NEWS: PlayStation 5 production will be limited initially

What a load of tosh. This story has been banded about to make sure it gets preorders. Sony did a similar stunt just before the PS2 slim came out. And when it was released branches of Woolies (I was a store manager at the time) were forbidden to sell more than our allotted number for the day despite having full stock cages. They encouraged staff to talk about shortages.
As shocking as that is, I think there could be a slight amount of truth to it considering what's actually hapening in the world right now!

As shocking as that is, I think there could be a slight amount of truth to it considering what's actually hapening in the world right now!
Possibly, so they are using a worldwide pandemic to bolster preorders.... in for a penny.

Nintendo have been restricting distribution for years to keep prices high. Its all good buisness.

When were they called that? I have no recollection of them being called austerity consoles. Google is struggling with the phrase too, so I doubt it was really what they were known as.

Coined by Digital Foundry at the time if memory serves. They were made with cheap laptop parts.

For the console gamers who play the likes of Call of Duty and Fifa I'm sure they would trade some graphical power in exchange for solid servers and smooth online gameplay.

That said, until an official announcement from Sony is made I'm going to take anything I read with a pinch of salt - the PS4 is doing everything I need just fine and I'll be making sure I see out it's last 6/12 months with enjoyment, rather than worrying about whether it's going to cost £499, £599 or £699 and whether it has go faster stripes or a spoiler :D

I just hope they finally get a perfectly functional dashboard. The ps4 is almost 7 and the dash is still a complete lag-fest. As an ex xbox 360 owner I am at a loss as to why this is. Clicking on the friend list can take up to ten seconds to pop up, sending a screenshot sometimes takes even longer. Often, just moving around the various tiles and folders leads to the to stuttering and even more lag. This surely has to be a thing of the past with the new machine.

It looks like Microsoft will have the most expensive and possibly the cheapest next gen machines. XSS lockheart strongly rumoured for a may reveal. If they're having to make a cheap one as well , how much is their SX going to be? £600?
For them to feel the need to launch with two machines might make Sony wait until the very last minute to reveal their price. If they are capable of pricing it closed to the lower spec ms console then that would put them in an excellent position.

PS5 is 10.3 not 9.

A 4 Tflop Xbox would be 50% less powerful than the Xbox One X, which seems very last gen. I don’t believe that rumour at all, it would be the worst strategy ever.

The Lockhart SKU is rumoured to be about 4.4tf i think from memory, but this will still be a better console in every way to the Xbox One X at 6tf. Lockhart is built on Zen 2 and RDNA 2.0 architecture which is night and day to the current gen Jaguar CPU restricted tech, hence its probabky more equivelent to about 8tf of current gen. Add the other next gen benefits, specifically the SSD, and it'll be an awesome machine in it's own right and at a much more appealing entry price point for many. Having both will allow MS to claim the power narrative with XSX and price narrative with XSS / Lockhart. Most console owners will still not have 4k TVs and for them this would make sense. Then later on when prices across the board drop or they maybe upgrade their TV then upgrade the console should they wish.

Its obviously targeted at a different market and will probably sell far more than the Series X, same as the current S far outsells the One X.

PS5 is 10.3 not 9.

A 4 Tflop Xbox would be 50% less powerful than the Xbox One X, which seems very last gen. I don’t believe that rumour at all, it would be the worst strategy ever.
I think it's capable of around 10.3 but the majority of the time its 9, depending how much it's under load etc.

Either way both consoles sound great!

I think it's capable of around 10.3 but the majority of the time its 9, depending how much it's under load etc.

Either way both consoles sound great!

This is console warrior FUD.

Cerny directly talks about this in his GDC presentation, it runs there almost constantly. Cerny seemed to suggest that you’d need a synthetic test to really load up both the CPU and GPU enough to cause them to declock for power reasons, and that it won’t show up in any normal game.

The variable frequency/boost clock thing is being wilfully misrepresented. The design is about managing the thermal budget and is nothing to do with performance.

Taken from elsewhere:

Variable clocks change frequency. PC and phones throttle frequencies based on thermals and ambient temperature, leading to downclocks in order to avoid overheating and shutdown. But as you can imagine, throttling is more likely to happen in hot environments than it is for colder ones, you can't have that happen in a console that's supposed to perform consistently no matter where you live. Instead PS5 has a set power budget, which results in the CPU and GPU having their own power budgets. Clocks change based on workloads. Some workloads consume more power than others. If the power budget is exceeded, clocks will lower on one or both processors. But I expect this downclock will be relatively small and quick. Worst case, a 10% drop in frequency to drop power consumption by 25-30%, or just 2-3% downclock to reduce power consumption by 10%. The GPU will be prioritized, so expect the CPU to downclock most of the times.

Last edited:
The Lockhart SKU is rumoured to be about 4.4tf i think from memory, but this will still be a better console in every way to the Xbox One X at 6tf. Lockhart is built on Zen 2 and RDNA 2.0 architecture which is night and day to the current gen Jaguar CPU restricted tech, hence its probabky more equivelent to about 8tf of current gen. Add the other next gen benefits, specifically the SSD, and it'll be an awesome machine in it's own right and at a much more appealing entry price point for many. Having both will allow MS to claim the power narrative with XSX and price narrative with XSS / Lockhart. Most console owners will still not have 4k TVs and for them this would make sense. Then later on when prices across the board drop or they maybe upgrade their TV then upgrade the console should they wish.

Its obviously targeted at a different market and will probably sell far more than the Series X, same as the current S far outsells the One X.

I don't think so, there's a lot of rounding up going on there. I believe 4ish RDNA2 tflops is equivalent to 6ish GCN Tflops. There may well be other benefits but based on the rumours the spec is going to be very similar to the One X, which is being discontinued.

But I still don't get it. I don't see how they can market both consoles simultaneously as "next gen". On the one hand it's all about the power, with the 12.2 Tflop Series X, but hey most people will buy the one that's 1/3 of the power of our all powerful most powerful console in the world.

I can sort of see the point of replacing the One X with a similar spec but with a console design closer in architecture to the Series X - it may even be more economical to do so - but then ultimately you're still perpetuating cross-gen in your games for a much longer period than a natural generational transition.

Microsoft really mixes up it's messaging sometimes and I don't believe this is a good strategy.

Not to mention that the XBsX 12 TFlops is only the max, 99% of the time that will also be running lower.

One analogy I saw (on the video in the PS5 thread I think) was the XBsX is like a V8 engine, all grunt. The PS5 is like a V6 turbo tuned engine, slightly lower powered but more efficient.

I'll wait until its actually announced before actually claiming what it does.

I'm not sure releasing the rumoured console is the best move though. It literally renders the previous gen useless. Also adds an extra device for devs to cater for which may mean less effort may be put into the flagship machines.

They need to bin the one s first. Then the one x should be the cheap model.

I think having too many consoles out will cause confusion.

Not to mention that the XBsX 12 TFlops is only the max, 99% of the time that will also be running lower.

One analogy I saw (on the video in the PS5 thread I think) was the XBsX is like a V8 engine, all grunt. The PS5 is like a V6 turbo tuned engine, slightly lower powered but more efficient.

Exactly, this is true of both. Most of the time neither GPU nor CPU will be fully utilised.

I'll wait until its actually announced before actually claiming what it does.

I'm not sure releasing the rumoured console is the best move though. It literally renders the previous gen useless. Also adds an extra device for devs to cater for which may mean less effort may be put into the flagship machines.

They need to bin the one s first. Then the one x should be the cheap model.

I think having too many consoles out will cause confusion.

Exactly, this has been my view ever since the first rumours of Lockhart surfaced.

I don't think so, there's a lot of rounding up going on there. I believe 4ish RDNA2 tflops is equivalent to 6ish GCN Tflops. There may well be other benefits but based on the rumours the spec is going to be very similar to the One X, which is being discontinued.

But I still don't get it. I don't see how they can market both consoles simultaneously as "next gen". On the one hand it's all about the power, with the 12.2 Tflop Series X, but hey most people will buy the one that's 1/3 of the power of our all powerful most powerful console in the world.

I can sort of see the point of replacing the One X with a similar spec but with a console design closer in architecture to the Series X - it may even be more economical to do so - but then ultimately you're still perpetuating cross-gen in your games for a much longer period than a natural generational transition.

Microsoft really mixes up it's messaging sometimes and I don't believe this is a good strategy.

It wont be similar spec to One X other than relative TF grunt. In every other way it will be far superior. It will have the next gen CPU, next gen SSD etc which are the major game changers going forward. With those on board scaling of games should be no issue and it wont hold back XSX in the way the current XB might regarding game design. It'll instead most likely be targetting 1080 or 1440p at 60fps, hence wouldnt need the additional grunt.

As you say the One X us being cleared out hence being sold so cheap everywhere as it'll become obsolete with the lockhart in the mix.

I can see many getting a bit confused with 2 options but can see it working well for MS to get users on the ecosystem to then buy the services that they make the long term money on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom