NEWS: Playstation 5 will launch with 4K disc support during 'Holiday Season' 2020

I'm normally a day 1 guy but will hold fire for first must have game
Ridge Racer 8 would get me pre ordering lol

I'm normally a day 1 guy but will hold fire for first must have game
Ridge Racer 8 would get me pre ordering lol

Same, I am in no rush for this. I am swayed by the native 4K disc player though. I would love it if there was the possibility to make it multi region like their games though.

No big surprise it would launch around the usual Sony launch period ie November it gives time to save up for it.

No mention of two Models ie one being a Pro version like some rumors were suggesting, I wouldn't see Sony doing that for Launch 3 years later maybe.

The new Controller sounds interesting I like the sound of much better feedback on the triggers etc.

100GB blu-rays no surprise there seeing a number of games break the 100GB mark when installed, plus 4k UHD player which should have been in the Pro so at least they have seen sense here.

The new UI I will hold judgment until they show it, but it certainly sounds different.

I'm liking that you can choose what part of a game to install as someone that isn't big on multi-player stuff all that much to be able to just install the Single player is a neat idea, for sure saves space which I 'm guessing is the reason sony is doing this SDD drives are not that cheap I'm guessing it will be 1TB which isn't much these days hopefully it will be 2TB,

No mention of Specs other than what is known already or a price, of course, Sony would save that for E3 or their own event depending on what they choose to do.

So far I like what I'm hearing, just need to wait for the actual reveal of the PS5.

Same, I am in no rush for this. I am swayed by the native 4K disc player though. I would love it if there was the possibility to make it multi region like their games though.

4k blu-ray movies are not region encoded, that may change it may not but so far to date, they are all region free.

It was dumb of Sony not to include one in the PlayStation PS4 Pro

Last edited:
Great. Will be a nice boost for the format. :clap:

Good news. While not a big gamer I am a big fan of physical media and if Sony had gone the other way and left out a drive the PS5 would have been seen as another nail in the coffin of physical media. There's interesting coverage on Forbes website that ends: "... I’d much rather find myself waiting for details on exactly what features the PS5’s 4K Blu-ray player will support than waiting for confirmation of whether the PS5 will carry a 4K Blu-ray player at all. So for now, at least - well done Sony!" Echo that.

I'm expecting £499 so that's my saving goal. £40/£45 a month should be enough.

It won't be as high as that Sony already said it will be cost-friendly despite the tech in it, rumors are guessing at £350 min- £450 max, I would go with that.

It won't be as high as that Sony already said it will be cost-friendly despite the tech in it, rumors are guessing at £350 min- £450 max, I would go with that.

Cost-friendly according to who though...? :rotfl:

The "justification" for the price could be along the lines of "If you have this sort of kit inside a PC it'd cost you £1000* so the PS5 is really cheap in comparison!".

* made up number

Decent launch titles will sway me, sony need something big as a new halo game will be launching with the new xbox, i have much preferred the ps4 this gen over xbox, mainly due to games and ui, so im hoping the new ui works just as good, as the xbox 360 was great but the xbox one terrible, i have owned 5 xbox ones this gen and currently have an xbox one x, and each one has been infuriating at times with lag etc.
New controller sounds good too.

Did I miss it or was there any news of the new console being backward compatible with PS4, PS3, PS2 or even PS1 games? That would be incredible!!...

Day one for me as they all have been!

Day one for me too

Didn't affect the PS4 totally trouncing the XB1 and reaching 100m sales though did it!
I imagine most of these sales were well before xbox one put a 4k blu ray drive in their console though, and once you're locked into an infastructure and spent a substantial amount on digital titles you're unlikely to swap consoles, i too thought it was a big oversight on sonys part

I hope it launches with Gran Turismo 8 it needs a good racer at launch,imagine how good that is going to look :eek:

I hope it launches with Gran Turismo 8 it needs a good racer at launch,imagine how good that is going to look :eek:

Let’s get number 7 out the door first (appreciate it’s a typo) ;) but completely agree, it’s going to look stunning !
While there will be no mention of it until after launch, I will be investing in VR2 if it is wireless.

Still using my old PS3 as the kids main game console. But was maybe thinking of an upgrade to a PS4 this Christmas - but if that’s going to be made redundant 12m later maybe I skip the 4 and go straight to 5?
Would be good to know if the 5 is backwards compatible to play 4 titles - in which case it’s a no brainier.

Then again I imagine the price of the 4 will come down in price again now making it a tempting buy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom