NEWS: PlayStation 5 production will be limited initially

I probably wasn't going to get one anyway, I'm an xbox gamer, but being over £500 definitely makes this a no from me. In the interest of fairness if the X is over £500 it'll be a no purchase

I was planning on buying both new consoles on release but because of current circumstances, that's just not going to happen now. Even if we weren't living through these crazy times I'm not paying £550 for a console, especially for a PS5 which will be my less-used console as I'm not a fan of the parallel thumb-sticks on Sony controllers.

Those "limited " numbers don't add up to me

Dec - March is 4 months - if they manage to produce 5m devices (which is their low estimate) in that period that's 1.25m every month .
First two quarters - ie 1st six months of production of pS4 was 7.5 million in 2 additional months.....so ps5 going for the 1st two quarters is …..7.5 million (ie the 5m in the 1st four months mentioned in the article + the 2.5 million in the remaining two months).

Not sure I see where these limited numbers are - they are right on schedule for the same amount in the same period as the PS4 had back in the day

Either way - I wouldn't be surprised if it was even lower than their low estimate given the current situation, I would be very surprised if it wasn't in limited supply for quite a while.

I think they would be making a major mistake if they release over here for over £500 but it does depend if MS come out before or after Sony during the same holiday period, as it sounds like MS are going to be just as expensive if not more so. This is going off the pretty standard $1 to £1 conversion rate these things usually are at the start when in actual fact $550 should really be £440 here which I think most would consider a (relative) bargain if the tech does give the supposed performance gains.

I am happy to see people not wanting to buy the new consoles if priced at £500 as it increases my chances of getting them at launch. :smashin:

By the way, how are your £1000 "smart" phones? :rotfl:

Unless the games are more than just eye candy I cant wait. Given the year we are having, i can wait.

I am happy to see people not wanting to buy the new consoles if priced at £500 as it increases my chances of getting them at launch. :smashin:

By the way, how are your £1000 "smart" phones? :rotfl:
Crazy isn't it, I've been paying £28 a month for my Note9 direct from Samsung, will be paid off Sep/Oct. I look at it now and I can't see how it was worth it. I basically use it for browsing the web, staying in touch with people and taking pics/videos. Basically things that could be done with a phone half the price I've paid!

I'm expecting the Series X to be £499-£549.

PS5 £449.

I'll be picking up the X launch day, the potential cost vs spec is definitely worth it, and by all acounts the PS5 will be as well!

This sounds like a way of ramping up demand at launch date, limiting the number of units so it becomes a "must have" product pretty much like when a new iphone is released. Out of stock in shops for a few weeks & people think they are missing out so pre order the next batch or paying over the odds on fleabay

I hope it doesn’t look anything like those ugly dev kits, I’ve seen some recent pics of how it may look and it’s quite good looking

I paid around the same price for a US 60GB PS3 back in December 2006 and never regretted it.
However, given the economic uncertainty at the moment I don't think that I will be picking up a PS5 on launch day at the prices quoted. There are still some absolutely fantastic games for the current gen and remasters of old classics which I've yet to play.

I remember back in the day when the PS2 Slim was coming out and they became like gold dust, that was just for a console refresh, There was a similar situation with the PS4 around launch period over here back in 2013 when it was over £600 on eBay.

I preordered a PS4 about 2 months before launch from Grainger Games and managed to get it on launch day. I was initially told I'd missed out due to preorders. Playing BF4 online with up to 64 players on a console was just amazing (despite the various software issues at launch)

Amazon pre order as soon as it available regardless of price or games for me

Amazon pre order as soon as it available regardless of price or games for me
Same, albeit the big X for me!! Prob get a PS5 the year after. Great time to be a console gamer :thumbsup:

It could cost 1k and still fly off the shelves. The console market has a large market share of middle earners with a gaming addiction. It's the same reason 1k+ phones are now a thing and GPUs for similar figures.

I think psychologically being over £500 will put a lot of people off. £499 is probably the sweet spot.

I got the original launch edition of the Xbox One and then One X. Not quite so sure I’ll get the Series X at launch - my understanding is that at least initially, games will work on the Series X and One generations, which might make me wait for the first price cuts because making the jump.

I'm a huge Sony Playstation fan and have owned all the consoles and handhelds. I fear the worst for Sony with this new console- too expensive especially in the middle of a global recession. On top of that, I just cannot see the point in forking out so much money on the PS5 when all it is offering is a slight bump in graphics? The PS4 Pro connected to my 4K tv is already good enough. Couldn't give a damn about any 3D audio gimmick. I was excited about possibly being able to play all my old PS1, PS2 and PS3 on this but looks like that's not happening...and with the high price...I'm sorry Sony, but I see this console being a major flop. We need more great games...not another piece of overpriced hardware.

Too many addicts out there for for the big 2 to flop. People will whine and complain etc etc but they'll still buy it no matter what.

Why couldn't that have been posted in the PS5 thread? It's going to end up like the TV and streaming threads with about 7 threads discussing Disney+, it's ridiculous over there.

And wow, can't belive dubs post, ridiculous.

It's all speculation!

A stupid iphone costs about £1200, I know what I'd rather buy.

I'm a huge Sony Playstation fan and have owned all the consoles and handhelds. I fear the worst for Sony with this new console- too expensive especially in the middle of a global recession. On top of that, I just cannot see the point in forking out so much money on the PS5 when all it is offering is a slight bump in graphics? The PS4 Pro connected to my 4K tv is already good enough. Couldn't give a damn about any 3D audio gimmick. I was excited about possibly being able to play all my old PS1, PS2 and PS3 on this but looks like that's not happening...and with the high price...I'm sorry Sony, but I see this console being a major flop. We need more great games...not another piece of overpriced hardware.
Sony haven't said the price yet. The whole article is just speculation.

As a big Sony fan though perhaps you should spend a bit of time actually looking into some of the stuff its going to be able to do. There's more then just a slight bump in graphics.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom