NEWS: Optoma opens preorders for 4K UHZ65UST short throw projector with soundbar

Your question is loaded with a lot of mis-directions and decisions not made

I know. it’s just an idea. I’m already sorted for sound, running 5.2.4, currently have a 55inch OLED which stands on a bespoke AV unit. The unit will not accommodate a bigger TV (due to other equipment) and my wife will not allow me to wall mount a TV - one of the very restrictions she has given me. I do not have the scope to put a rear mounted projector in the lounge, logistically too difficult - you’ll have to trust me on that.

I thought that an UST could sit exactly where the TV is currently and project on to a c100inch frameless screen. I’m around 3m from the screen/wall. I watch general TV or movies, never sport.

The other restriction is that it is a lounge, so I can’t paint it a dark colour. It is currently a very very light grey - closer to an off white. Also on a night, when most TV is watched, my wife is often doing other things in the lounge whilst I watch the TV, reading or looking at her phone - so she insists on having the lamps on, but they are not really bright and have shades that would avoid direct light hitting the screen.

I have had OLED and Plasma, so like my black levels. If a UST in anything less that complete darkness is going to a huge drop in quality, then I’ll just stick at 55inch TV. I’m not willing to sacrifice that much quality simply for a much bigger picture. All the marketing pictures show UST being used in very light environment and perhaps that is misleading me...

I know. it’s just an idea. I’m already sorted for sound, running 5.2.4, currently have a 55inch OLED which stands on a bespoke AV unit. The unit will not accommodate a bigger TV (due to other equipment) and my wife will not allow me to wall mount a TV - one of the very restrictions she has given me. I do not have the scope to put a rear mounted projector in the lounge, logistically too difficult - you’ll have to trust me on that.

I thought that an UST could sit exactly where the TV is currently and project on to a c100inch frameless screen. I’m around 3m from the screen/wall. I watch general TV or movies, never sport.

The other restriction is that it is a lounge, so I can’t paint it a dark colour. It is currently a very very light grey - closer to an off white. Also on a night, when most TV is watched, my wife is often doing other things in the lounge whilst I watch the TV, reading or looking at her phone - so she insists on having the lamps on, but they are not really bright and have shades that would avoid direct light hitting the screen.

I have had OLED and Plasma, so like my black levels. If a UST in anything less that complete darkness is going to a huge drop in quality, then I’ll just stick at 55inch TV. I’m not willing to sacrifice that much quality simply for a much bigger picture. All the marketing pictures show UST being used in very light environment and perhaps that is misleading me...

sound sorted. Great.
ust projectors and screens make it hard to match black levels because some ALR screens don’t work with them.
what’s your maximum throw distance?

i would suggest getting a normal projector, keeping your oled, mounting a motorised screen on the ceiling then you can use the projector when you want and the tv when you want to during the day.

best of both worlds. no compromises and you get access to a larger pool of projectors and screens.

buy a motorised draper react screen, projector wise you have a lot more options and I’d go for the Epson 9400 or 9300 or if you want to go cheaper and don’t care for resolution go for older models like hw 40es 50es or JVC offerings

short throws are great if your throw distance is short. But if its not then a normal throw projector and motorised screen offer subtlety, the ability to have a tv mounted behind the screen for use etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom