NEWS: NAD Debuts T 778 Reference AV receiver

May be worth waiting for first bug fix to be out, bit like Windows software....

Arcam's warranty is only 2 years as well, even on the £3'500 AVR850!

I thought Arcam warranty was 5 years if you registered it?!?

Yes, 5 years with Arcam:-
B437E9D1-0165-424B-A4D2-36C1145AD7BB.jpeg

OK, says 2 in the manual.

Yes it’s 2 standard if you do nothing, but if you register it Arcam you get it extended to 5 for free. Most manufacturers that allow free extension of the statutory requirement want you to register. It’s common knowledge that Arcam do 5 years on their premium range and has been round like that for decade(s)...

And the warranty on Arcams are transferable, most other brands are not.
At least it was back in 2016 when I asked.

How can we tell, I don't know anyone has heard it yet, let alone with 'your' ears or taste, which is all that really counts surely.. :) Speculating on spec, DACs and pre-amps is not much help at this stage I'd say, although I'd say NAD's pedigree and previous sound quality is probably some comfort.
DAC hardware is one thing, but how that DAC is implimented and it's software is another more important factor, i.e. DAC ABC in a NAD may sound completly different to DAC ABC in an Audiolab due to how they've implimented it. A bad DAC can be a restriction, but a good one does not guarantee good sound...
In my speculative mind I suspect it will be good, may have potentially to have a 'few' bugs, may be a bit under speced compared to others in some respecs (ports, more processed channels), but have some nice extras others don't BluOS etc, but who knows..
AVR550 vs this, not taking power into account, I'd say they'll probably be on par with each other, although this may have better DIRAC implimentation, slots, bass mgt etc...

Considering the recent measurements of the 758v3, you have to question the "pedigree" .. they were really BAD! Even the M17 pre-amp showed signs of poor design in the digital domain.

audiosciencereview on the 758v3.
audiosciencereview on the M17v2

I do agree with you on the DAC. at these levels the brand of the DAC is not very important.. it is the implementation of it that matters.

And the warranty on Arcams are transferable, most other brands are not.
At least it was back in 2016 when I asked.
It isn't anymore :(

HDMI 2.1 (or eARC specifically) is my main concern.... no mention of it though.

Crazy if they don't offer it!
Not sure about the release level, but my M10 has HDMI ARC...I use it via Roku to TV, then TV to M10. Only 2ch PCM audio though (spec says not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS. I bought the M10 to use with my existing speakers and sub 2.1 system until I build a home theatre in a new home next year. T 778 might be a candidate since I want Atmos 7.1.4.

eARC is more than ARC. It passes TrueHD, Atmos etc via HDMI.

ARC is limited to Dolby Digital.

Will be interesting to hear this thing. The switch to Hybrid Digital makes sense from an efficiency perspective and I guess it provides fast clean power on demand eliminating the need for huge power supply and caps. I haven't heard any of the new integrated amps using this yet but they have reviewed really well. Seems like there is so much focus on DACs, but I agree with thatsnotmynaim (clever) that its more about the implementation. Having said that, I've always liked the AKMs in Marantz Eco system, but I know Sabre is very popular among the audiophile types.....

Anyone heard a release date more specific than "November?" I'm ready to give one a go.

Probably a good thing. Nothing worse than a promising product released before its ready.

Probably a good thing. Nothing worse than a promising product released before its ready.

Arcam have been doing that for years....

And lets not get started on Emotiva...........

some feedback on the T778 release from the local distributor:

They are awaiting Apple Airplay2 certification before the units will be released. Not sure when the first units will be released yet.

and a few sites already have pricing up, so Jan 2020 ETA seems feasible.

feedback from a big local retailer:

NAD is still waiting on certification from Apple for wireless protocol. Should release later this month and then 10 days to get into South Africa.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom