NEWS: Marantz announces 8K ready SR series AV Receivers

Features mirror those of the Denon series. A bit disappointing that the SR7015 doesn't offer 13 channel processing. Finally HDR10+ passthrough.

Received my NR1510 yesterday, absolutely superb for the price. Glad I didn’t wait as these new models are obviously a lot more expensive.

well the one new features AVR's will have in 2021 is hdmi 2.1...so we will have to wait 2022 to see something new i "suppose"

Dual Speaker Preset Memory....... perhaps to adjust the sweet for a variety of listening situations.
Guessing the word spot may be missing following that? :)

So if not needing 8K the choice of paying £2799 (until prices drop) for the SR8015 (which needs an external amp for 13.2) vs £2599 for the Denon X8500 (which doesn't need an external amp for 13.2) has to be made. Only other major difference between the two I can see is the dual speaker presets for the new range and the Denon having another 10w per channel. Anything else?

Or for that matter and just wanting 11 channel processing/amplification a choice between the £1399 outgoing Denon X6500 vs outgoing £1989 SR8012 vs the £2799 SR8015. Anything (apart from 8K, HDMI10+ passthough and benefits for gamers) worth that £1400 difference between the them?

Last edited:
Features wise, I think you've captured it. The big difference between the SR8015 and X8500 vs the lower down models is the construction and power supply. As an owner of an MM8077 power amp (connected to an SR7011), I can say first hand that the sound difference is obvious in terms of power and control. I'd expect the SR8015 to be a step up from the SR7015, but whether it is the price difference is up to the indivudal.
I'm disappointed that the SR7015 doesn't offer the main features, particularly the 13 channel processing that the SR8015 has.

I'm disappointed that the SR7015 doesn't offer the main features, particularly the 13 channel processing that the SR8015 has.
That will be because it is based on the X4700 vs the X6700 for the SR8015. The SR70xx have always been based on the Denon X4x00 models. In fact I'm surprised there is a SR7015 this time round as the SR6015 has most of what it provides for a lower price plus there being no SR7014 model last year.

What is a positive though is that the SR7015 RRP at £1599 is £150 cheaper than the ancient but still available SR7013; which, as it is still being sold at £1149 - £1199 most places, is overdue for a big price drop soon. I've always bought the SR701x models at around £849-£899 when the latest model gets released.

Last edited:
That will be because it is based on the X4700 vs the X6700 for the SR8015. The SR70xx have always been based on the Denon X4x00 models. In fact I'm surprised there is a SR7015 this time round as the SR6015 has most of what it provides for a lower price plus there being no SR7014 model last year.

It is the same reason why theres a Denon AVRX3700 and a X4700.

The higher tier model is more powerful and does include features not apparent on the cheaper model. One such feature on the SR7015 that you'd not get on the model below it is a full sized display concealed beneath the front panel dropdown.

Other than this, the power the lower tier 9 channel models have is no more than what you would get in association with D&M's 7 channel models. In regards to the X4700 and the SR7015, you are basically paying more for the additional power and those with larger rooms and or more demanding speakers may not be catered for if purchasing a SR6015 or the AVRX3700?

You also get Auro3D with the models above the SR6015 and the AVRX4700. The higher tier DEnon models also include processing not apparent on the X3700 and the models below it.

There's more to an AV receiver than just the number of amplified channels it has.

Last edited:
Neither Denon or Marantz replced any model above the SR6014 or the AVTX3600 last year. THey did this in expectation of the new HDMI version 2.2 revisions scheduled for this year. Neither did Yamaha replace any of their treceivers last year, again in expectation of HDMI version 2.1 models scheduled for this tear.

THey didn't skip the 7014 because of the 6013 and simply didn't bother with any new models above the 6014. There were no new Denon or Matantz models last year above the AVRX3800 and the SR6014. Are you suggesting that the SR5014 was also a replacement for the SR8012?

Neither Denon or Marantz replced any model above the SR6014 or the AVTX3600 last year. THey did this in expectation of the new HDMI version 2.2 revisions scheduled for this year. Neither did Yamaha replace any of their treceivers last year, again in expectation of HDMI version 2.1 models scheduled for this tear.

THey didn't skip the 7014 because of the 6013 and simply didn't bother with any new models above the 6014. There were no new Denon or Matantz models last year above the AVRX3800 and the SR6014.
That would appear to be the different time line you inhabit. In ours we're only just getting the X3700...:cool:

No. Denon and marantz purposefully didn't update any models above their X3500 or their SR6013 model last year. It is well written about that this was purposefully done in expectation of HDMI version 2.1 being introduced this year.

The introduction of the SR6014 had nothing to do with Marantz not replacing the SR7013. They are not even comparable model and the lower tier model isn't as powerful as the model above it and lacks features apparent on the hifgher tier model.

Last edited:
No. Denon and marantz purposefully didn't update any models above their X3500 or their SR6013 model last year. It is well written about that this was purposefully done in expectation of HDMI version 2.1 being introduced this year.
Whoosh....

Will wait for the 7013 to drop to around £900. Don't intend to go for hdmi2.1 and 8k just yet.

Be careful if awaiting prices dropping! AV receivers are in short supply and the old models appear to be keeping their prices better than previously due to the fact that they are in short supply. You may even see prices increase or models being sold out?

Last edited:
If this thread deteriorates into point scoring between certain members I will take action.

Features wise, I think you've captured it. The big difference between the SR8015 and X8500 vs the lower down models is the construction and power supply. As an owner of an MM8077 power amp (connected to an SR7011), I can say first hand that the sound difference is obvious in terms of power and control. I'd expect the SR8015 to be a step up from the SR7015, but whether it is the price difference is up to the indivudal.
Looking at your set-up, that makes a lot of sense. Add power amps to the 7015 to get the improved control of the speakers, then as and when the 7015 is obsolete it makes the upgrade a lot less painful than ditching a £2800 8015!

The 8015 only seems to be worth it if you really want 13 speakers. I can’t be the only punter around who wants the performance of the upscale receivers without having 11 or 13 channels.

I would have thought each manufacturer would have just one model in their line up with an emphasis on quality rather than quality. A really beefy power supply & high-end components but just with 7.1 channels - especially for music lovers who like their movie surround sound too, rather than pure AV Atmos machines.

It would be interesting to see what the average is for unused channels on today’s 9,11 and 13 channel amps are in typical users’ systems.

Looking at your set-up, that makes a lot of sense. Add power amps to the 7015 to get the improved control of the speakers, then as and when the 7015 is obsolete it makes the upgrade a lot less painful than ditching a £2800 8015!

The 8015 only seems to be worth it if you really want 13 speakers. I can’t be the only punter around who wants the performance of the upscale receivers without having 11 or 13 channels.

I would have thought each manufacturer would have just one model in their line up with an emphasis on quality rather than quality. A really beefy power supply & high-end components but just with 7.1 channels - especially for music lovers who like their movie surround sound too, rather than pure AV Atmos machines.

It would be interesting to see what the average is for unused channels on today’s 9,11 and 13 channel amps are in typical users’ systems.

Spot on. I've had the MM8077 for about 7 or 8 years now and I've paired it with several SR701x models. It is a beast of unit with a transformer that must weigh nearly as much as the AVR.
I currently have a 13.2 speaker set up after we moved house and I installed wiring throughout the lounge to put speakers in place. I was hoping there would a trickle down of 13.2 processing to the 7 series this year so that I can use the front wides (I currently have them wired up to the left and right channels, and it works fine to be honest). Ironically, one of my earlier SR7009? could drive front wide speakers.
So with all said, and given I've not changed AVR for several years, and there are limited new features from year to year now, I am considering the SR8015

No mention of a 8805 replacement then?

So the cheaper NR models still retain the FM tuner, whereas, FM has been missing from the SR's for quite a while. Any idea why? Just curious.

I realize this is about Marantz and these do look great but is there ever going to be an update from Sony? Their ZA5000ES is getting pretty long in the tooth and lacking a lot of the features I like on this Marantz.

I wish there was a stripped down version of the SR8015 - I don't want my AV receiver to be at the center of everything - that's the TV's job. I want the 11 powered channels, Airplay 2, DTS:X and Atmos but with eARC I just want the receiver to be converting digital audio into powering the speakers, nothing more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom