NEWS: Panasonic HZ2000 and HZ1500 Dolby Atmos Upfiring OLEDs, plus HZ1000 OLED TV launched

Hi

Has Panasonic given any explanation or reason for no 48" oled size? Why it has no intention to compete in that oled medium size range with Sony and LG? It's disappointing..

Was hoping for some new uhd players, never the less my ub820 is going strong

Last edited:
Be interesting to see some of the new features, including home screen 5, but I doubt it will make me wish I could upgrade my gz950

Keep in mind this is just for the first half of 2020. Video coming later tonight but most of the information is in the news story. No HDMI 2.1 48Gbps on any of the models. Interesting that the upfiring speakers make it to the HZ1500 for Atmos and DV IQ looks really interesting.

Last edited:
To bad that they are not hdmi 2.1,so LG is still most rounded package overal.

Hi

Has Panasonic given any explanation or reason for no 48" oled size? Why it has no intention to compete in that oled medium size range with Sony and LG? It's disappointing..

The only thing I know is they seem to be pulling back on their global presence with the Australia announcement so I would guess the fact that Panasonic is selling less OLEDs globally than Sony and especially LG probably forces them to the amount of sizes they release.

To bad that they are not hdmi 2.1,so LG is still most rounded package overal.

Panny dropped the ball on that one with the new xbox and PS5 coming later this year, plus the LGs have had hdmi 2.1 for 2 years..it cant cost more i'm finding it really odd that manufacturers reluctance to include it on their new TVs for this year

Oh dear, Panasonic really seem out of touch of the demands from consumers. The HZ1500 could have been perfect to roll in the custom OLED panel and drop those Atmos speakers.

They've literally done the opposite of what most were hoping for. There's always next year. *fingers crossed*

can you stop saying launched? that's the wrong word to use in a headline. these tvs dont launch before july.

I imagine they will be on general sale, in the uk for example, around July, but this was the launch event, so surely saying they have been launched is correct?
many things are launched well before they go on sale...

I was also hoping the the pro panel to trickle down. It's like 5000 euro over here for 65....
DV IQ and filmmaker is nice and all but also on LG. Hdmi 2.1 is really missing with so close to ps5 but I understand their focus is movies which is fine.

If the HZ1000 is the new GZ950 I really hope there is a noticable PQ upgrade.

And hope the fixed the biggest issue compared to LG/Sony, the banding in bright scenes around suns and stuff. That is pretty basic since they excel in near black and fixed the chroma flashing. And that 24p stutter should also be gone right? :)

Oh dear, Panasonic really seem out of touch of the demands from consumers. The HZ1500 could have been perfect to roll in the custom OLED panel and drop those Atmos speakers.

They've literally done the opposite of what most were hoping for. There's always next year. *fingers crossed*

Most consumers are not avforums members. Working in a TV retail environment with customers everyday, all in one solutions on flagship models sell best. Every company agree Sony, Philip's, LG, Panasonic all offer in built audio solutions with their flagships

Nothing is stopping people buying the GZ2000 and adding it existing/new systems if they please also

I imagine they will be on general sale, in the uk for example, around July, but this was the launch event, so surely saying they have been launched is correct?
many things are launched well before they go on sale...
i have never seen the word launched used to mean anything than available at retail. so can we say that the ps5 has been launched? since sony has publicly confirmed its existence.

i have never seen the word launched used to mean anything than available at retail. so can we say that the ps5 has been launched? since sony has publicly confirmed its existence.

Interesting... I always thought Apple for example had launch events well before the new tech went on sale. Anyway, the key point is the new HZs won't be in the shops for several months...

Panasonic sucks with their schedules, july means we might not see professional reviews like hdtvtest until august or later. Lg will launch in april (in north america at least..and by may/june elsewhere i guess).

Another slightly disappointed ready-to-go purchaser here that was hoping (perhaps unrealistically) they would release a custom panel model without the full on speaker system. I can almost stomach paying the extra money for the speaker system that will be off 99% of the time, but it adds a lot to the depth of the TV as well and I was hoping for Sony-like minimalist asthetics.
I'll probably still buy one though, despite having a moan about it. :)
It's not perfect, but ticks more boxes on my spreadsheet that anything else at the moment and I'm not waiting another year.

@Phil Hinton
Phil are we to expect an HZ950 later this year? Or has that been dropped with the HZ1000 taking it's place?Thanks!

There will be a replacement for the GZ950 but they couldn’t confirm exact details today,

Panny dropped the ball on that one with the new xbox and PS5 coming later this year, plus the LGs have had hdmi 2.1 for 2 years..it cant cost more i'm finding it really odd that manufacturers reluctance to include it on their new TVs for this year

Implies that it's perhaps more niche than some would like to think.

As nice as it is to be future-proofed, I think a majority of people, myself included, don't really care about 2.1 at all. If they did, I think we'd be seeing more widespread implementation by now...

The most ironic part of this is (it isn't a go a Phil this is about the state of affairs currently at Panasonic)

'Panasonic OLED displays are used extensively throughout Hollywood post production facilities and renowned Hollywood colourist Stefan Sonnenfeld, who has worked on movies such as A Star is Born, Man of Steel, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World and many more, remains on hand to help Panasonic deliver images to viewers as the creator intended. Furthermore, video enthusiasts will be able to benefit from certain features which have been added by Panasonic at the request of studio professionals.'

But............................ Hollywood is in the USA and the biggest market for Hollywood is home. Yet Panasonic have pulled selling TV's there. :rotfl:

The most ironic part of this is (it isn't a go a Phil this is about the state of affairs currently at Panasonic)

'Panasonic OLED displays are used extensively throughout Hollywood post production facilities and renowned Hollywood colourist Stefan Sonnenfeld, who has worked on movies such as A Star is Born, Man of Steel, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World and many more, remains on hand to help Panasonic deliver images to viewers as the creator intended. Furthermore, video enthusiasts will be able to benefit from certain features which have been added by Panasonic at the request of studio professionals.'

But............................ Hollywood is in the USA and the biggest market for Hollywood is home. Yet Panasonic have pulled selling TV's there. :rotfl:
I've always assumed there must be a' trade' channel to purchase as a business, as opposed to consumer retail?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom