NEWS: NAD Debuts T 778 Reference AV receiver

Will be interesting to see if this comes with HDMI 2.1 out of the box or whether they plan it for an upgrade down the road.

My Anthem MRX 710 couldn't have died at a better (worse?) time...

:devil:

Looks good, got a NAD M10 upstairs and looking to get a new AV amplifier for the sitting room around Christmas so this could be a great fit.

What is interesting here is they are pricing this as $2999 in the US and £2,499 in the UK. Thought this was a mistake initially but seems to be in multiple sources - nice to see that NAD aren't doing a huge mark-up for the UK like some of their competitors - George

What is interesting here is they are pricing this as $2999 in the US and £2,499 in the UK. Thought this was a mistake initially but seems to be in multiple sources - nice to see that NAD aren't doing a huge mark-up for the UK like some of their competitors - George
I think that Steve, @BlueWizard recently commented as to how much more expensive hifi and home cinema kit is in the US as compared to here. Makes a pleasant change.:smashin:

Already seeing some liberties with the pricing

NAD T778 | Audiologica

I’ll accept it’s not due out for a couple of months as an excuse. Here’s hoping it with return to the targeted price closer to release.

Very different items, a processor with 16 channels this is not....

Yes thought the same thing initially

Yes I think the Emo will be a good step up, simpler device, no amps and so more money spent on the audio processing, also has more HDMIs I think...

Horses for courses though, this looks like a great receiver...

Will be interesting to see if this comes with HDMI 2.1 out of the box or whether they plan it for an upgrade down the road.
From the specs I read, it’s not 2.1. Very puzzling. I need a new processor or AVR but I have no interest whatsoever in something that isn’t full HDMI 2.1. Not interested at all in something with an undetermined upgrade price and that has to be shipped away for the upgrade (yes, please take my Marantz 8805 for a month or two. Not going to happen).
Yet LG has already announced HDMI 2.1 8k sets. The PS5 will be here within a year. What is NAD and others thinking introducing top of the line devices that are already a generation behind?

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s user serviceable but the HDMI board looks to be in an MDC slot so should just be a case of removing 2 screws and slotting in the new HDMI 2.1 board... when available.

EDIT - a bit like this MDC HDM-2 - Mounting Instructions

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s user serviceable but the HDMI board looks to be in an MDC slot so should just be a case of removing 2 screws and slotting in the new HDMI 2.1 board... when available.

EDIT - a bit like this MDC HDM-2 - Mounting Instructions
Interesting. I have read other devices that offer 2.1 upgrades are definitely not user serviceable. High five to NAD if the T778 is user serviceable.

Not sure you'll be able to read the LCD display, on the front of the AVR, across a room with the design they are showing.

Interesting. I have read other devices that offer 2.1 upgrades are definitely not user serviceable. High five to NAD if the T778 is user serviceable.
I had a module in a Nad AVR changed in one day by my dealer

HDMI 2.1 (or eARC specifically) is my main concern.... no mention of it though.

Crazy if they don't offer it!

As I mentioned further up, although it's likely to be released with HDMI 2.0 board, it looks like this is sitting in a modular MDC slot which is/should be user serviceable to replace with a HDMI 2.1 board if/when released. At least their whole MDC philosophy indicates this is the idea of it...

Hmmm emotiva or this? Thats a question?

Emotiva pre/pro for me (or the seemingly equivalent IOTA), I think the only real way to upgrade from the NAD for me is to go separates with plenty of channels spare and I can choose my own power amps. Obviously costs are going to go up but can't help think they will more future proof.

Emotiva pre/pro for me (or the seemingly equivalent IOTA), I think the only real way to upgrade from the NAD for me is to go separates with plenty of channels spare and I can choose my own power amps. Obviously costs are going to go up but can't help think they will more future proof.
Similar, since the calibration im interested

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom