NEWS: Marantz SR5013 and SR6013 AV Receivers announced

Marantz could get a bigger share of the lower end market if the 5013 was priced more keenly, as it currently sits in no mans land. It's priced too highly to get bargain hunters interested (lets face it they wait for the Denon 2xxx to drop to 300-400) and it doesn't really compete in the mid range market because of it's lack of channels and lower end room correction, so it's a slightly odd product.

The irony of me writing that is I bought a 5010 back in late 2015.

The Marantz 5012 never became available to buy in the UK market. Odd.

see no mention of hdmi 2.1?

The Marantz 5012 never became available to buy in the UK market. Odd.

Lack of sales probably. Lets face it, it's not a good buy really, as every other receiver it competes against is a lot cheaper. I bought mine for 2 reasons. First being I could purchase everything from the same shop and the other being the better musical abilities compared to the 2200 (the only other decent receiver they sold below my budget of 1k). The 6010 was €1400 and the 7010 was €1900 at the time.

I could see them ditching the 5xxx and making the 6xxx the budget model now they actually have a high(er)-end receiver on the market. The 7xxx is nice, but at the end of the day it competes with mid-range models from other brands.

I believe the 5012 was an exclusive for installers, it wasn't on general sale I dont think. I suspect the same will be for the 5013.

Looks like there's no HDMI 2.1 on the immediate horizon either. I just bought the SR7012 which is currently a decent price as it's end of life ready for the 7013.

So there's some deals to be had.

we know the equipment is not there yet, and like me, we don't want to be upgrading every year..so we want equipment that is as future-proofed as it can be in any given year. the fact that hdmi 2.1 has officially been released..there no real excuse why new av equipment from this point on shouldn't have the most up to date spec..its all backwards compatible anyway. i wont be buying a new receiver until it has 2.1 end of.

These receivers were finalized way before the HDMI 2.1 specifications were. Next years models which are under development now probably will be.

These receivers were finalized way before the HDMI 2.1 specifications were. Next years models which are under development now probably will be.

Good point, that's why I will wait, same goes for tv

How does the 6013 differ from the 6012?
Given that the 7012 is currently available for a lower price than the 6013 is there anything to be gained buying a 6013 rather than a 7012?
As far as I can see the 7012 is more powerful and has Auro 3D which the 6013 does not.

How does the 6013 differ from the 6012?
Given that the 7012 is currently available for a lower price than the 6013 is there anything to be gained buying a 6013 rather than a 7012?
As far as I can see the 7012 is more powerful and has Auro 3D which the 6013 does not.

The SR6013 replaces the SR6012 and not the SR7012. The reason the SR7012 is more powerful and includes Auro 3D is because it is a higher tier model. The SR7013 will be rated with the same power and will also include Auro 3D when Marantz launch that model.

What you gain with the newer models isn't power related and the new replacement models will be rated with the same power as the models they replace. What you gain is more to do with smaller differences such as the inclusion of eARC. The reason the older SR7012 is cheaper is because it has been discounted due to it being due for replacement.

Yes I realise all that.
The point I was trying to make was I can see no difference between the 6013 and the 6012 which does include eARC via a firmware update.
And given the cheaper price of the higher tier model 7012 why not buy that instead?

Yes I realise all that.
The point I was trying to make was I can see no difference between the 6013 and the 6012 which does include eARC via a firmware update.
And given the cheaper price of the higher tier model 7012 why not buy that instead?

Yeah, that is ordinarily the case and the older outgoing models usually do end up being a better value for your money option than the new models that replace them. It is very rare that the new models introduced every year actually include anything new that is essential.

If it were me then I'd be looking at the SR7012 rather than spending as much on the SR6013. Maybe even look at the SR6012 which is available for half what you'd currently be paying for its replacement.

What's new or to be added via firmware update for the 2018 models?

- Able to overlay the Volume, Info, and Option menus on 4k video (including Dolby Vision) while Setup takes up whole page on black background
- RESET - Menu setting that restores all settings to factory default (in addition to usual 2 button + power on reset)
- PHONO input (also added as audio input available with <Video Select> feature)
- Airplay 2 (via future firmware update on all current and former HEOS capable models)
- Web Control (reintroduced for the first time on HEOS models)
- <Dialog Level> setting more appropriately relabeled as <Center Level> as it simply adjusts the volume level of the center speaker
- <Center Level> (formerly Dialog Level Adjust) and <Subwoofer Level> (formerly Subwoofer Level Adjust) no longer have ON/OFF setting, but rather simply mirror the Center/Subwoofer Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones settings such that they can be adjusted on the fly now correctly as opposed to being in addition to the Manual Setup settings on previous year's models
- Detachable WiFi/Bluetooth antennas (new for NR1509/NR1609)
- “ihiji Invision” and Domotz Pro remote system management technology ("SR" series)
- eARC (SR6013/SR7013 only - via future firmware update)
IMAX enhanced DTS:X processing (SR6013/SR7013 - firmware update January 2019)

Last edited:
Yes I realise all that.
I just returned a 7012, sounds (mostly) the same as every other dnm product i have had. The reason for the return is (with my kit) it struggles around -10db. When i use my power amp i get slightly more headroom. Given that i will mostly be using power amplifiers I returned it and bought the 6012. The only thing i miss is the larger display but when my room is done it will be at the back out of sight anyway. Ultimately I couldn’t justify £250 just for the convenience of the display but others might.

I’m thinking about an SR6012 or 7012 ...is the 7012 in a different league sonically, even slightly ....or just this Auro 3D and a pinch more max SPL ?

I’d use an external Power amp for Stereo anyway

Thanks

A little more power and a few extra features.

Thanks, which extra features if known please?

Does the 6012 also run a bit cooler perhaps?

I prefer the smaller footprint of the lesser model but if it’s going to be a noticeable downgrade, I can afford the larger

At the moment I have a Monitor Audio Platinum 150 Center, but might downgrade to the Gold 150 which is more AV Shelf friendly

No problem, I’ve gone with an ARCAM... :)

Does 6013 offer any possibility for a 9.1.2 surround? I see the hights are assignable, does it mean you can change it to use 9 speakers on the floor, or alternatively can you make use of the preamps for this job?

Does 6013 offer any possibility for a 9.1.2 surround? I see the hights are assignable, does it mean you can change it to use 9 speakers on the floor, or alternatively can you make use of the preamps for this job?

The SR6013 has no ability to fascilitate width speakers so you'd not be able to configure a 9 channel floor layout. THe most you can attain out of the box is a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 configuration. If adding an additional 2 channels of amplification then you can configure a 7.1.4 layout, but not a 9.1.2 channel layout Neither is there any option to have more than just 4 height, ceiling or Atmos upward firing speakers within a setup.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom