NEWS: Panasonic launches HX940, HX900 and HX800 4K LCD TVs for 2020

Just to add to the product confusion regarding the 2020 Panasonic LCD/LED TVs, John Lewis are selling a range of TVs labelled:

TX-43HX585B - £399
TX-50HX585B - £449
TX-55HX585B - £499

Must be fairly low-end models going by the prices.

Regards,
James.

Panasonic TX-55 HX940 review: better muscles or brain?

Another thoughtful, and well executed Technical review, this time from Italy.

It’ll be interesting so see some picture quality & motion handling comparisons between the 940 and 800 series.

I do still get the impression (from reviews) that Panasonic are charging high-end prices for the 940 series, when the panels can’t quite deliver.

Regards,
James.

I saw this review too but I thought they were talking about the whole HX940 range because in their review they mentioned "Screen Sizes: 43-, 65-, 75-inch"!
no big deal !

Happy with the picture although I would say you may want to try out the picture processing settings rather than instantly dismiss them. Gaming is great, play on Xbox and PC with no noticeable lag input wise. The HDR on PC is good as well, noticeably brighter and more vivid colours

Hi Badger,

I'm considering purchasing the 43-inch HX940. How is the contrast and does it perform well in a dimly lit room - i.e. are the blacks decent or are they a bit washed out? I understand it has some fancy local dimming technology though - how does this perform?

I'm torn between this one and the HX800 (which is VA). I haven't been able to see the 940 in person and reviews seem very hard to find!

Cheers!

Hi Badger,

I'm considering purchasing the 43-inch HX940. How is the contrast and does it perform well in a dimly lit room - i.e. are the blacks decent or are they a bit washed out? I understand it has some fancy local dimming technology though - how does this perform?

I'm torn between this one and the HX800 (which is VA). I haven't been able to see the 940 in person and reviews seem very hard to find!

Cheers!

Only the 75” is VA, all other panel sizes are IPS.

Only the 75” is VA, all other panel sizes are IPS.

I'm aware. However I'm just wondering if the 43" IPS is worth purchasing over the 40" HX800 (which has a VA panel). :)

If the blacks/darks are bad with the HX940 I might go with the HX800 instead and live with the 50 Hz panel. Was hoping for an owner's opinion.

If the blacks/darks are bad with the HX940 I might go with the HX800 instead and live with the 50 Hz panel. Was hoping for an owner's opinion.

Apologies for the rubbish iPad photography, the shots are of a 4K, HD and an SD source:

DAD843AA-0CC4-4997-8490-88F7797FCA8E.jpeg
EAEEFFF5-CA89-43D4-BE52-D9C41CD7C4F0.jpeg
6032DA0E-7632-400B-B3D5-161A10841404.jpeg

As I’ve mentioned previously in the thread my unit replaced a Panasonic plasma and I can honestly say the blacks are equally as good.

That’s really good to hear. What size and model is your Panasonic LCD TV?

The 43HX940, that’s why I replied to the post. I previously tried both an LG and a Panny 40FS503B, both of which I found poor, particularly in off axis viewing, so I decided to spend the extra money to get the 940.

And it's all fine in a dark(ish) room? I ask because that's when the problems start to appear :laugh:

I have it in the kitchen, which has very poir natural light so the lights are on constantly, here’s a couple of SD shots with the lights off:

8F4056E7-5DAE-4B6A-92F8-7A692CF80933.jpeg
C299D51A-CA20-4026-A50A-7FFBCF23929B.jpeg

The 43HX940, that’s why I replied to the post. I previously tried both an LG and a Panny 40FS503B, both of which I found poor, particularly in off axis viewing, so I decided to spend the extra money to get the 940.

I have it in the kitchen, which has very poir natural light so the lights are on constantly, here’s a couple of SD shots with the lights off:

View attachment 1368893View attachment 1368894

Thanks again for the reply. That looks pretty decent for SD, especially as some 4K TVs can have trouble with it. I'm definitely much closer to making my mind up now. Cheers.

It took a bit of a deep breath when I changed to it due to the fact that it was over twice the price of the 503B but I’ve no regrets.

As my late Mum used to say- “it’s only expensive the day you buy it”, of course, she never had a credit card :)

What is the motion like compared to the plasma? I'm still using my old plasma as my main television

No complaints about the motion handling, I watch any football/rugby that’s free to air along with the F1 highlights on Channel 4 and quite a few repeat viewings of Drive to Survive on Netflix, all look just as good to me as when I’m viewing the same content on the GZ950 I have in the living room.

According to the Panasonic website the Panasonic TX-43HX940B is a John Lewis exclusive in the UK, but available at select retailers in the Republic of Ireland.

That’s a real shame. I much prefer to support smaller retailers. Seems a very anti-competitive approach. I’m surprised this practice is allowed.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom