NEWS: Netflix using AV1 codec for greater efficiency on Android mobile

I know I'm an increasingly embittered old git now, but knowing that so many people watch films on their phone these days truly pains me...

Everything now has to be 'on the go...'. From sandwiches, to films, to relationships.

Sad times...<throws down walking stick>

I know I'm an increasingly embittered old git now, but knowing that so many people watch films on their phone these days truly pains me...

Everything now has to be 'on the go...'. From sandwiches, to films, to relationships.

At least we do have stunning HD 6.5"+ HDR OLED screens on our phones (S10+ anyway) and if your stuck in an hotel somewhere on a business trip you can pop it on your chest while in bed with some earplugs and get a very acceptable viewing experience if you can't connect your phone to the hotel TV (or TV is crap).

Not going to match experience with my 55" OLED at home and KEF speakers but better than nothing and most laptop screens aren't OLED.

PS in my 50's so not so young.

Last edited:

Soon we will have portait orientated tv's for the home to keep the millennials happy :)

i can manage a few min clip of someone dicking about but tv episodes/movies on a fone, no thanks.

whats the minimum data consumption of this new codec? HEVC not good enough?

At least we do have stunning HD 6.5"+ HDR OLED screens on our phones (S10+ anyway) and if your stuck in an hotel somewhere on a business trip you can pop it on your chest while in bed with some earplugs and get a very acceptable viewing experience if you can't connect your phone to the hotel TV (or TV is crap).

Not going to match experience with my 55" OLED at home and KEF speakers but better than nothing and most laptop screens aren't OLED.

PS in my 50's so not so young.
Soon we will have portait orientated tv's for the home to keep the millennials happy :)

i can manage a few min clip of someone dicking about but tv episodes/movies on a fone, no thanks.

I still use a phone with a relatively small (5.2") screen, so it's definitely no good for Movies. And even when on business and have my laptop, I rarely watch something as if it's a film I really want to see, I tend to wait until I can watch it on the Home set-up. But this is still great news overall for users as the technology moves forward. Especially I would imagine for people on limited data plans.

Yep, & I'm in my 60's so definitely not from the face-glued-to-the-phone generation. More the face-stuck-in-a-book generation. :)

Watching quite a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime stuff on my Galaxy S10 during business trips (and in plane) - so downloading them in advance.
Of course better at home on my Oled and AV, but good enough ;-)

About AV1, one reason more to wait for this years Oled`s as they have support for that.

I'm thinking of the Computer Monitors that have that 90° swivel capability. Maybe the tv's will be motorised to adjust automatically depending on the content (Film vs Phone Video).

As mentioned a couple of posts above, the significance of a mention of AV1 coming to services is also its support on our TVs.

LG like other TV manufacturers arent great at adding new features into previous years firmware, and it's codec support that explains the absence of 4K and HLG from some of the common apps on the ATV 4K for example.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom