NEWS: Marantz announces 8K ready SR series AV Receivers

I realize this is about Marantz and these do look great but is there ever going to be an update from Sony? Their ZA5000ES is getting pretty long in the tooth and lacking a lot of the features I like on this Marantz.

I wish there was a stripped down version of the SR8015 - I don't want my AV receiver to be at the center of everything - that's the TV's job. I want the 11 powered channels, Airplay 2, DTS:X and Atmos but with eARC I just want the receiver to be converting digital audio into powering the speakers, nothing more.

If you want to ask about Sony updates just create a thread and ask the question.

Thankfully they have retained the 7.1 analog input which is missing from the majority of AVR's these days.

It would be interesting to see what the average is for unused channels on today’s 9,11 and 13 channel amps are in typical users’ systems.
Of course I can speak only for myself, but my parlour and kitchen systems use 9-channel receivers. In the parlour when playing Blu-rays I use an external stereo amplifier to get 11-channel processing. In the kitchen I have single back surround loudspeaker, so I use the receiver's processing to feed 8 speakers when playing 5.1 or 7.1 Blu-rays. (With sources other than Blu-rays, I use no processing and run the 2.0 or 5.1 sources straight.) My bedroom systems both use seven-channel receivers.

So the cheaper NR models still retain the FM tuner, whereas, FM has been missing from the SR's for quite a while. Any idea why? Just curious.
I love the FM tuner also, and I deplore its absence from an increasing number of receivers and processors.

I wish there was a stripped down version of the SR8015 - I don't want my AV receiver to be at the center of everything - that's the TV's job. I want the 11 powered channels, Airplay 2, DTS:X and Atmos but with eARC I just want the receiver to be converting digital audio into powering the speakers, nothing more.
Ah, different people take different views. I regard the TV as simply a passive display of either Freeview HD TV from the external antenna or of HDMI inputs. I don't use ARC in any form. I do want my AV receiver to be at the centre of everything. And I suppose if the AV manufacturers tried to cater for people of your AV receiver requirements as well as mine, then they would have to operate two or more separate lines of products. And there will be other people whose AV receiver requirements differ again from yours or mine. So it's simpler for the AV receiver manufacturers to produce at least one, and that's usually the top, model that does everything, and any individual user accepts that certain features of the receiver will be redundant, for them.

Thankfully they have retained the 7.1 analog input which is missing from the majority of AVR's these days.
When I started in AV in 2008 7.1 analogue inputs were the norm. Now only the top receivers (and even then, not always) have 7.1 analogue inputs. As it happens all my receivers have 7.1 inputs, although in truth even I don't use them very often.

No. Denon and marantz purposefully didn't update any models above their X3500 or their SR6013 model last year. It is well written about that this was purposefully done in expectation of HDMI version 2.1 being introduced this year.

The introduction of the SR6014 had nothing to do with Marantz not replacing the SR7013. They are not even comparable model and the lower tier model isn't as powerful as the model above it and lacks features apparent on the hifgher tier model.
im looking to upgrade my 3050 what would you suggest, its not for the sound its just not future proofed in anyway shape or form.

im looking to upgrade my 3050 what would you suggest, its not for the sound its just not future proofed in anyway shape or form.

The Yamaha RXA3050?

I'd suggest either the Denon AVRX4700 or the Marantz SR7015 as being the most comparable HDMI 2.1 wquipped options in terms of their amplification. You'd have to wait for the Yamaha RX-A8 if wanting another comparable Yamaha receiver inclusive of HDMI version 2.1. Some are suggest it wont be until August before Yamaha even officially announce their new models?

As it stands right now, I'd be inclined to suggest the Matrantz because of the assciated signature sound. You may find the Denon signature sound less favourable after listening to a Yamaha receiver for so long? The Denon sinature sound is often described as being "flat" wheen compared to the sound associated with Yamaha or Marantz models.

Last edited:
@thedude What specific features does the Yamaha 3050 lack that you now decide that you want?

@thedude What specific features does the Yamaha 3050 lack that you now decide that you want?
Only HMDI passthrough of all formats, and also the virgin V6 box wont connect to it correctly. So its 3 hdmi's to the tv and then using optical connections. Its a right pain in the butt

The Yamaha RXA3050?

I'd suggest either the Denon AVRX4700 or the Marantz SR7015 as being the most comparable HDMI 2.1 wquipped options in terms of their amplification. You'd have to wait for the Yamaha RX-A8 if wanting another comparable Yamaha receiver inclusive of HDMI version 2.1. Some are suggest it wont be until August before Yamaha even officially announce their new models?

As it stands right now, I'd be inclined to suggest the Matrantz because of the assciated signature sound. You may find the Denon signature sound less favourable after listening to a Yamaha receiver for so long? The Denon sinature sound is often described as being "flat" wheen compared to the sound associated with Yamaha or Marantz models.
Ill have go do some research on the marantz, i looked at the denon and havent heard it but it was on my radar, marantz wasnt but it is now.

Only HMDI passthrough of all formats, and also the virgin V6 box wont connect to it correctly. So its 3 hdmi's to the tv and then using optical connections. Its a right pain in the butt

The RXA3050 will passthrough anything the Virgin Media V6 can push out. The only thing you are lacking in terms of 4K UHD support is the ability to passthrough Dolby Vision or HLG HDR. Not sure as to what issues you are having with passing the V6's video through the A3050?

I'm using a V6 with a Yamaha RXA1050 without issue.

The RXA3050 will passthrough anything the Virgin Media V6 can push out. The only thing you are lacking in terms of 4K UHD support is the ability to passthrough Dolby Vision or HLG HDR. Not sure as to what issues you are having with passing the V6's video through the A3050?

i had to go direct! the virgin box was all over the place with it.

Coudlnt get it to pass through at all properly, it was all over one side then i changed settings it went black it was a right mess, i went direct and no issues at all

i had to go direct! the virgin box was all over the place with it.

There shouldn't be any issue with passing the output from the V6 through the A3050. The A3050 is HDMI version 2.0 equipped and HDCP 2.2 compiant. I can only suggest that something other than the V6 or A3050 is causing the issue you are having. AS I said, I'm using an A1050 to passthrough video output via a V6 box and I'm also using an LG OLED. The only real difference is that the TV I'm using is newer. I have used other TVs that are older with this setup though.

I'd maybe try different cables?

There shouldn't be any issue with passing the output from the V6 through the A3050. The A3050 is HDMI version 2.0 equipped and HDCP 2.2 compiant. I can only suggest that something other than the V6 or A3050 is causing the issue you are having. AS I said, I'm using an A1050 to passthrough video output via a V6 box and I'm also using an LG OLED. The only real difference is that the TV I'm using is newer. I have used other TVs that are older with this setup though.

I'd maybe try different cables?
It was a a very expensive cable! it still works for other devices i may have a revisit. But its a little annoying that it doesnt pass through. I use the oppo for the fire stick and that has hdmi out twice so that helps.

The price of a cable is no guarantee of its abilities.

Come on Mods! Half a dozen posts on Sony and Yamaha amps?
---
It seems all new AV sources are best going direct to the display and then eARC to the receiver?

How many amp channels do you really want in one box? 9,10,11... seems far too many.

I'm still very happy with a sr7010. I'm struggling to see any reason to upgrade?

Come on Mods! Half a dozen posts on Sony and Yamaha amps?
---
It seems all new AV sources are best going direct to the display and then eARC to the receiver?

How many amp channels do you really want in one box? 9,10,11... seems far too many.

I'm still very happy with a sr7010. I'm struggling to see any reason to upgrade?

Excuse me, but what has your post got to do with the new Marantz receivers?

It is a little hypocritical to critise other posts if you yourself are also not on topic?

eARC and ARC are nothing new and were apparent on older models. The new models have no more channels of application or processing than the models they replace.

No, all new sources are not intended to be connected directly to the display. You'd only do this if unable to pass the video through the AV receiver. The new receivers will passthrough most if not all sources equipped with HDMI version 2.1. The issue is that only one of the inputs on the Marantz models or the new Denon models is 8K compliant. THis shouldn't be an issue unless you've more than one soutrve throwing out an 8K video signal or 4K/120fps.

Last edited:
I'm fortunate to have a large dedicated cinema room and I'm in the market for a new pre/pro that gives me the option to add on front wides or extra heights so I'm hoping Marantz will also be releasing a new 13 channel pre/processor soon after. Of course the 8805 is still an option and I'm starting to see them being discounted, but I always try and future proof my system by buying the latest tech.

I'm really hoping Marantz will be introducing a new Pre/Pro to replace the 8805. Does anyone know how soon after introducing a new model line up they typically release a pre/pro option?

I'm fortunate to have a large dedicated cinema room and I'm in the market for a new pre/pro that gives me the option to add on front wides or extra heights so I'm hoping Marantz will also be releasing a new 13 channel pre/processor soon after. Of course the 8805 is still an option and I'm starting to see them being discounted, but I always try and future proof my system by buying the latest tech.

I'm really hoping Marantz will be introducing a new Pre/Pro to replace the 8805. Does anyone know how soon after introducing a new model line up they typically release a pre/pro option?

You are unlikely to get a new flagship processor this year, but the current AV8805 will be getting a paid upgrade option, giving it the same HDMI 2.1 capabilities being awarded to the new receivers.

They may also start selling a pre upgraded variant of the AV8805 as Denon will do with the AVCX8500?

The Yamaha RXA3050?

I moved from an Onkyo to a Denon and have noticed this. From there i have replaced speakers and sub but never gotten back to that full body sound. With everyone saying how good the Denons are i just assumed it was me.
Is it still the case the Denon would be favored for movies while Marantz is better for music?

Excuse me, but what has your post got to do with the new Marantz receivers?
The OP asked whether the new Marantz receivers offer anything that his old SR7010 didn't. Seems relevent to a discussion on them imo.
'I'm still very happy with a sr7010. I'm struggling to see any reason to upgrade?'
It is a little hypocritical to critise other posts if you yourself are also not on topic?
Something you ought to bear in mind yourself unless, that is, there is a Marantz RXA3050....

If you can't see any reason to upgrade it's natures way of telling you that you don't need to upgrade...:smashin:
Although your SR7010 will be getting a bit long in the tooth as a 2015 AVR it does its basic day job more than well enough. As Steve Withers said in his review of it All the performance and future-proofing that you could want Marantz SR7010 AV Receiver Review

Main thing you would be missing out on is compatability with the MutiEq Editor app which needs a SR7011 or upwards plus HEOS, Auro 3D, Imax Enhanced, HDR10+ passthrough, etc. If you wait until this time next year you could pick up one of this years new Marantz model range for a lot less money.

I'm hoping that i'm not being too much....:offtopic: .... but I need some general advice. Although my present amp is THX Ultra2 certified for surround this is no longer a deal breaker as most manufacturers don't do that certification any more anyway.

Ok i'm in a (nice) quandary, I have now wired in all four of my overhead Atmos / DTS:X speakers (7.1.4 therefore 11 speakers + the sub) and i'm now ready to replace my fifteen year old (and admittedly) perfectly working Denon AVCA11XV AV amp. Obviously the reason for replacing my present amp is that it doesn't do the decoding for overhead speakers and cannot be upgraded.

My question is this, and bearing in mind I don't need any more speaker channels because the setup is in our lounge and I have a wifey who (so far) has been ok with all these speakers dotted around, plus if we ever move it will be due to a lottery win so money regarding AV and Hi-Fi wouldn't be a consideration anyway.... deep breath.... Do I consider (A) Buying the present Denon 8500 or wait for the upgraded one or their new 6700 or (B) consider Marantz's outgoing SR8012 or the new SR8015?

Given that the non upgraded 8500 and the 8012 will probably drop in price what would many of your valued suggestions be given my AV needs, 8K isn't a priority by the way. Two channel audio sound is important to me and my present amp got a great review in Hi-Fi News all those years ago for that. I'm in no particular hurry as i've waited this long plus I will wait for the various reviews anyway.

The cost of any of these amps would not be the over riding factor because at 68 this will probably (yeah, yeah I know I said probably) be my last replacement unless something gives up the ghost in the system. Over to you all and thank you in advance LT. 🤞👍

By the way I realise this will probably put me through much personal mind melding given any replies I may garner. Once again thanks.

Two channel audio sound is important to me
Marantz will be better in this department than Denon but nowhere near as good as a comparable stereo integrated amp. Unless the Denon X6700 has improved over the X6500 for stereo music than that too is going to be very poor.

Im also content with my SR7010 but the Denon 8500 at current prices is tempting me...
I thought there was an upgrade available for the Auro 3D for the 7010?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom