NEWS: Marantz announces SR5014 and SR6014 AV Receivers

It's nice to see they finally decided to add XT32 to the 50xx range. Still seeing no reason to ditch the 5010 though.

Is no one going to make an AVR with HDR10+ passthrough?

Is no one going to make an AVR with HDR10+ passthrough?

I think more people are hoping that support for HDR10+ can be implimented via a firmware update? But then again, I think more people are bemoaning its absence than are actually sat at home with discs that actually include it? I guess that the manufacturers will show more interest in it if and when it becomes more popular?

from what I've read you will not be seeing hdmi 2.1 on receivers until 2020 (except for a few high end ones..and i know there are alot of people who see the news or reviews and go straight to the hdmi input section, then sigh as there is no hdmi 2.1...i will not be upgrading anything until i see hdmi 2.1 listed as well as hdr10+ passthrough there's just no point. and in regard to the hdmi 2.1 features that can be implemented on hdmi 2.0b such as ALLM (im not talking about this marantz as they have implemented it which is nice). but if it is not already implemented, there is no guarantee that it will in the future regardless of promises by some of the manufacturers out there

Some of the Manufacturers such as Yamaha and Denon aren't even bothering to launch new models to replace those at the top of their current line-up this year and are waiting until next year to introduce new top end replacement models that include HDMI version 2.1. Denon wouldn't have replaced the X8500 this year anyway, but they're also refraining from replacing anything above their current X3500 model as well. I'd also assume the same to be true of Marantz due to the fact that the SR7013 model is basically the same receiver as the Denon X4500 apart from the inclusion of HDAM on the Marantz?

So the SR6014 is likely to be the highest new model coming from either Denon or Marantz for at least the next 12 months.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The 3600will be ideal for my second setup with 7.2.2 if it gets down to around £650-700 within 2-3 months after release.:)

No 2.1 interesting

as @golden Phoenix stated, there is no HDMI 2.1 chip for receivers announced yet, both Denon X8500 & Marantz SR8012 have an upgrade program when the chip lands.

IMHO if it's not for 8K, HDMI 2.1 isn't really important (all other features are bypassable, and some are already implemented on HDMI 2.0 such as eARC, ALLM & even VRR on Xbox...).

Finally assignable HDMI ! i don't know why they didn't implement this earlier....
I enjoy watching non-verbal movies (Baraka, Samsara, Qatsi Trilogy...) and also BBC 4k stuff (after the first watch with Sir Attenbourough's delightful insights) while playing my tunes, especially when i have guests around; they way i do it now is to use the TV built-in app to play the Vid, and use my receiver to play the music, but HDMI assigning is very handy!

I previously managed to do it with a little hack : HDMI from Laptop to Receiver, Sound preferences on Laptop set to internal sound card, Assign the Receiver's HDMI audio to analog-in. (Denon 1300X).

This SR6014 will give SR7013 a run for the Money !

I am looking to buy this combo; it makes sense to wait for a few weeks I guess!
We do have a 6 weeks country wide sale here where i live, and i just went yesterday also to check on SR7013 & SR8012 deals.
this SR6014 now looks appealing especially that it has the 7.1 analog audio in (i often use my oppo to play SACD and multichannel music but i'm passing it through HDMI now so i don't benefit from Oppo's DAC).
If this model also supports the upgrade program for HDMI2.1 (same as SR8012 & Denon X8500) it will be a no brainer; if not then SR6013 becomes a very viable option (especially if it drops to 1K).

… this SR6014 now looks appealing especially that it has the 7.1 analog audio in (i often use my oppo to play SACD and multichannel music but i'm passing it through HDMI now so i don't benefit from Oppo's DAC).

The current Sr6013 model has multichannel inputs and this isn't something new being introduced with the Sr6014. The SR60xx models have always included multichannel analogue inputs. The inclusion of multichannel inputs is one of the things that differentiates the Marantz receivers from those badged as being Denon models.

If this model also supports the upgrade program for HDMI2.1 (same as SR8012 & Denon X8500) it will be a no brainer; if not then SR6013 becomes a very viable option (especially if it drops to 1K).

The promised upgrade is a paid upgrade and require the receiver to be returned to a Marantz authorised service centre via the retailer you initially purchased the receiver from. The service centre will replace the HDMI board. No, you're not going to get this option on any other of Denon's or Marantz's receivers apart from the AVX-X8500 and the SR8012 and it will cost you extra to have it done. It is not a firmware revision that can be done online or via the internet.

There's a potential for the SR6013 to drop down below £700 if you use the SR6012's price before it sold out as a bench mark. You could pick one up quite readilly for £660 and even less than this for the very last remaining demo models. You'll get the best prices at the end of this year into the beginning of next year. The Sr6013 is already retailing for under £1K here in the UK.

Last edited:
We do have a 6 weeks country wide sale here where i live, and i just went yesterday also to check on SR7013 & SR8012 deals.

As dante01 said, the SR6013 is just under £900 here.

There's a potential for the SR6013 to drop down below £700 if you use the SR6012's price before it sold out as a bench mark. You could pick one up quite readilly for £660 and even less than this for the very last remaining demo models. You'll get the best prices at the end of this year into the beginning of next year. The Sr6013 is already retailing for under £1K here in the UK.

I’m looking to grab SR7012, which currently retails £849, while an open box is ~£810. I’m not sure if the 7012 price would drop; I may have to wait for the year end to take advantage of the the fall in 6013 prices.

I’m auditioning Denon x4500h and Arcam AVR 550; these are the only models my local dealer have.

Still no mqa. Its silly.
Playing tiday on my marantz sr6012, I had on the first day full 24/192. That varied depending on track. I played tidal through heos app. After first day of my subscription, all tracks went back to 16/44.1.

As bizarre as it sounds, that's the data I observed on my tv as currently played quality.

So perhaps, from hw and sw point of view playi g mqa is already possible. Just being blocked...

I'd not fret about MQA too much, an AVR is never going to be the best for listening to music, the pre-amp, dac and amp are not in the same league as dedicate hifi gear that needn't cost a fortune, but appreciate looks a little less tidy. To make an AVR sound as good as a £300-500 HiFi amp will propbably cost 5-10 times the HiFi amp ammount, whilst comparing a £1000 AVR from A against AVR from B may show differences, a HiFi amp costing significabtly less is likely to sound significantly better than both AVRs.
Payng extra to have a fringe feature like MQA (and I presume it's license) is not going to attract that many more AVR sales so is probably not a high priority. Most people who pay the extra for the top tier Tidal or even better Qobuz, are going to have a dedicated streamer like an Aurolic / Bluesound or simular and / or Roon server/endpoint maybe a DAC and a decicated Integrated or Pre amp.
Those who don't and just use an AVR may see a nice MQA light or the display saying MQA & 24/192, but are unlikely to able to actually hear a significant increase in quality they are paying for.
The Marantz is a nice amp, I had one not too long back in the lounge and have one currently in my office, I also have an Arcam AVR550 with external Emotiva amps, but my low end Naim amp and Bluesound sounds quite a bit better to my ears.

@Sky watsher @dante01

I don't believe Marantz's SR8012 is eligible for the HDMI 2.1 board upgrade, i think your confused with Marantz's AV8805 processor which will see an upgrade hopefully sometime next year along with Denon's AVC-X8500H.

I don't believe Marantz's SR8012 is eligible for the HDMI 2.1 board upgrade, i think your confused with Marantz's AV8805 processor which will see an upgrade hopefully sometime next year along with Denon's AVC-X8500H.

Yes, you are correct about this and I didn't check prior to posting what I posted. THe AV8805 will be the only Marantz device to get the option of an HDMI version 2.1 upgrade. Note that this is a processor as opposed to being an AV amp or receiver and has the same processing power as associated with DEnon's AVCX8500 AV amp.

Also of major note is that the Marantz spokesperson told me that every AV8805 would be eligible for an upgrade to HDMI 2.1 when the specification was finalized and hardware was available. This will require a complete hardware/board change of all HDMI components to support the new standard. As there isn't any available HDMI 2.1 hardware yet, the cost of the upgrade to consumers remains uncertain. Marantz expects the upgrade to be available sometime in 2020 after they have received the hardware and had a chance to implement it. But the company is essentially giving purchasers of this processor assurance that they won’t be left behind by the next major technology upgrade, and that if they make the commitment to the 8805, it will be ready to serve them well into the next generation of high-performance video and audio signals. [Editor's note: we originally reported at CES, based on information provided at the Marantz booth, that this upgrade would be free to consumers. Marantz has since qualified that this isn't the case, though we'd expect that the price would be a relatively modest outlay against the overall cost of this premium component.]
Marantz Unleashes HDMI 2.1-Upgradeable Flagship

So, none of Marantz's AV receivers are scheduled to get an HDMI version 2.1 upgrade and it is only their flagship pre amp/processor that has been promised this. It is also clear that this and the upgrade scheduled for the Denon AVCX8500 will not be free.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom