NEWS: Panasonic exits Australian TV market - Beginning of the end?

One of best if not the best company for tv sets and thy will soon go down this way.

Did some business in Oz a few years ago ( consumer electronics) it really wasn't a value added market , entirely focused on driving pricing down, will suit the Chinese suppliers.

you shouldn't use the words north american sector, they left the US tv market around 2015, but in canada their tv's are available and in mexico too they continue to support some tv models.

Maybe in two or three years time you'll read they are quitting uk, they may eventually be down to only selling tv's in their home market japan or worst they could scrap their consumer tv division. They are slowly headed pioneer's way. It's a shame, the market will keep getting more mediocre chinese and korean brands, the great japanese brands would be no more except sony..

Maybe in two or three years time you'll read they are quitting uk, they may eventually be down to only selling tv's in their home market japan or worst they could scrap their consumer tv division. They are slowly headed pioneer's way. It's a shame, the market will keep getting more mediocre chinese and korean brands, the great japanese brands would be no more except sony..

The problem is that TVs have become simple commodities. All that research and investment to produce higher-end TVs and adapt them to various markets is probably not worth much anymore, since most people can't really tell the difference between a £400 and a £4000 TV - or if they could, they don't care. I think that's why LG are seemingly doing okay - they do have some really good TVs, but they also sell a lot of entirely boring TVs.

I think that LG TVs are pretty good. I have comparable Panasonic and LG models, and for me the LG wins hands down. It’s a pity that they’ll be less choice for Aussie consumers, but the market is still well-served. Ultimately, you can’t expect a business to keep going if it isn’t generating revenue in a market, and whether it be TVs or widgets, the same rules apply. Panasonic is not the brand that it once was, in my opinion, and it could be that would be punters are voting with their wallets, especially if what Panasonic is offering is beaten by the competition. As for the other markets that Panasonic operates in, time will tell.

Clem

I guess it comes down to innovation, in the good old days the big brands had there own propriety cathode ray tube tech, sony with trinitron and pana with Quintrex . these helped said brands differentiate there offerings within the market places to good effect. They could charge a premium and there tech was substantially better than most of the competition, reliability was good to.
Nowadays entry level pana tvs are made by vestel and there top end panels come from lg so they are only left to tweak the tvs with various gains they can determine through silicon technologies. From a consumer perspective, so what, they may as well buy an Lg or Samsung and retailers are more than happy to tell folks were the panels come from so they can save £xxx in most instances by paying for a competitors product.
So that effectively leaves them with some very nice but not cost effective products. The consumer will in most instances buy on price, hence the rise of supermarket brands and leaves pana as a niche supplier.

Last edited:
16 years ago Sony and Panasonic were still manufacturing TV's in UK. These were the giants of the TV market.

Fast forward to 2020 both have to buy in their OLED panels from LG. Panasonic are closing down in certain territories. Sony seem to be slightly more agile with changing demands. Now Samsung and LG are the giants of the TV market.

Perhaps what Sony and Panasonic should have done in the mid 00's was split there business in two for tv's and have some kind of premium logo on the better end and invested better. For the cheaper end they should have aggressively invested more in low cost economies driving the price down as low as possible fighting off the new guys on the block.

Next could be Philips.

Nowadays entry level pana tvs are made by vestel and there top end panels come from lg so they are only left to tweak the tvs with various gains they can determine through silicon technologies. From a consumer perspective, so what, they may as well buy an Lg or Samsung and retailers are more than happy to tell folks were the panels come from so they can save £xxx in most instances by paying for a competitors product.
this article is related to australia, vestel doesnt manufacture anything for panasonic outside europe.

Next could be Philips.

Philips? You need to remember Philips TV's have not been Philips for a long time. Philips sold it's TV division to TPV technology Chinese company due to it not being competitive anymore.

So actually Philips TV's is a prime example of how bad things could get for Sony and Panasonic TV market. Getting to a point to sell off their TV sector to a Chinese firm because it got so bad.

Without TPV Technology the name Philips in TV's would probably have been dead a decade ago.

this article is related to australia, vestel doesnt manufacture anything for panasonic outside europe.
And? I was giving a general overview of why the Brands seem to be in decline

Philips? You need to remember Philips TV's have not been Philips for a long time. Philips sold it's TV division to TPV technology Chinese company due to it not being competitive anymore.

So actually Philips TV's is a prime example of how bad things could get for Sony and Panasonic TV market. Getting to a point to sell off their TV sector to a Chinese firm because it got so bad.

Without TPV Technology the name Philips in TV's would probably have been dead a decade ago.

I am aware of this but if you could post some sales figures of their TVs, we can gauge if they could be the next to fall. Ultimately they are here to innovate and make profits.

I am aware of this but if you could post some sales figures of their TVs, we can gauge if they could be the next to fall. Ultimately they are here to innovate and make profits.

Not really that bothered what they sell. You can go on google if you want to find out.
Anyway will a largish Chinese company fail? You can ask state aid on that one.

The point being Philips TV's are far further down the track than Sony or Panasonic are. The overall question would be if things got so bad for Panasonic and Sony would they rather pull out of the TV market altogether and not allow the brand to be used by someone else who solely owed their old TV business.

I know this is going back quite a few year's but over here in the days of CRT displays Mitsubishi were one of the leaders in large (for those times) 4:3 TV sets, I had one myself a "33 which for those day's was big. But when flat screen displays started to emerge with plasma and LCD display's they threw the towel in.

It would be a shame if this eventually happens with Panasonic over in these shores. As has been said.... Pioneer all over again? In fact it was Panasonic who, I believe, "bought" some of Pioneer's tech and hired some of their engineers when they finished production on their "Kuro" brand.

I know this is going back quite a few year's but over here in the days of CRT displays Mitsubishi were one of the leaders in large (for those times) 4:3 TV sets, I had one myself a "33 which for those day's was big. But when flat screen displays started to emerge with plasma and LCD display's they threw the towel in.

It would be a shame if this eventually happens with Panasonic over in these shores. As has been said.... Pioneer all over again? In fact it was Panasonic who, I believe, "bought" some of Pioneer's tech and hired some of their engineers when they finished production on their "Kuro" brand.
They hired about 200 of pioneers best engineers, once pioneer had exited the plasma party they had for a time chance to make hay for quite a few years there plasmas were spot on.

One of best if not the best company for tv sets and thy will soon go down this way.
My 24 inch Panasonic bedroom tv has been going eight years strong, not missed a beat and I would hope the next one would also be a Panasonic. Oh well

My 24 inch Panasonic bedroom tv has been going eight years strong, not missed a beat and I would hope the next one would also be a Panasonic. Oh well
My Viera plasma over 10 years stil rocking ♥️♥️♥️♥️

Whilst my Panasonic plasma 50" VT30 is just over six year's old and still going as well as it was when new, the Mitsubishi 33" CRT I mentioned above was going strong for (apart from one small replacement part) nineteen year's before it gave up the ghost.

The problem is that TVs have become simple commodities. All that research and investment to produce higher-end TVs and adapt them to various markets is probably not worth much anymore, since most people can't really tell the difference between a £400 and a £4000 TV - or if they could, they don't care. I think that's why LG are seemingly doing okay - they do have some really good TVs, but they also sell a lot of entirely boring TVs.
LG are in trouble. Its mid and low range TV's haven't been selling well and LG Display and LG Electronics aren't seeing eye to eye recently and are in debt. LG Display (the people that supply the panels) are ditching LED due to poor sales of their LED TV's and focusing on OLED. Where LG Electronics are turning away from OLED as OLED's have too many issues and high return rates, so are focusing on micro LED and filed two patents for micro led.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully Panasonic will be ok in the UK market. Really crossing my fingers that they come out with mini and micro led TV's. A mini or micro led Panasonic with a Samsung anti reflective filter would be hard to beat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom