NEWS: Mulan rumoured to net $260M in US for Disney+ premiere

I love 3D but there is nothing here that suggests this being a decent 3D disc. I do like watch to big dumb movies with great 3D (or even great HDR), but films pretending to be better than they are? Not so much.
For context, in a world where a pandemic didn't occur, I would have seen this at the Leicester Square IMAX, where they would presumably had a mixture of 2D and 3D versions showing. I would have opted for the latter in this scenario as 4K Laser 3D is spectacular IMO. Since I am limited to watching 3D Blu-ray's via PSVR, that would be my preference for watching it at home. I have no way of knowing if the film is decent in 3D but I'd rather be given the option to see it for myself in order to make that assessment.

Since I am limited to watching 3D Blu-ray's via PSVR, that would be my preference for watching it at home. I have no way of knowing if the film is decent in 3D but I'd rather be given the option to see it for myself in order to make that assessment.
In general, 3D Blu-rays are better than their "Real 3D" theatrical counterparts. Avatar is the obvious exception, but a rare one. So if they go the 3D blu-ray route, you are very likely to be seeing the best version anyway :)

I have no way of knowing if the film is decent in 3D but I'd rather be given the option to see it for myself in order to make that assessment.
Of course.

In general, 3D Blu-rays are better than their "Real 3D" theatrical counterparts. Avatar is the obvious exception, but a rare one. So if they go the 3D blu-ray route, you are very likely to be seeing the best version anyway :)
As it's Laser projection, the Leicester Square IMAX uses the Dolby 3D tech instead, which IMO is way better than RealD or the "regular" IMAX 3D that you find in most IMAX screens across the world. :thumbsup:

3D Blu-ray is awesome and it's real shame that the format is pretty much dead at this point. And I say that as someone who loves 4K HDR too.

As it's Laser projection, the Leicester Square IMAX uses the Dolby 3D tech instead, which IMO is way better than RealD or the "regular" IMAX 3D that you find in most IMAX screens across the world. :thumbsup:

3D Blu-ray is awesome and it's real shame that the format is pretty much dead at this point. And I say that as someone who loves 4K HDR too.
Odeon LSQ does have awesome LFE and laser projection is nice, but with my budget set-up at home, I watch 3D on an clear virtual IMAX sized screen with Atmos that actually sounds like Atmos. The screen they have is a decent size, but Cineworld's screens are bigger. I get that the building has always had audio issues, but those audio issues make it a poor excuse for a Dolby cinema.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSQ does have awesome LFE and laser projection is nice, but with my budget set-up at home, I watch 3D on an clear virtual IMAX sized screen with Atmos that actually sounds like Atmos. The screen they have is a decent size, but Cineworld's screens are bigger. I get that the building has always had audio issues, but those audio issues make it a poor excuse for a Dolby cinema.
I think we might be talking about different cinema screens? I'm specifically talking about the IMAX screen in the Cineworld Leicester Square. For 3D films shown in it, you are given glasses that are not passive ones like the RealD and regular IMAX 3D polarised glasses and stay with the cinema when it's finished. They have Dolby logos on them, so clearly they are involved in the 3D side of it.

The Superscreen (which is on the other side of the wall to the IMAX) only does 2D as far as I am aware and has Dolby Atmos but is not a Dolby Cinema (that's the Odeon nearby, which I'm personally not a fan of). And I agree that audio in it is nothing to write home about - I actually prefer the Atmos setup at Wandsworth.

Do you use the Oculus to watch 3D films at home?

Last edited:
I think we might be talking about different cinema screens?
Yes it looks like we were.
...but is not a Dolby Cinema (that's the Odeon nearby, which I'm personally not a fan of). And I agree that audio in it is nothing to write home about - I actually prefer the Atmos setup at Wandsworth.

I actually prefer my budget Atmos set up at home lol.

....and yes I use VR to watch 3D films.

I think we might be talking about different cinema screens? I'm specifically talking about the IMAX screen in the Cineworld Leicester Square. For 3D films shown in it, you are given glasses that are not passive ones like the RealD and regular IMAX 3D polarised glasses and stay with the cinema when it's finished. They have Dolby logos on them, so clearly they are involved in the 3D side of it.

The Superscreen (which is on the other side of the wall to the IMAX) only does 2D as far as I am aware and has Dolby Atmos but is not a Dolby Cinema (that's the Odeon nearby, which I'm personally not a fan of). And I agree that audio in it is nothing to write home about - I actually prefer the Atmos setup at Wandsworth.

Cineworld Closing ?

So streaming/vod is looking like the only way we will be seeing new movies this year. Let's face it if Cineworld shuts Odeon won't be far behind.

I also find there are too many distractions when watching at home - family members talking, picking up your phone or tablet - I know these are under my control but in practice they do happen and do spoil the experience.

You've never experienced that at the cinema? I certainly did on a regular basis plus having the back of my chair kicked. An absolute nightmare. I haven't been for years.

Bri

You've never experienced that at the cinema? I certainly did on a regular basis plus having the back of my chair kicked. An absolute nightmare. I haven't been for years.

Bri

No not really. Even when I have gone to busy screening on Saturday evening.

Occasionally, the odd annoyance but usually only during the trailers and adverts. Everyone usually behaves themselves during the actual film.

I have had Cineworld Unlimited for 5 years, close to twice per week so close to 500 viewings and honestly I can’t recall any really bad experiences, a handful of annoyances maybe but nothing significant.

And I’m a grumpy old man so if there had been I would have been all over the irrational annoyances thread moaning about it.

Maybe, I am lucky with the two cinemas that I mostly use, Crawley and Whitely.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
No not really. Even when I have gone to busy screening on Saturday evening.

Occasionally, the odd annoyance but usually only during the trailers and adverts. Everyone usually behaves themselves during the actual film.

I have had Cineworld Unlimited for 5 years, close to twice per week so close to 500 viewings and honestly I can’t recall any really bad experiences, a handful of annoyances maybe but nothing significant.

And I’m a grumpy old man so if there had been I would have been all over the irrational annoyances thread moaning about it.

Maybe, I am lucky with the two cinemas that I mostly use, Crawley and Whitely.

Cheers,

Nigel

I am genuinely astonished. I stopped going altogether in 2003 because of all the distractions. I started going again in 2012. I didn't visit anywhere near as frequently as you. It wasn't too bad at times but on several occasions I had to ask people to stop using their phones, talking and/or kicking the back of my chair. I stopped again in 2015 after a particularly bad experience. Even without the plague I can't see myself ever going back.

Bri

I see that Mulan is available to purchase from all UK digital HD platforms from tomorrow, for £19.99. Doubtless this will infuriate many Disney Plus subscribers, who already purchased their platform-dependent rental of this title six weeks ago...

I see that Mulan is available to purchase from all UK digital HD platforms from tomorrow, for £19.99. Doubtless this will infuriate many Disney Plus subscribers, who already purchased their platform-dependent rental of this title six weeks ago...
I already pointed that out on the previous page but it got a bit lost in the cinema screen discussion. ;)

And "rental" isn't really the right word IMO because that suggests Disney Plus subscribers who paid for Mulan only had access to watch it for a limited time (48 hours etc), whereas it's more like an in-app purchase which allowed it to be added to their subscription ahead of being made available to everyone as part of the regular sub price in early December.

I already pointed that out on the previous page but it got a bit lost in the cinema screen discussion. ;)

And "rental" isn't really the right word IMO because that suggests Disney Plus subscribers who paid for Mulan only had access to watch it for a limited time (48 hours etc), whereas it's more like an in-app purchase which allowed it to be added to their subscription ahead of being made available to everyone as part of the regular sub price in early December.

it will be interesting to see if they release it on disc. I know that would be my preference over digital.

True, but they only have the movie for the life of the Disney Plus Membership don't they? Once they unsubscribe, it's gone. And I wonder about the people who signed up to the service recently because of Mulan. I imagine they're relatively few in number, but still, if I were them I'd be feeling pretty pissed about the movie then turning up on Digital HD for twenty quid anyway, a mere six weeks later.
Apologies by the way-I completely missed your earlier post on this subject.

it will be interesting to see if they release it on disc. I know that would be my preference over digital.

Disc release is usually 2-4 weeks after Digital HD isn't it? And one site, DVDReleases, is estimating a disc release Stateside for sometime in November. I imagine we'll see it here before December-it's too obvious a pre-Xmas release.

260 is decent for a movie the majority were not bothered about.

lets get Black Widow out before Crimbo :)

True, but they only have the movie for the life of the Disney Plus Membership don't they? Once they unsubscribe, it's gone. And I wonder about the people who signed up to the service recently because of Mulan. I imagine they're relatively few in number, but still, if I were them I'd be feeling pretty pissed about the movie then turning up on Digital HD for twenty quid anyway, a mere six weeks later.
Apologies by the way-I completely missed your earlier post on this subject.
Maybe I’m missing the point, but they paid to watch it 6 weeks earlier than everyone else who can only watch it now, 6 weeks later - similar to if you’d paid to watch Rise of Skywalker at the cinema 6 weeks earlier, & then 6 weeks later it was available for everyone to buy digitally/disc. If anything these people who’d watched ROS 6 weeks earlier will have to pay again to watch it again, whilst people who’d watch Mulan don’t need to pay again.

Were you under the (strange) false assumption that it would only ever be available on Disney+ & would not be sold on any other platforms?

Doubt if it made $260m. Only Disney knows how much it made and I think it could turn out to be disappointing.

Maybe I’m missing the point, but they paid to watch it 6 weeks earlier than everyone else who can only watch it now, 6 weeks later - similar to if you’d paid to watch Rise of Skywalker at the cinema 6 weeks earlier, & then 6 weeks later it was available for everyone to buy digitally/disc. If anything these people who’d watched ROS 6 weeks earlier will have to pay again to watch it again, whilst people who’d watch Mulan don’t need to pay again.

Were you under the (strange) false assumption that it would only ever be available on Disney+ & would not be sold on any other platforms?

Of course it was always going to be available on other platforms-eventually. The point is, most people would consider a mere six week gap between Disney+ release and widespread release to be a bit of a piss take, especially when the gap between theatrical and disc releases is usually four months (in the UK anyway).

Let's not. I'd rather wait for Black Widow on the big screen.

And those Mulan figures have been revised downwards anyway (to about $90 million), and it's pretty clear that it hasn't been all that successful or Disney wouldn't have put it on sale on other digital retailers so quickly and decided not to charge extra for Soul when it arrives on the service.

Last edited:
Let's not. I'd rather wait for Black Widow on the big screen.

And those Mulan figures have been revised anyway downwards anyway (to about $90 million), and it's pretty clear that it hasn't been all that successful or Disney wouldn't have put it on sale on other digital retailers so quickly and decided not to charge extra for Soul when it arrives on the service.
expect Black Widow in cinemas in about 5 years then

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom