the centre piece of my setup, but the surround module is so damned expensive, taking the Selekt that I would want from 6 to 11 grand. That seems excessive to me. I did have a Linn Movie Classic for a few years, but wasn't overly enamoured of its sound - probably not representative of Linn's music capability more general.

Anyway, off topic rant over!

Just as an FYI, the surround upgrade for Selekt is this:
Selekt DSM ÂŁ4,500
Comprises Surround Sound Processing module,HDMI switching module, 2 x standard DACs, 2 x line out cartridges

Just as an FYI, the surround upgrade for Selekt is this:
Selekt DSM ÂŁ4,500
Comprises Surround Sound Processing module,HDMI switching module, 2 x standard DACs, 2 x line out cartridges
Indeed, 4.5k is an awful lot for a surround upgrade.
That makes the Selekt that i want around 11k - base model, Katalyst and `Surround.
Thats too much to me

Has anyone heard this yet? I am wondering how the new class D power amp sounds? And how it will sound paired bi-amped to my B&W CM9 S2s with a Majik 2100 power amp?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom