NEWS: Odeon Cinemas closed until further notice

I think it's very important studios don't move to streaming releases, as when the cinema's return they're going to need a lot of help.

If all the major content is seen by people at home, when the cinema's reopen they won't have the big summer delayed releases to draw people in.

I've said this in a few different threads, but it's quite concerning to me hearing talk of any potential streaming deal happening.
One could argue that it's already begun

You’re insinuating I was making a joke about feeling smug that people are suffering. That is a flat out fabrication. It was a comment about having one’s own cinema when commercial cinemas are unavailable.

But you know that. You’re just looking for something to be outraged by so you’re making things up that were neither said nor implied. And now you’re in too deep to reverse gear or apologise. So here we are.
I don’t do “outrage” - I see things as they are written. I also am the first to apologise when I’ve been proved wrong - ownership of my mistakes is one of my strong points.
I see no need to apologise here.

I don’t do “outrage” - I see things as they are written. I also am the first to apologise when I’ve been proved wrong - ownership of my mistakes is one of my strong points.
I see no need to apologise here.

You straw-man someone by implying they meant something they didn't, and refuse to apologise even though both the people in this thread who made a similar joke have taken the time to carefully explain to you they meant nothing of the sort. News for you: Ownership of your mistakes is not one of your strong points.

You straw-man someone by implying they meant something they didn't, and refuse to apologise even though both the people in this thread who made a similar joke have taken the time to carefully explain to you they meant nothing of the sort. News for you: Ownership of your mistakes is not one of your strong points.
You’ve obviously been triggered by something I wrote here so maybe the problem IS what you wrote originally..?

Let’s say you remove the word “smugness” from you’re original quote and replace it with something like “happiness” or “gladness”.
Everybody prefers a happy person to a smug one - your original post reads entirely different.
It - like Steve Withers - you actually see past what you think is right, believe others have a different opinion to you and explain that way rather that stating I’m making accusations and implying that it seems clear other people (check the amount of people that agree with me with green ticks) believe you’re wrong also.
So if I was you, I’d have taken ownership of what I had typed originally, looked at how many people maybe agreed with someone it was wrong and taken ownership of it and possibly - just possibly - have said maybe you’re right. Smugness may not have been the right term to use.
But I fully expect you to come back on the defensive again and not even entertain another persons reason - so I shall leave it there and unsubscribe from this thread.

You’ve used the word “smugness” in reply to a thread about entire cinema chains closing to help prevent the spread of a virus that’s killing people.
On what planet is that “humour”

Anyone with a modicum of emotional intelligence knows that isn't what was meant.

Slinkywizard is right, a bit of banter is exactly what is needed right now. Joking about horrible things is the entire evolutionary purpose of humour and stops us all going crazy.

Steve may have a 'cinematic' advantage over some, but for all you know he may be disadvantaged in other ways. He may have loved ones at risk, or in financial difficulty. Don't assume people's intentions. Be kind :).

Mod comment can we get to the topic of Odeon and Cinema closing rather than he said or they implied etc.

Mod comment can we get to the topic of Odeon and Cinema closing rather than he said or they implied etc.

Indeed.

Getting back on topic then; although I do worry for those in the cinema/multiplex industry, and about the economic impact on them personally as well as the surrounding environments they create (a lot of multiplexes have restaurants and shops huddled about them that rely on the influx of foot traffic to the cinema in order to do business) – I do think it will be very interesting to see if this fundamentally changes the model.

There are a few things I can see possibly happening, including fewer cinemas and renting or buying streams becoming the dominant way of consuming new releases. From my own perspective I am ambivalent about the possibility as it is likely to negatively affect so many – not only those working in the bricks and mortor cinema business, but to a smaller extent those whose setup consists only of a moderately sized television and who no longer have the option to enjoy a cinematic experience.

I think there's a genuine chance that experience may slowly disappear. On the flipside, I think it's also possible that increased take-up in things like projectors and very large screen TVs due to the dearth of nearby movie theatres may drive prices down and propel innovation at a greater pace, making better home experiences more affordable and less purely the realm of nutjobs like us.

Last edited:
I feel for the employees, most on low wages, they have my deepest sympathies.

At this time yesterday, I was on the free (for me, ha-ha!) X56 bus from Edinburgh to Perth, to watch the 16:25 showing of the Oscar-winning film Parasite at the Perth IMAX:

IMAX Playhouse in Perth for Parasite_G0-83.jpg

I've been to Perth before, including only three weeks ago, and I noticed that there were far fewer people walking about the streets than normal. Including my teacher friend from Kinross whom I mentioned in my unconventional A Quiet Place thread and I, there were only five people attending the showing, in a screen that could hold over a hundred. So I'm not surprised that Odeon and Vue cinemas have closed today. As has the Cameo independent cinema in Tollcross, Edinburgh. However,
for now the Filmhouse (venue of the annual Edinburgh film festival) website is still advertising films:
Filmhouse still showing films.jpg

And of course, the closures are terrible for those employed in the entertainment industry. However, as Mr Withers said, this is where my home cinemas come to the fore, although I won't be hosting any of my occasional gatherings to watch particular films any time soon.

For years people have ridiculed my hobby, but now my home cinema and I get the last laugh!
Have you ever considered posting any photos Steve? I, and I'm sure many other forum members would be very interested (and jealous) to see it...!

At this time yesterday, I was on the free (for me, ha-ha!) X56 bus from Edinburgh to Perth, to watch the 16:25 showing of the Oscar-winning film Parasite at the Perth IMAX:

View attachment 1270884

I've been to Perth before, including only three weeks ago, and I noticed that there were far fewer people walking about the streets than normal. Including my teacher friend from Kinross whom I mentioned in my unconventional A Quiet Place thread and I, there were only five people attending the showing, in a screen that could hold over a hundred. So I'm not surprised that Odeon and Vue cinemas have closed today. As has the Cameo independent cinema in Tollcross, Edinburgh. However,
for now the Filmhouse (venue of the annual Edinburgh film festival) website is still advertising films:
View attachment 1270891

And of course, the closures are terrible for those employed in the entertainment industry. However, as Mr Withers said, this is where my home cinemas come to the fore, although I won't be hosting any of my occasional gatherings to watch particular films any time soon.
I really like the way you tell stuff. :thumbsup:

Picturehouse is actually owned by Cineworld so it was inevitable they follow suit. Cineworld have also closed their American chain Regal Cinemas and a recent acquisition in Canada. People often quote Picturehouse as being 'independent' when, in fact, they are part of the second largest cinema chain in the world with over 9500 screens. Sadly it isn't British owned, although the company was before it was bought by Cinema City International which is based in the Netherlands. The origins of Cinema City International are in Israel.

It might not last though. But for the price I honestly think its a mental hurdle for most people. $20 to watch a film at home (mostly on a TV only and just once) or $20 to watch it on a huge screen with huge sound.

I possibly would, but the trouble is timing. I'm fine with day and day release, bring it on in fact, but I'm sat at home in front of my PC tonight typing this since my factory has shut for an unmentioned, (probably "We scared to tell you how long") amount of time. Spending £20 to watch a film is not high up on my "let's get through this list".
Not having a go, since most of this thread is posts about taking posts the wrong way, but doing this now is not going to get the numbers to a level where Universal's interest is peaked. Bare in mind that for the first week at least, the studios take a huge share in the ticket price at the cinema, so $/£20 to them direct isn't going to get them much more money than a cinema ticket.

Makes sense to close temporarily rather than weather the storm and remain open only to go bankrupt in the process. You know, to retain jobs.

It might not last though. But for the price I honestly think its a mental hurdle for most people. $20 to watch a film at home (mostly on a TV only and just once) or $20 to watch it on a huge screen with huge sound.

I possibly would, but the trouble is timing. I'm fine with day and day release, bring it on in fact, but I'm sat at home in front of my PC tonight typing this since my factory has shut for an unmentioned, (probably "We scared to tell you how long") amount of time. Spending £20 to watch a film is not high up on my "let's get through this list".
Not having a go, since most of this thread is posts about taking posts the wrong way, but doing this now is not going to get the numbers to a level where Universal's interest is peaked. Bare in mind that for the first week at least, the studios take a huge share in the ticket price at the cinema, so $/£20 to them direct isn't going to get them much more money than a cinema ticket.
1) $20/£18 to watch a cinema release film at the comfort of your home is value for money.
2) A ticket to the cinema is £13 in London, up to £40 for a family of 4 not including the commute.

Remember these studios need income for cashflow, how long could they sustain not dropping new films. They are now trying to keep the revenue stream going by releasing their non blockbuster films online.

I would not be surprised to see A Quiet Place 2 released online by June and many other films, until you don't experiment you won't know how much money you could rake in through VOD release.

1) $20/£18 to watch a cinema release film at the comfort of your home is value for money.
2) A ticket to the cinema is £13 in London, up to £40 for a family of 4 not including the commute.

Remember these studios need income for cashflow, how long could they sustain not dropping new films. They are now trying to keep the revenue stream going by releasing their non blockbuster films online.

I would not be surprised to see A Quiet Place 2 released online by June and many other films, until you don't experiment you won't know how much money you could rake in through VOD release.
True. Never thought of the whole family watching. It's normally just me going since the missus and I agreed we won't drag the other out to film they are not interested in.

Still don't see this continuing after we all get back to normal, but people might think twice about the cost of taking a whole family after this. But here's hoping we go out and support local businesses big or small after this is done with.

True. Never thought of the whole family watching. It's normally just me going since the missus and I agreed we won't drag the other out to film they are not interested in.

Still don't see this continuing after we all get back to normal, but people might think twice about the cost of taking a whole family after this. But here's hoping we go out and support local businesses big or small after this is done with.
If it goes for more than 3 months, I doubt anyone wants to be isolated in a dark cinema room. We need a holiday/trip away from home (realistically speaking) by then.

The difficulty I see in digital home releases is the 3 month gap between rental and ownership kinda becomes pointless no? They can't do without it though financially though as the industry lives off of the double dip. Unless you pay an extra premium to keep it from the start?

On a side note regarding Perth Playhouse, my grandfather helped put up the neon Playhouse sign many decades ago. Swears he saw a ghost! :p

The difficulty I see in digital home releases is the 3 month gap between rental and ownership kinda becomes pointless no? They can't do without it though financially though as the industry lives off of the double dip. Unless you pay an extra premium to keep it from the start?

On a side note regarding Perth Playhouse, my grandfather helped put up the neon Playhouse sign many decades ago. Swears he saw a ghost! :p
Yeah, this. And if a film costs me £20 to watch I’m going to want to own it forever, otherwise no dice. I will wait.

Indeed.

Getting back on topic then; although I do worry for those in the cinema/multiplex industry, and about the economic impact on them personally as well as the surrounding environments they create (a lot of multiplexes have restaurants and shops huddled about them that rely on the influx of foot traffic to the cinema in order to do business) – I do think it will be very interesting to see if this fundamentally changes the model.

There are a few things I can see possibly happening, including fewer cinemas and renting or buying streams becoming the dominant way of consuming new releases. From my own perspective I am ambivalent about the possibility as it is likely to negatively affect so many – not only those working in the bricks and mortor cinema business, but to a smaller extent those whose setup consists only of a moderately sized television and who no longer have the option to enjoy a cinematic experience.

I think there's a genuine chance that experience may slowly disappear. On the flipside, I think it's also possible that increased take-up in things like projectors and very large screen TVs due to the dearth of nearby movie theatres may drive prices down and propel innovation at a greater pace, making better home experiences more affordable and less purely the realm of nutjobs like us.

I suspect that's just wishful thinking.

In the UK, at least, in general people simply don't have the space to have large TV's or projectors. Of course over time there is definitely a trend towards larger screens as the industry pushes them relentlessly (and you simply can't get small OLED screens). But sub 50" screens still massively dominate even in the living room. When you factor in immersive sound such as Atmos (and no I'm not talking pretend soundbar Atmos) that figure dwindles to a tiny minority who usually will have dedicated rooms. That is ignoring the cost of a decent setup being out of reach for the vast majority. It will of course increase somewhat but it will be a very small amount relatively speaking.

What it IS likely to mean (as you mention) is a further erosion of our ability to own stuff and instead we'll move to a pure "rental" (streaming) system where we will own nothing and "suffer" streaming with all the positives and negatives that come with it. The announcement of early releases today costing upwards of £16 A FILM and you not being able to keep them *AND* on a 48h watch or miss schedule is a stark example of that.

I think the knock on effect to the ancillary industries such as music are where it's really going to hurt. Most musicians are not salaried (e.g. most, if not all the players in the London Symphony Orchestra, one of the greatest orchestras in the world, are not salaried) so when they don't play, they don't get paid. Some might be able to pick up private teaching with the schools being off, of course, but some instruments, especially early on, simply need the teacher to be there to work.

Interesting times for sure.

G

:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom