NEWS: Panasonic launches HX940, HX900 and HX800 4K LCD TVs for 2020

THX1138UK what you write about is looking like a BFI frame insertion option it TVs?
I don't know if you have read this but I dont like all those image processing stuff in TVs like BFI, ISF, local dimming (very annoying as subtitles on dark scenes are darker then on brighter ones), advanced backlight control etc etc. I always turn all this OFF because I like stable image.
and then this process you write about doesnt happen right?

It's strange they even did that tilt.. wonder if it's on purpose or the feet aren;t properly designed ? Does your TV wobble or is stable?

The TV is rock solid, the feet are actually very well constructed. When I initially connected them to the TV, they felt weighty and substantial

THX1138UK what you write about is looking like a BFI frame insertion option it TVs?
I don't know if you have read this but I dont like all those image processing stuff in TVs like BFI, ISF, local dimming (very annoying as subtitles on dark scenes are darker then on brighter ones), advanced backlight control etc etc. I always turn all this OFF because I like stable image.
and then this process you write about doesnt happen right?

My GZ950 OLED has Black Frame Insertion (BFI), which I disable, as the Display & Hold motion doesn't overly bother me and BFI has the negative effect of halving the brightness for HDR content. I have only seen BFI included on OLED panels, so double-refresh may well work differently on LCD/LED technology - I can't comment on it's effectiveness on LCD/LED TVs or what issues it may introduce as I have not seen it.

I have only seen double-refresh on an old Panasonic CRT displays (576i [PAL]) that I had before Plasma technology was widely available, and this did work very effectively at reducing flicker - but we were using true interlaced televisions then, and motion wasn't a problem.

Some people are more sensitive than others to 50 Hz flicker, and others are more sensitive to Display & Hold motion flaws.

We need AVForums and/or HDTVTest to get hold of one of these new Panasonic TVs to do a thorough in-depth technical review, to understand what these features are actually delivering regarding picture quality and motion.

We do already know that the peak brightness levels on the Panasonic LCD/LED TVs is relatively low, so they are never going to deliver spectacular HDR performance.

While agree that over aggressive picture processing is bad (frame interpolation etc.), certain features are options that let you get close to what the director intended as possible:

ISF (Image Science Foundation) is a picture mode that should be very close to Reference standards. It's really intended to be used when calibrating a TV, but it should be pretty close out of the box. It's not a processing feature. Colour, brightness and contract should be much better than Standard/VIVID.

For most people, Local Dimming improves the image, by reducing the light behind dark areas of the screen to improve contrast. FALD (Full Array Local Dimming), is preferred, but sadly missing on the Panasonics. The more local dimming zones present, the better the level of control. If there are too few zones, than it will be ineffective.

Backlight needs to be a balanced so that overall image isn't too dark, but blooming is kept under control and not too distracting. The technology isn't perfect, it's a compromise.

Regards,
James.

THX1138UK Thanks for the input I know many people like those features many people like BFI for eg. for sports. I meant IFC ( Intelligent Frame Creation ) in case of Panasonic Im using it only for TV viewing at min. but for blu ray movies I turn it off too and other stuff is turned off by default anyway on most accurate picture mode which is true cinema.
What suprises me is why Panasonic in their top model went for IPS panel ? If they would switch to va it would give this TV better results just by much higher native contrast.

Badger Mushroom
Does HX940B has covers at back like in all Panasonics? Small cover for analogs/optic and bigger one for cover the HDMI inputs etc?

Last edited:
Badger Mushroom
Does HX940B has covers at back like in all Panasonics? Small cover for analogs/optic and bigger one for cover the HDMI inputs etc?
I posted pics of the back a few pages ago, this review gives you another picture

I posted pics of the back a few pages ago, this review gives you another picture

I saw your picture and in this review but there is no cover on the back? while on this "dutch" review on you tube there is cover and Panasonic on most TVs used cover at back.

There's a cover for the big area on the back with all the inputs

Happy with the picture although I would say you may want to try out the picture processing settings rather than instantly dismiss them. Gaming is great, play on Xbox and PC with no noticeable lag input wise. The HDR on PC is good as well, noticeably brighter and more vivid colours

Badger I always try picture/processing settings on a new TV. I have one other question for you: how did you roll back the firmware on Panasonic? I wanted to do this once on the SONY but it's not possible.

I have decided to try out the 55 GZ950B. In +couple hours I will go to pick it up :)

Last edited:
What suprises me is why Panasonic in their top model went for IPS panel ? If they would switch to va it would give this TV better results just by much higher native contrast.

Availability, and cost cutting probably. IPS panels do have better viewing angles. The panels on the new range of TVS seem quite a step down from the flagship Panasonic LCD/LED DX902B models from a few years ago - although this was before Panasonic introduced their OLED TVs.

Regards,
James.

Badger I always try picture/processing settings on a new TV. I have one other question for you: how did you roll back the firmware on Panasonic? I wanted to do this once on the SONY but it's not possible.

I have decided to try out the 55 GZ950B. In +couple hours I will go to pick it up :)
I didn't roll it back, just downloaded and applied the latest firmware

Is it worth buying a Panasonic TV 55HX940E? (TEST)

Is it worth buying a Panasonic TV 55HX940E? (TEST)

A very fair and reasoned review from Poland (thank you Google Translate).

They claim 410 cd/m2 peak brightness. I have to agree that a 55" GZ950 OLED is a far more attractive buy if you can still find one.

Regards,
James.

From rtvmaniak.pl - "The algorithms themselves work well and sometimes can positively affect the reception of a given scene without overexposing the entire strip from the bottom up"
What does that mean? Can strips that go from the bottom up be seen in some scenes or letterbox bars?

From rtvmaniak.pl - "The algorithms themselves work well and sometimes can positively affect the reception of a given scene without overexposing the entire strip from the bottom up"
What does that mean? Can strips that go from the bottom up be seen in some scenes or letterbox bars?

It with reference to the Local Dimming Zones.
The TV is edge lit and there are only 8 zones, arranged in vertical columns.

Regards,
James.

New firmware 3.353 EU/UK for HX800/HX900

Improvements
Date/Version Description
Sep. 8, 2020
Ver. 3.353

Improve network applications.
Improve system stability.

New firmware 3.053 EU/UK for HX940

Improvements
Date/Version Description
Sep. 8, 2020
Ver. 3.053

Improve network applications.
Improve system stability.

I've just installed this new firmware and I would swear before I did the power LED was red when the TV was in standby, now's its orange. Would this be correct?

orangeLED.PNG

I just had my 65DX902B wrecked by a contractor today and was wondering what people think would be a like for like replacement for it for insurance purposes because I am getting the feeling that the 65HX940 would be what they will offer and I don't think that is like for like? 902B has FALD and this doesn't. Should they offer a mid-range OLED? Thanks for any help.

Looking very closely at the TX-65HX800B, seeing nothing but good reviews from the big tech sites. Looks to be the best mid-priced TV at that size for around £1200, the fact that it also supports Dolby Vision and HDR10+ seems like a winner. Anyone else tempted?

Brilliant, thats it. "Power on by easy Mirroring" was on as I'd been to connect to my Iphone 11, which wouldn't work. I've never tried mirroring before and couldn't get it to work on my GZ950 so thought I'd try on my HX820 but no luck there either. If you have ideas on this subject as well that would be appreciated also.

As for the update, I hope it fixes the network issue as from new its always dropping out of Netfix or Prime especially after hitting the "Back" button. Last night it seemed pretty stable so fingers crossed for the future.
Bazza

In this review of 75inch:
there is interesting statement:
" As far as we can tell, though, the screen only has eight ‘physical’ LED local dimming zones, placed along the top or bottom edge. "
Top and bottom edge - if thats is true than local dimming should work even better? (2017 sony xe93 has zones on top and bottom edge and that works well according to reviews)

In this review of 75inch:
there is interesting statement:
" As far as we can tell, though, the screen only has eight ‘physical’ LED local dimming zones, placed along the top or bottom edge. "
Top and bottom edge - if thats is true than local dimming should work even better? (2017 sony xe93 has zones on top and bottom edge and that works well according to reviews)

My 55Hx853 has 16 zones on the left and right edges and that works well. I'd say top and bottom would maybe be better for uniformity, but worse if you like films with letterbox bars

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom