NEWS: Marantz launches PM6007 integrated amplifier and CD6007 CD player

I also own many Marantz amps from 2003 and till now. All of them sound much better now. The problem with Marantz back in the day were that they were a bit bass shy, and the power supply could be better. That all changed with first PM11-S1 in 2004. But vintage Marantz amps commands a lot of money online. I’d say go for it. Treat your self with a new Marantz amp!

I am sure the PM6007 is better than the PM6003 and older ones, I am not disputing that all, what I was saying is I don't think would have to be very very good to justify the £500 price tag. These amps were always sold around £250-£300 so it is a big price jump. However Marantz are always known for heavy discount so I suspect the true retail price of this amp will be around £350 maybe £380.

I still have a CD6000 OSE LE from the early 2000s I have also had since new, and to my ears it sounds better through my Cambridge Audio DAC that the built in and if that dies I the 6007 will be a huge upgrade however I am not sure I could ever justify buying a CD player again since my main sources are vinyl and Tidal.

I am sure the PM6007 is better than the PM6003 and older ones, I am not disputing that all, what I was saying is I don't think would have to be very very good to justify the £500 price tag. These amps were always sold around £250-£300 so it is a big price jump. However Marantz are always known for heavy discount so I suspect the true retail price of this amp will be around £350 maybe £380.

I still have a CD6000 OSE LE from the early 2000s I have also had since new, and to my ears it sounds better through my Cambridge Audio DAC that the built in and if that dies I the 6007 will be a huge upgrade however I am not sure I could ever justify buying a CD player again since my main sources are vinyl and Tidal.
That’s the name of game, prices rises. But if you’re happy don’t change! May I ask does it have the Classe A feature? If so keep it!

I don't think it does, but it the majority of the CD player is taken up with the output stage. It has dual DACs etc, it is just a late 90's design and the tray is tired so I doubt it last too much longer. The lasers on these have a habit of going to.

Sorry for my typos, it has been a very very long day and I have had zero sleep.

I am guessing the output stage of the DAC would be better quality in the CD player than in the amp but I might be wrong about that. I always thought the DACs in those amps were supposed to be an upgrade to a soundcard etc rather than something as good as a modern dedicated DAC.

I’m confused, are we talking about the old Marantz amp or CD player? Of course the Dac Chip in let’s say a Hegel H90 is superior to the old CD players from the early 2000’. Whether you like the sound of the new Dac Chip is a complete different matter. Marantz uses Cirrus Logic Dac Chips, but I believe they changed in the more expensive models.

I’m confused, are we talking about the old Marantz amp or CD player? Of course the Dac Chip in let’s say a Hegel H90 is superior to the old CD players from the early 2000’. Whether you like the sound of the new Dac Chip is a complete different matter. Marantz uses Cirrus Logic Dac Chips, but I believe they changed in the more expensive models.
The 6006 models have the Cirrus Logic 4398 and that DAC was also installed in the sa8005 SACD player and is a pretty good performer. I thought the pm6006 was a bit tame, too safe, for me at least but may suit others. As for the old cd6006 let's hope the new model improves on what has to be the best sub £500 player on the market.

The range-series to Marantz have tad softer bass, a more meaty midrange, rolled of treble vs the premium-series. The premium-series are more neutral the Marantz way. Not clinical like some old Hegel-models were. The PM14-S1 has more of less neutral midrange, neutral bass, and not rolled of treble. But they still have that Marantz charm. Easy to listen too for a long run. Never harsh. So there are differences which it of course should be. But I do think the PM6006 has the smoothest sound of all the Marantz-amps. It’s designed for not audiophile, but more for people who need an amplifier that’s cheap. No offense to those who own the PM6006, but the last time I listed to it sounded very, very warm. You can play Rolling Stones on it, and it sounds good! My opinion. The PM8006 has almost the same sound as the PM14-S1. It’s not same of course, but very close. I’ve owned both. Feel free to disagree.

I’m no expert. I’ve learned a lot from many forum legends here on avForums. It’s a great place to learn stuff! I’ve learned a lot about digital amplifiers which uses switch mode transistor. Classe AB that uses push/pull transistor. Classe A amplifiers that runs its transistor in pure Classe A all time. Class A is my dream amplifier. If I’d won the lottery, I’d buy a Luxman Classe A amplifier in a heart bit, that or Macintosh Classe AB amplifier. It’s just that they cost as much as used car. 15 years or so Macintosh amplifiers cost half the twice of what they cost now. The currency is king, as always. And the us currency have gone up also. Sorry a bit of topic, since this tread is about Marantz amplifiers. But I digress. Have nice day with you’re hifi setup. I bet it sounds warm, dynamic and real. Try play -Jazz At The Pawnshop-. It’s an audiophile classic.
Hi Helix Hifi, thanks for your reply. Will do. Cheers 🙂

Anyone compared the NR1200 or the PM6006 to the PM6007.

The PM6006 were around £329-£349 so the £500-£529 PM6007 is quite a price jump.

I notice the PM6007 has gone up in price at some retailers. Gone up from £499.99 to £529 at some places.

Just curious,as both the amp and cd player use the same DAC if you bought both,how would you connect them?.Using the analogue output or the digital?.Sidenote think the Triangle Borea BR03:Triangle Borea BR03 Standmount Speaker Review,would be a good match,open to alternatives.
I was wondering the same thing before I purchased my cd6006 and PM6006. So I did a test between plugging to the amp via rca and optical (so it bypasses the CD DAC), and they sounded exactly the same, which makes sense since the dacs are the same in the amp abs CD player. Just not sure what happens when you plug rca, does it go through the CD player DAC and the amp DAC?

If you plug cd in with rca it used cd dac and only amp analogue section

@MrRoarke, still happy with the Marantz setup. I’ve always liked Marantz sound. Pretty neutral sound.

Oh, I see. So if I connect the CD player via optical to the amp, then it will use the amp DAC, right?
Correct. You can connect both RCA, optical or coaxial at the same time to see which one you like better.

Yeah, I had this whole issue with the source direct button where when I turned it off, it amplified the volume 5 fold and sounded like a complete distorted mess, even with the volume down to 0. Everything was inaudible. The tech confirmed it was most likely an issue with the processor. Ended up getting a refund.

Yeah, I had this whole issue with the source direct button where when I turned it off, it amplified the volume 5 fold and sounded like a complete distorted mess, even with the volume down to 0. Everything was inaudible. The tech confirmed it was most likely an issue with the processor. Ended up getting a refund.
I see. Well every manufacturer makes a lemon sometimes. Still I’d say Marantz is of the more stable manufacturers out here. Never had any serious problems with the Marantz amplifiers I’ve owned in the past. But some minor issues with the CD players. But after a check up at the service shop they have all been good.

I see. Well every manufacturer makes a lemon sometimes. Still I’d say Marantz is of the more stable manufacturers out here. Never had any serious problems with the Marantz amplifiers I’ve owned in the past. But some minor issues with the CD players. But after a check up at the service shop they have all been good.
Oh I’m sure. I chose Marantz after reading all the great reviews. I love my CD6006, and will most likely get another PM6006.

I’ve read some Marantz amplifiers ( I think it is the PM6000UK Edition) which has some serious issues with the dac chip.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom