NEWS: Mulan to premiere on Disney+ on 4th September

This can be seen as a momentous decision by Disney, most people would have thought that they would not have chosen such an important film to put onto its streaming service even if it is part of a hybrid release.

it is definitely going to be a critical moment for the film industry and especially the cinema chains throughout the world, if it succeeds financially then it piles pressure on other studios to follow suit and has the potential to do irreparable damage to the cinema going model if it fails then the pressure is piled on Disney

This can be seen as a momentous decision by Disney, most people would have thought that they would not have chosen such an important film to put onto its streaming service even if it is part of a hybrid release.

it is definitely going to be a critical moment for the film industry and especially the cinema chains throughout the world, if it succeeds financially then it piles pressure on other studios to follow suit and has the potential to do irreparable damage to the cinema going model if it fails then the pressure is piled on Disney
Well put. This seemingly small announcement has huge ramifications for the movie industry.
Of course, people may argue this does not exactly "enhance the prestige" of the Disney+ platform, as punters have to pay $30 extra. If this works, Disney will have to spend some time establishing their VOD platform as a place where you can watch "theatrical" first-run movies.

I read elsewhere that Disney+ will not turn a profit until 2021, this new potential model could make them lots of money, if done right. At the expense of cinema chains, many will disappear forever if other studios follow suit.

Fans of the big screen may be called on to literally save it next year, with our feet and hard-earned money.

Personally if I owned the movie I would rather own it on Apple TV which is where my main owned movies are. But it won’t be in Dolby Vision / Atmos on Apple TV. So that will just make me wait for Disney+ subscription release instead. I don’t want to own movies all over the place. I just want one library of owned movies.

I'm not playing £30 to watch any film at home. I'll wait until it's in thebfoldnof normal streaming offerings.

I suspect many others will agree.

Hopefully there won’t be too much uproar about this.

Ultimately you can either pay, have the film earlier and available to you as long as your a D+ subscriber, or merely wait until it comes on D+ at its scheduled time.

Personally if I owned the movie I would rather own it on Apple TV which is where my main owned movies are. But it won’t be in Dolby Vision / Atmos on Apple TV. So that will just make me wait for Disney+ subscription release instead. I don’t want to own movies all over the place. I just want one library of owned movies.
You won’t own it on Disney+
It’s a $30 rental!

I am not against the idea of paying for an 'early prem rental' especially if there is a guaranteed time period it won't be on the platform for free; yet $30 feels a little too steep (guessing it will translate to £24.99).

If they allow non Disney+ members to stream, maybe they could do two tier pricing; Disney+ members get a slight reduced price to drive further membership.

I've already given them my £50 for basically The Mandalorian, so I won't be paying them any more money. Once my subscription ends I'll just do the odd month here and there for the Marvel TV shows.

a better price would see me rent this at a premium... love movies (obviously - im here!) but am not a fan of the cinema... actually thats a lie - i love the cinema its just the other dickheads they let in on top of chatty impatient kids (who are clearly too young to sit still in a cinema) and so on...

Paying a bit more to watch in the comfort of my own home with just me and the missus... im game!

I thought I read elsewhere that as Uk cinemas are open it will be shown in cinemas here as planned and not put on Disney plus.

I thought I read elsewhere that as Uk cinemas are open it will be shown in cinemas here as planned and not put on Disney plus.
No it’s only going to be released theatrically in countries that don’t have Disney+. This is being widely reported on all the new sites.

If one of them is reporting differently, it’s more likely that they are wrong rather than everyone else is wrong ;)

In my opinion anyone opting to just see a movie at home is missing the magical, escapism, grandeur & experience at the cinema on a big screen..... I love movies and have built a dedicated cinema room for it. I have a 4K 65" TV in living room, but it doesn't come close to a 130" 4K screen. A prime example is Game of Thrones made for TV. Wife had watched it on TV, but i was not bothered about it (sorry for the fans). But due to the covid lockdown we watched it in the cinema. What a fantastic journey I was taken on... Had to binge watch it :) My wife said watching it in the cinema took it to another level (it may have had something to do with the sound too). What I am saying is streaming stuff is great & convenient & some of their own stuff Apple TV (see) netflix own movies & Disney's Mandalorian & other streaming services provide are excellent but don't give up on the big screen, full immersive sound experience of the cinema. Oh & don't forget... no letterbox or buffing because the servers can not cope with demand (please watch later) :) The flat panel screens of today are magnificent and show fantastic pictures, but a lot of people miss the all important sound system. They spend £0000k on flat panel & maybe buy a sound bar for change£. When we can go back to the cinema give your self & the family a big screen experience with immersive sound. I hope Disney still release it at the cinema too even for just a short time as the cinematography looks stunning & the atmos sound! well now that's another topic :)

So you effectively own it as long as you subscribe to Disney+?

Does that also mean that it's forever going to be in a separate part of the subscription, as what about if it becomes available to rent elsewhere, or becomes available to watch in the standard Disney+ package?

So if I rock up in 6 months time and just subscribe for a month for £5.99, will I be able to watch it?

I guess the privilege of paying that amount is ultimately for early access, but this is terrible news for cinema's if Disney look to begin repeating this process for the future.

One could guess that Mulan would gross more money than Black Widow at the Global box office. Maybe.

So would Black Widow be next?

Rumour is they're going to do it with Black Widow too. They just announced Mulan first. Maybe testing the waters.

To say I'd be furious though would be an understatement.

Are Disney able to circumvent the piracy factor for these VOD releases? The why pay $30 if I can get it for ‘free’ brigade?

I’d have no issues paying for Black Widow tbh.

The problem with Mulan is not just the pandemic but the political situation between the US and China. I doubt many Americans would venture to see a Chinese themed film and not many Chinese people will go and see a Americanisation of Chinese culture either.

Disney are in a bit of a pickle with it and this seems to be the only way they could recoup some of the £150m budget etc they have spent on it.

The problem with Mulan is not just the pandemic but the political situation between the US and China. I doubt many Americans would venture to see a Chinese themed film and not many Chinese people will go and see a Americanisation of Chinese culture either.

Don't see that being the case at all, TBH. I think if it had opened in a normal climate it would definitely have been a hit - a modest one, but a hit all the same.

In my opinion anyone opting to just see a movie at home is missing the magical, escapism, grandeur & experience at the cinema on a big screen..... I love movies and have built a dedicated cinema room for it. I have a 4K 65" TV in living room, but it doesn't come close to a 130" 4K screen. A prime example is Game of Thrones made for TV. Wife had watched it on TV, but i was not bothered about it (sorry for the fans). But due to the covid lockdown we watched it in the cinema. What a fantastic journey I was taken on... Had to binge watch it :) My wife said watching it in the cinema took it to another level (it may have had something to do with the sound too). What I am saying is streaming stuff is great & convenient & some of their own stuff Apple TV (see) netflix own movies & Disney's Mandalorian & other streaming services provide are excellent but don't give up on the big screen, full immersive sound experience of the cinema. Oh & don't forget... no letterbox or buffing because the servers can not cope with demand (please watch later) :) The flat panel screens of today are magnificent and show fantastic pictures, but a lot of people miss the all important sound system. They spend £0000k on flat panel & maybe buy a sound bar for change£. When we can go back to the cinema give your self & the family a big screen experience with immersive sound. I hope Disney still release it at the cinema too even for just a short time as the cinematography looks stunning & the atmos sound! well now that's another topic :)
That's all very good but come on, it's not for everyone to want to go the cinema (anytime) or be very lucky enough to have one at home. You can't just say oh what are you doing watching this on a 65" telly??!

£30 is a lot and people (including me) need to remember that this is not like buying a digital film. There is a system in place for wealthy home cinema owners where they can buy a viewing on day of release and its a LOT more than £30.

If you can watch this as many times as your a subcriber, that easies the cost a bit more.

I'd probably pay £10 for a 'premium' rental. They're having a giraffe at £30. I'll just wait 3 or 4 months and pay £3.99 for the rental on ATV. Or until it's rolled into the normal Disney+ subscription if they don't push it to third party stores. They can't charge £30 forever.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom