NEWS: New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving

Cue waiting for a few generations of 8k TV to support this codec and all previous adopters being annoyed.

in reality the 50% reduction is bogus. the same was said for h265. it takes years for the encoders to improve, just as they get to a decent level something new comes along. the 90 min 4k example, thats borderline crap video video but the masses wont notice and will lap it up.

Hopefully this means at some point this decade we will be able to watch a Sky Movies film with good picture quality.

Can't wait for all those visually impressive UHD BBC iPlayer streams that somehow still only have stereo sound.

Can't wait for all those visually impressive UHD BBC iPlayer streams that somehow still only have stereo sound.
Infuriating. Even more so given the initial live broadcast often has a full 5.1 mix, and they used to provide the 5.1 stream on iPlayer.

I suspect it's a kickback from the hordes of great unwashed who moaned they couldn't hear "mumbling" through the crappy TV speakers.

You would have to think that the open media alliance AV1 compression format will get the nod for most streaming content with Amazon,Google and Netflix backing it, having said that H.266 will need new hardware so I guess Samsung and Sony must speculate it will add some consumer interest for their TV's, like having HDR10 and Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.1, eARC etc., the list will go on.
Plainly a reasonable period of technology / format standardization for future TV consumers is still a way off, the issue of built in obsolescence for new purchases will continue, as will the necessity to wait for future firmware updates for underdeveloped TV's rushed into the retail market with all the resulting operating system glitches.

Having iPlayer offering full HD picture and 5.1 audio would be nice, but I suspect we’ll still be suffering the same old low quality stuff when the new standards eventually become mainstream.

This is a great news for streaming platforms but not good for physical media.

This is a great news for streaming platforms but not good for physical media.
Why? Doesn't it mean potentially less picture compression.Also more physical data on a smaller disc which means lower cost for the studios who can produce more discs or more likely make bigger profits. Either way, along with the obvious AV manufacturer incentive there is also a studio incentive isn't there? I suppose it depends on the Capex involved.

Why? Doesn't it mean potentially less picture compression.Also more physical data on a smaller disc which means lower cost for the studios who can produce more discs or more likely make bigger profits. Either way, along with the obvious AV manufacturer incentive there is also a studio incentive isn't there? I suppose it depends on the Capex involved.

Logically you are absolutely right but I .a not sure of this codec is approved by BDA to be used for disc authoring.

I could conceivably see the new codec being supported in a new range of 8K BR players. Although broadband speeds are slowly improving, there are many people out there that have yet to see something on the likes of Netflix because their links are too feeble. The new codec may well be a way of offering material in 8K on physical media.That said, it doesn't bode well in the longer term, but then everyone said that vinyl and cassettes were dead, and yet here we are in 2020, and vinyl (not sure about cassettes) is very much in demand again. People like having physical collections of stuff, not everyone I accept, but many do. Whether that's a good enough reason for the likes of CD, DVD and BR media to stay supported by the big manufacturers in the medium to long term is hard to assess. I suspect not.

Last edited:
I could conceivably see the new codec being supported in a new range of 8K BR players. Although broadband speeds are slowly improving, there are many people out there that have yet to see something on the likes of Netflix because their links are too feeble. The new codec may well be a way of offering material in 8K on physical media.That said, it doesn't bode well in the longer, but then everyone said that vinyl and cassettes were dead, and yet here we are in 2020, and vinyl (not sure about cassettes) is very much in demand again. People like having physical collections of stuff, not everyone I accept, but many do. Whether that's a good enough reason for the likes of CD, DVD and BR media to stay supported by the big manufacturers in the medium to long term is hard to assess. I suspect not.
It all comes down to cost. DVDs have no earthly reason to exist in the developed world, but they still do. Mainly because most people don't care, but they also cost next to nothing to produce. Blu Rays have a licensing fee and that's what worries me. On a good quality 55" HDR LED TV, iTunes movies often look as good as the disc, the audio is a bit more hit and miss. I want great audio, but more importantly, I want to own (not lease) my collection.

how about keeping the size and increase quality????? Just for once.

I suspect it's a kickback from the hordes of great unwashed who moaned they couldn't hear "mumbling" through the crappy TV speakers.
That is incorrect and unnecessarily offensive.
I have an excellent sound system and good hearing. There is a lot of lousy sound transmitted and a lot of mumbling which deserves to be called out. Objections to poor quality is not "moaning", it is legitimate complaint and criticism.

That is incorrect and unnecessarily offensive.
I have an excellent sound system and good hearing. There is a lot of lousy sound transmitted and a lot of mumbling which deserves to be called out. Objections to poor quality is not "moaning", it is legitimate complaint and criticism.
The two points are not mutually exclusive. I dislike that the BBC has been forced to downgrade its service to meet the needs of the lowest common denominator, i.e. those who buy a TV with awful speakers then moan about poor sound quality (yes, it is moaning, because they place the blame on the broadcaster rather than having some introspection about their choice).

I don't dispute there is some poor broadcast sound quality, but since I bought an AV processor and some speakers I have never struggled to hear speech and effects. I took positive action about the issue and the situation (in my case I couldn't hear the speech on The Expanse through my TV speakers) improved hugely.

How is that incorrect or offensive?

My complaint was and remains addressed specifically to the previous derogatory remark,
it's a kickback from the hordes of great unwashed who moaned they couldn't hear "mumbling" through the crappy TV speakers.
The terminology is offensive to everyone who you presume to have equipment that you consider inferior to your own fine collection. It is incorrect in presuming that they all have "crappy TV speakers" when, as in my case, it simply isn't the case and it is accepted that poor audio IS a real factor.

As for your new post, I'm not sure it true` that
the BBC has been forced to downgrade its service to meet the needs of the lowest common denominator
Even if true, as a public service broadcaster, surely the BBC is legally required to cater for "the hordes of great unwashed" who cannot afford expensive add-on sound systems - whether said hordes can provide proof of their personal hygiene or not. Maybe I missed something about soap in the BBC charter. But, since they are usually in hot water themselves, perhaps it's in there somewhere. ;)

It was quite clearly tongue in cheek, and on an AV forum it was a wide generalisation about those who aren't interested in the hobby and who are publicly moaning about things that are fixable without taking the time to try to fix them. This has resulted in a worse outcome for those who do care about sound quality.

You seem to have taken it very personally. Why? It's not a personal jab, it's not directed at anyone or anything specific. Where specifically is the offence being caused other than in your own mind?

If you take offence at every throwaway comment you're going to find the internet a very frightening and triggering place.

When I wrote to the BBC asking why they had removed 5.1 streaming from iPlayer they referenced the need to have audio mixes that suit everyone. Hence downmixing to 2.0.

I wrote back suggesting that a setting which the user could configure themselves would solve this problem. This would then deliver to their license mandate.

It is worse to have had 5.1 and then remove it in response to some isolated negative feedback. The BBC is trying to please everyone, and they have had to do it I'm this case by delivering a poorer service. Unfortunately it seems that everyone is in a race to the bottom these days.

Can you give some specific examples of BBC sound mixes that don't work on your system? Perhaps you have a configuration issue?

Last edited:
You seem to have taken it very personally.
I'm afraid you are mistaken. Post #23, "offensive to everyone who ... " seems difficult to misinterpret as personal, but it seems you have..
If you take offence at every throwaway comment you're going to find the internet a very frightening and triggering place.
Wrong again, I'm afraid, augmented by your inappropriate "IF", which is completely inapplicable. Whether deliberate or not, you are now making it personal and patronizing, based on zero knowledge of my life experience. That presumption of superiority is so far removed from reality that it's faintly amusing.
I am also surprised you would suddenly suggest I might have configuration issues or any other problem with my sound system, when I had already made it clear that I don't.
You seem to have difficulty in understanding what is actually written. So you re-imagine your own version and are then unable to resist making quite pejorative, sweeping statements based on your unwarranted presumptions about people you do not even faintly know.
I'm glad you are happy with your audio system, as I am with mine. We should leave it at that and I will, because I don't find any sound improvement in denigrating others less fortunate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom