NEWS: NAD Debuts T 778 Reference AV receiver

Not really understanding the touch screen on an AVR? Why fanny about with that when you have an on screen menu on a large screen tv/PJ. Plus, how many people even keep the displays on on their avrs? I turn all lcd displays off on all of my av/hifi gear.

As I mentioned further up, although it's likely to be released with HDMI 2.0 board, it looks like this is sitting in a modular MDC slot which is/should be user serviceable to replace with a HDMI 2.1 board if/when released. At least their whole MDC philosophy indicates this is the idea of it...

I've asked them directly about this for the existing range and they weren't very forthcoming - I thought it was a great positive that you upgrade older hardware but can appreciate that it only goes so far. If they did launch this as only HDMI 2.0 I think it would be a big negative, unless it's a free upgrade.

If they did launch this as only HDMI 2.0 I think it would be a big negative, unless it's a free upgrade.

I'd expect it's the same MDC (VM300) that's in the v3 range of their current line-up - at least that's what's pictured.

And if so, replacing it with a new MDC is likely to run around £500.

Last edited:
Not really understanding the touch screen on an AVR? Why fanny about with that when you have an on screen menu on a large screen tv/PJ. Plus, how many people even keep the displays on on their avrs? I turn all lcd displays off on all of my av/hifi gear.

I think nad are sticking to their policy of no osd overlay....do no harm passthrough only. It’s the thing that annoys me most about my t777. I used to have my cabinet closed and now have it open to see the screen (a pain). It’s not only the volume that is irksome, it’s that when you call up the osd it shuts off the image and it’s sloooow to boot up the osd. If the new screen can be set to auto dim/shut off and the characters are large, it might be an easier read from across the room then the current screen. Frankly I wish they would just do osd overlay

I think nad are sticking to their policy of no osd overlay....do no harm passthrough only. It’s the thing that annoys me most about my t777. I used to have my cabinet closed and now have it open to see the screen (a pain). It’s not only the volume that is irksome, it’s that when you call up the osd it shuts off the image and it’s sloooow to boot up the osd. If the new screen can be set to auto dim/sh*t off and the characters are large, it might be an easier read from across the room then the current screen. Frankly I wish they would just do osd overlay
Are you aware of the user-created iOS/Android apps?

Are you aware of the user-created iOS/Android apps?

Only Marcus’s one which didn’t support the 777 only 758 when I last looked.
I do use the Nad made one bc I like being able to change the channel volumes on the fly and alter things like dialogue enhancement as well but it’s too unstable - at least half the time I pick up my phone it won’t connect even with repeated attempts. Are there others to consider?

Only Marcus’s one which didn’t support the 777 only 758 when I last looked.
I do use the Nad made one bc I like being able to change the channel volumes on the fly and alter things like dialogue enhancement as well but it’s too unstable - at least half the time I pick up my phone it won’t connect even with repeated attempts. Are there others to consider?
Markus' one now supports the T777v3 and the M17 :)

Looks like he added support for the 777 back in July :p
Downloaded it. Seems a bit laggy at times for me too - sometimes instant, sometimes won’t respond for a bit but on first use better than the nad remote for connection stability.
Also doesn’t appear to have the tone trims which is a shame.

Attachments

• DB0807C6-88AB-4FC1-A11F-CFFF0F98B0BA.png
    DB0807C6-88AB-4FC1-A11F-CFFF0F98B0BA.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 138
Downloaded it. Seems a bit laggy at times for me too - sometimes instant, sometimes won’t respond for a bit but on first use better than the nad remote for connection stability.
Also doesn’t appear to have the tone trims which is a shame.
Any lag will be down to your network, are you using WiFi for the NAD?
You could always email and suggest adding the tone functionality but you're probably the first and only to request it :D

Any lag will be down to your network, are you using WiFi for the NAD?
You could always email and suggest adding the tone functionality but you're probably the first and only to request it :D

Yep WiFi - NAD dongle on 777

Emailed Marcus - hope he’s in a good mood

I don't believe this would be an upgrade for an AVR850, but an AVR550 or AVR390? This might need a closer look next year...

Noticed on the hi res image there is a SubW1 and a Subw2, while its states 7.1.4, is it 7.2.4?
If it had that and hdmi2.1 or upgradable board, consider me interested.

If it had that and hdmi2.1 or upgradable board, consider me interested.

Most (all?) of the full size NAD gear is updgradeable with MDC modules

They're around £4-500 and theoretically user serviceable, but I think "officially" they're dealer fits. I know when my dealer swapped out an MDC on my T777 they had no previous experience in what they were doing and just followed the same steps and used the same tools I would have had.

Based on sound quality alone (not power), would this be an upgrade on an Arcam 550?

How can we tell, I don't know anyone has heard it yet, let alone with 'your' ears or taste, which is all that really counts surely.. :) Speculating on spec, DACs and pre-amps is not much help at this stage I'd say, although I'd say NAD's pedigree and previous sound quality is probably some comfort.
DAC hardware is one thing, but how that DAC is implimented and it's software is another more important factor, i.e. DAC ABC in a NAD may sound completly different to DAC ABC in an Audiolab due to how they've implimented it. A bad DAC can be a restriction, but a good one does not guarantee good sound...
In my speculative mind I suspect it will be good, may have potentially to have a 'few' bugs, may be a bit under speced compared to others in some respecs (ports, more processed channels), but have some nice extras others don't BluOS etc, but who knows..
AVR550 vs this, not taking power into account, I'd say they'll probably be on par with each other, although this may have better DIRAC implimentation, slots, bass mgt etc...

As long as there's no detriment in sound quality I might give it a go. Stingy warranty though, doesn't feel right spending over £2000 and only getting a 2 year warranty :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom