NEWS: Nokia 2.3 phone available in UK for £100

is it me, but if Nokia can offer all this for £100 then boy are we been ripped of by Apple and Samsung and the rest, yes I appreciate its not as fast or the cameras not as good etc and it might even be a pain to use, but remarkable value non the less.

Just to be clear I am not really a luddite, I have an apple phone a 6+ , it does the job never really felt a need to change to the apple 28 or what ever they are currently trying to sell me as better, when it breaks I will upgrade to the least expensive plus I can find , this wont do for most folks who feel they need to spend 50 quid a month for a phone with a 4 billion megapixel camera and the latest snap dragon widget but boy are they been mugged.

This seems to cost more than the Nokia 2.2 yet come with poorer specs (there was a 3GB 32GB option)... and the Nokia 2.2 is sadly known for being quite laggy and slow.

Personally I think the best bang for buck is around the £150-200 point. Though if you want to avoid Chinese phones like my parents did, you need to stretch to £300-350 to get OIS for the Camera which really helps photo quality.

However, there is a really big gap between the premium top of the range Huawei Pxx / Mate Pro, Samsung Galaxy S, Pixel 4 etc. and this and cheaper phones. You do get more for your money, but it probably isn't proportionately better.

poor value for money.. a brand new note 5 with 4000mah battery, 5.99 inch screen, headphone socket, 4gb ram / 64gb rom were £99.95

the current latest superior note 8 is only around £135.

Just to be clear I am not really a luddite, I have an apple phone a 6+ , it does the job never really felt a need to change to the apple 28 or what ever they are currently trying to sell me as better, when it breaks I will upgrade to the least expensive plus I can find , this wont do for most folks who feel they need to spend 50 quid a month for a phone with a 4 billion megapixel camera and the latest snap dragon widget but boy are they been mugged.
I quite agree with you, my daughter and wife are both in the Apple Eco system, the wife has recently got the latest and greatest pro version (£1100 o_Oo_O ) It is without doubt a cracking piece of kit, I on the other hand have a Huawei P Smart that I got for £170, now the Apple is certainly worth a lot more than the Huawei, but £930 more, nope, not at all. The same will go for this Nokia, I would say for a £100 phone it will be adequate butt expectations need to be made of its capability and quality.

The apple is worth whatever people are willing to pay more than a non apple. The name sells itself and is worth it for the name. An apple iphone is an apple iphone. There are £250-350 non apple phones that outperform the equivalent iphone, better camera, faster, bigger battery, has better or similar features but its still not an iphone.

My £99 Xiaomi takes better pictures than a £400-600 iphone, is just as fast/smooth to use, lasts longer with a bigger battery has many features in much more expensive iphones such as face id unlock..but at the end of the day its not an iphone.

£1100-£1500 buys you superior brand image. it's priceless.

Last edited:
@nitram_tpr you've kind of answered your own post by identifying the iPhone is a known quality and Apple have built up an ecosystem if you are in then you are in :)

@nitram_tpr you've kind of answered your own post by identifying the iPhone is a known quality and Apple have built up an ecosystem if you are in then you are in :)
Oh yes, and that is the main reason I've never had an iPhone. As good as they are I don't want to be stuck with a single maker. I like the choice you get with Android, at least with Android you can get properly low budget priced phones :thumbsup: Apple's version of a low budget phone is comical.

It is definitely an interesting budget option. I do have a Nokia 7.1 and in context of the amount being charged for it, it was really good and felt good in the hand. I got it as I needed something quick when my iPhone X was stolen and was due to travel abroad.

But scratch beyond the surface and there are some issues with it that really don't make it comparable at all with phones at different price points. For example, even though it has double the amount of RAM compared to this 2.3 model it really did struggle at times when you do a lot with it. Sure an easy solution is to manage its memory and close stuff all the time. Also initial build impressions were very impressive, but when actually using it some gaps show. For example when holding it to my ear where I do have some fine hairs from time to time they seem to get caught in the case. Definitely annoying. Also, the specs of the camera are pretty good on paper, and they don't look bad when looking at them on a mobile device screen, but get them off and they soon become a mess.

Now that is not to say that this phone can't be deemed value for money, nor that it will have the same issues (although 2GB RAM and 32GB internal memory is a bit lean), but to compare it and 'put down' top of the line phones isn't appropriate in my opinion.

Whether more is worth it is a very individual decision. To me it is, I use my phone every day in a professional context. And having the deep integration with other devices like my laptop, tablet, watch and tv viewing box makes it for a very smooth user experience where no tinkering nor workarounds are required. To me, I value that as worth a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom