NEWS: Playstation 5 will launch with 4K disc support during 'Holiday Season' 2020

Backwards compatible with PS4 games. But will it be HDMI 2.1? This could make it even more exciting for disc fans. My PS3 may not have sounded every bit as good as my OPPO player but it was waaay more reliable. The PS5 may be the goto disc player.

It will be hdmi2.1, if not it’s a very odd decision for a hardware company wanting a console to last 4-7 years.
If the X already supports many 2.1 features, you can bet scarlet will be full 2.1 implementation too.

I hope it launches with Gran Turismo 8 it needs a good racer at launch,imagine how good that is going to look :eek:
I'll bet my last pound it won't be a launch title. IMO GT has had it's day. But what GT needs is decent sound. I think they have used the same tyre screeching samples since GT3.

Didn't affect the PS4 totally trouncing the XB1 and reaching 100m sales though did it!
You are referring to sales of the PS4, all of them.

The Pro was released in 2016. Three years after the PS4 launched and could have come with a UHD drive. It didn't as Sony's wasn't ready at the time and they didn't want to go to a third party.

Sony said with the launch of the pro the future was downloads anyway.

Then they launched a UHD player.

It will be hdmi2.1, if not it’s a very odd decision for a hardware company wanting a console to last 4-7 years.
If the X already supports many 2.1 features, you can bet scarlet will be full 2.1 implementation too.

A lot of high-priced equipment is being launched soon, presumably intended to be used for years, and none of it is hdmi 2.1. I'm just a little concerned.

The Pro and no UHD.

"Sony's preference for its own components appears to have backfired when it comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray. The simple truth is that the company's own drive simply isn't ready."

People prefer to have one box that does everything under their TV.

Cant wait. Glad its got a 4k player, been holding off getting a dedicated player.

Hopefully it looks far better than the developer kit, that is fugly.

what would get me to stump up day 1 would be a new Horizon Zero Dawn game and GTA 6, or Spiderman or Go of War game, one can dream 🤤

I'll bet my last pound it won't be a launch title. IMO GT has had it's day. But what GT needs is decent sound. I think they have used the same tyre screeching samples since GT3.

They hired an ex forza engineer in 2015 if i remember and i am sure the sound of the cars improved in gt sport so there is hope to do better in the next GT title. i agree tire sounds were not great.

what would get me to stump up day 1 would be a new Horizon Zero Dawn game and GTA 6, or Spiderman or Go of War game, one can dream 🤤

No doubt Spiderman will be a day one release as they have been using this title to show off what the PS5 can do streaming and loading wise.

No doubt Spiderman will be a day one release as they have been using this title to show off what the PS5 can do streaming and loading wise.

Nope. They we're just running the game on a ps5 devkit to show how well the SSD performs.

Nope. They we're just running the game on a ps5 devkit to show how well the SSD performs.

I know that but the a game will come and spiderman will be one of them.

Safe to say that X, Triangle, Square and Circle will all be part of the controller for the PS5.

As well as Start and Select.

Safe to say that X, Triangle, Square and Circle will all be part of the controller for the PS5.

As well as Start and Select.
Not sure on start and select. Seeing as they aren't there now.

Better start saving then.
I know a dude that repairs playstations as a living. He tells me the biggest weakness in these consoles is the disc laser. Folks use these consoles as primary disc players for media and eventually the laser burns out...
He says, replacing lasers is his no.1 income and about 75% of all jobs.

Last edited:
Better start saving then.
I know a dude that repairs playstations as a living. He tells me the biggest weakness in these consoles is the disc laser. Folks use has players and eventually the laser burns out...
Thankfully i'm all digital!

Thankfully i'm all digital!
I am part digital and part disc. I don't mind disc but would I buy a PS5 to play 4k discs, not really.
Never used the PS4 as a media player apart from gaming.
Streaming is the way forward but then that would depend on home network and the bandwidth also.

And there was me yesterday thinking of buying the original XBOX console again... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

And there was me yesterday thinking of buying the original XBOX console again... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I'm still looking at ps3s and Xbox 360s at the moment 😂

A stupid request from me, but if they aren't doing native backwards compatibility like on the PS4 I'd like to see PS4 and 5 both do remote play to and from each other. This would mean I could move the PS4 upstairs and then play both consoles games on both TVs. As remote play is still a function they are updating in the PS4 I don't see it going away on the 5 and it's a good way to offer a stadia style experience without a subscription or server suplied by Sony.

A stupid request from me, but if they aren't doing native backwards compatibility like on the PS4 I'd like to see PS4 and 5 both do remote play to and from each other. This would mean I could move the PS4 upstairs and then play both consoles games on both TVs. As remote play is still a function they are updating in the PS4 I don't see it going away on the 5 and it's a good way to offer a stadia style experience without a subscription or server suplied by Sony.

I thought the PS5 was going to be backwards compatible no...?

I am part digital and part disc. I don't mind disc but would I buy a PS5 to play 4k discs, not really.
Never used the PS4 as a media player apart from gaming.
Streaming is the way forward but then that would depend on home network and the bandwidth also.

I think this is where I'm at. Had the One S for 4K when that first came out but then shifted that off for a standalone player. I think I'd trust Sony to do a better job with it's player offering than Microsoft. And it would be one less device under the TV.

Games wise I'd be digital only.

I recently completed a survey regarding next gen consoles and there were a lot of questions about 'game lending'. I.e. if you have a game downloaded, you can lend it to a mate to play for a specified time. Only downside is, you wouldn't be able to play it.

I thought PS5 was confirmed backwards compatible?

I still play GTAV on the stone age PS3 (still free online) and let me say that as a streamer it is amazing (sky go app) works beautifully (no bandwidth dropouts)

Backwards compatibility is always a sticky subject with giants like Sony and Microsoft. They want to make money, simply and backwards compatibility works both ways.
One, folks can simply buy the new upcoming console and play the same discs or have to buy both just because the new game version gives you 1st person experience or some other update.
We have heard it all before when it comes to backwards, they eventually pull the plug on it too often, so I would take that as a pinch of salt.

I was looking at the Stadia set up yesterday and was hoping it would be the *Netflix for Gamers* myself and son looked into it and then found the flaws in the set up. We were hoping to pay a monthly fee and play what you like (of course ,you fork out for the controller but that's no biggie) so expected a Netflix type of experience, less frills and stream, play and enjoy... basically less hassle.
The flaw came when you have purchase games, chromecast and of course the controller and the subscription (Yeah, makes PS3 look like king, less complicated)

Think the market is missing a huge trick here that can be filled by someone......
They need to look at what Netflix does, how it works on so many platforms, easy to set up, stream and watch and bring that to those that want to game.
Log in, pick the game, stream and play all for a monthly fee. The purchase of a game must be optional. We want to play but don't want the hassle, well I don't anyway that's why PS3 works for me.
:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom