NEWS: Marantz launches PM6007 integrated amplifier and CD6007 CD player

I thought the pm6006 replacement would get a USB and it Bluetooth input this time

What HiFi have done a typically sycophantic review of the PM6007, obviously because they don't want to loose Marantz's advertising revenue. Absolutely no need for the (by WH's standards) in depth review for what is essentially an incremental update. There's plenty of other interesting bits of kit about that they could turn their attention to.

I thought the pm6006 replacement would get a USB and it Bluetooth input this time
Yes, it would have been a bonus. But it seems Marantz sometimes are a bit old school compared too other brands.

Yes, it would have been a bonus. But it seems Marantz sometimes are a bit old school compared too other brands.
You are probably correct.

I have the pm6006, I also had pm6005 also until I downsized in another room. The 6 was supposed better than the 5, I could tell no difference, but they do sound great for their price point in my opinion. I'd doubt the 7 will be any real sound improvement

You are probably correct.

I have the pm6006, I also had pm6005 also until I downsized in another room. The 6 was supposed better than the 5, I could tell no difference, but they do sound great for their price point in my opinion. I'd doubt the 7 will be any real sound improvement
Yes, and they should also have Dirac eq. From my understanding Dirac is an open platform to use for any manufacturer. I been looking at amplifiers with Dirac. The NAD M10 has it. But all NAD I’ve had have just lasted about 2 years or so. The SA30 from Arcam does include Dirac though. I don’t know if all Arcam stereo amplifiers have Dirac? Edit, only the SA30 uses Dirac. You haven’t considered the PM8006, Marantz? I’ve compared it to the PM14-S1 from Marantz. And trust me you’ll get most of the same sound as the PM14-S1. The latter does though have more detail, and a more faster dynamic bass. The bass on the PM8006 is a bit like this boooom (a bit slow) where the PM14-S1 is boom! Fast!

Last edited:

I think they want you to buy the matching CD player and/or network player to get all that functionality...

What HiFi have done a typically sycophantic review of the PM6007, obviously because they don't want to loose Marantz's advertising revenue. Absolutely no need for the (by WH's standards) in depth review for what is essentially an incremental update. There's plenty of other interesting bits of kit about that they could turn their attention to.
I disagree with the point that there was no need for an in-depth review. If I'm new in the market for a stereo amplifier, I'm not interested in just a passing review of an "incremental update" which would force me to read the review of the previous model.

With regards to the allegation of What HiFi being paid to write favourable reviews, this is just an allegation without evidence and you expose yourself to the allegation of defamation.

There is a missing feature which seems to do not interest many people but I really care for it : the iPhone/iPad USB input which allows the user to read music directly from these devices. This is not Marantz fault since Apple seems to have stopped supporting this feature everywhere in favor of Airplay but USB does not require Wifi and is more stable overall (even if Airplay is mostly good but it might produce inferior quality depending on the music provider). I am so really happy to have bought a CD6006 for a good price, I can use it standalone with my headphone without having to turn my NR1200 on (plus the CD6006 seems to have an hidden numerical treatment which makes music feel a better than NR1200 alone, maybe an upscale ?). Now speaking baout PM6007, the price seems a bit high compared to modern all-in-one like NR1200 in 2020, I am not a purist but I really doubt that the difference is significant compared to how many features you lose.

There is a missing feature which seems to do not interest many people but I really care for it : the iPhone/iPad USB input which allows the user to read music directly from these devices. This is not Marantz fault since Apple seems to have stopped supporting this feature everywhere in favor of Airplay but USB does not require Wifi and is more stable overall (even if Airplay is mostly good but it might produce inferior quality depending on the music provider). I am so really happy to have bought a CD6006 for a good price, I can use it standalone with my headphone without having to turn my NR1200 on (plus the CD6006 seems to have an hidden numerical treatment which makes music feel a better than NR1200 alone, maybe an upscale ?). Now speaking baout PM6007, the price seems a bit high compared to modern all-in-one like NR1200 in 2020, I am not a purist but I really doubt that the difference is significant compared to how many features you lose.
Totally agree. I use the iPhone usb on my original Quad Vena, works a treat. Can't understand why more amps don't have this feature.

Yes, they should have added a USB input on the PM6007. But I guess they want people too buy both the CD player and the amplifier together as a combo. I do think the CD6007 has USB input. Anyway I’m fine with it, but I do understand people that wish too stream their own stored music files from their iPad to the PM6007. Does the CD6007 support Flac? In the past the only supported Wav. But that takes up a lot of space in the long run.

Yes, it perhaps we’ll. So there can be bargains found soon. The PM6006 is a very good amplifier. 45 watts is a lot. But the PM6007 has the newest HDAM pre amplifier output stage too control your speakers. So that could make all the difference. May be worth it in the end. All I can say I love my PM8600. I just wished there were loudness buttons on all Marantz amplifiers, yes I am no purist when it comes too features. If the tone control circuit is very good then it’s no problem. But the Premium series to Marantz seems too go the digital route when it concerns there amplifier technology. So no more Classe AB, push/pull transistor. Now it’s all switch mode transistor. Yes it produces less heat and the damping factor are amazing on some digital amplifier. I do believe the new Marantz PM12 has a damping factor at 500!

Last edited:
Yes, and they should also have Dirac eq. From my understanding Dirac is an open platform to use for any manufacturer. I been looking at amplifiers with Dirac. The NAD M10 has it. But all NAD I’ve had have just lasted about 2 years or so. The SA30 from Arcam does include Dirac though. I don’t know if all Arcam stereo amplifiers have Dirac? Edit, only the SA30 uses Dirac. You haven’t considered the PM8006, Marantz? I’ve compared it to the PM14-S1 from Marantz. And trust me you’ll get most of the same sound as the PM14-S1. The latter does though have more detail, and a more faster dynamic bass. The bass on the PM8006 is a bit like this boooom (a bit slow) where the PM14-S1 is boom! Fast!
Hi, I had the Marantz PM8005/SA8005 partnered with the Bowers & Wilkins CM9 S2's and the combination worked superbly. However I then got the upgrade bug and decided to get the hifi system of my dreams. I then had a demo of the Marantz PM 14 S1 SE/SA 14 S1 SE and the step up in sound quality from the PM8005/SA8005 was immediately apparent. Lots more detail with the PM 14 S1 SE/SA 14 S1 SE. I then decided to upgrade my speakers to the Bowers & Wilkins CM10 S2's and I achieved a match made in heaven. I would say that if you can afford it and have the budget, the Marantz Reference range is also superb compared with their normal range of hifi. Hope this helps 🙂

Hi, I had the Marantz PM8005/SA8005 partnered with the Bowers & Wilkins CM9 S2's and the combination worked superbly. However I then got the upgrade bug and decided to get the hifi system of my dreams. I then had a demo of the Marantz PM 14 S1 SE/SA 14 S1 SE and the step up in sound quality from the PM8005/SA8005 was immediately apparent. Lots more detail with the PM 14 S1 SE/SA 14 S1 SE. I then decided to upgrade my speakers to the Bowers & Wilkins CM10 S2's and I achieved a match made in heaven. I would say that if you can afford it and have the budget, the Marantz Reference range is also superb compared with their normal range of hifi. Hope this helps 🙂
I’ve had the PM15-S1, PM14-S1. Not SE like you have. But as you said the premium range have more air in the upper midrange. So I’m familiar with the premium range. But my current PM8006 gives about 70 percent the same sound as the PM14-S1. But nice system you have there.🍾🍾🍾

Yes, Marantz rules. They have such a magic midrange. Voices sound real!

Yes, Marantz rules. They have such a magic midrange. Voices sound real!
Totally agree. From what I've read Marantz amplifiers sound like valve amplifiers which is a really good thing from what I've read. However i have never heard a valve amplifier so perhaps another kind member could explain why tube/valve amps sound better 🙂

I also have the Marantz MCR611 upstairs with the Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2's. It's a great little system with plenty of power. However if I had more room, I would definitely get the new PM6007/CD6007. Here's hoping 🙂

I wouldn’t go as far as to say they sound as a valve amplifier, but close. I’m not sure if valve amp or tube amp is the same? But a tube amplifier has some advantages vs classic AB push/pull transistor amplifier, because a tube amplifier adds a bit more distortion vs AB amps. That makes a tube amplifier sound warm, relaxing. Disadvantage, a good tube amplifier cost a lot, lot, lot of 💰💰💰 to control the speakers impedance curve, as opposed a classic AB push/pull transistor amp. And tube amps can be fragile. But a tube amplifier are voltage amplifier vs transistor amplifier.

But Marantz sounds as warm as you can get from a classic AB amplifier. But many other AB amps sound also warm. Music Fidelity, Electrokompaniet.

I’m no expert. I’ve learned a lot from many forum legends here on avForums. It’s a great place to learn stuff! I’ve learned a lot about digital amplifiers which uses switch mode transistor. Classe AB that uses push/pull transistor. Classe A amplifiers that runs its transistor in pure Classe A all time. Class A is my dream amplifier. If I’d won the lottery, I’d buy a Luxman Classe A amplifier in a heart bit, that or Macintosh Classe AB amplifier. It’s just that they cost as much as used car. 15 years or so Macintosh amplifiers cost half the twice of what they cost now. The currency is king, as always. And the us currency have gone up also. Sorry a bit of topic, since this tread is about Marantz amplifiers. But I digress. Have nice day with you’re hifi setup. I bet it sounds warm, dynamic and real. Try play -Jazz At The Pawnshop-. It’s an audiophile classic.

Last edited:
I have owned a few Marantz amps and currently got a PM6003 I bought 8 years ago. It is still working perfectly, it still sounds great with my MA Bronze 2s so I just have no reason to upgrade. If I was in the market for a new sub £500 amp though I would put the 6007 high up my list. I am not sure if it is worth £500 though considering I paid £250 new for my 6003 back in 2012.

I have owned a few Marantz amps and currently got a PM6003 I bought 8 years ago. It is still working perfectly, it still sounds great with my MA Bronze 2s so I just have no reason to upgrade. If I was in the market for a new sub £500 amp though I would put the 6007 high up my list. I am not sure if it is worth £500 though considering I paid £250 new for my 6003 back in 2012.
As I said before in the tread the new PM6007 uses the HDAM 3 pre amplifier output stage. That may give more control in the bass. It’s your call..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom