NEWS: Samsung and LG squabble over QLED definition

I'm with LG.
Samsung have been talking the P*SS with the QLED name ever since the first sets arrived..:facepalm:

Well qled is just a trademark what samsung bought, so samsung can call their fridge freezers qled. LG displays know their oleds aren't selling as well and the chinese are stealing a march on cheap lcds and lg knows samsung qd oled is all but ready. Lg has the cheek complaining about samsung where its own current oleds are still white colour filters. Not to mention LGS ips panels are using white subpixels. Both hate each other and both are at war.

Last edited:
What's more interesting LG displays is working with nanosys on QDs, so when its ready i wonder if lg will call them true qled. Lol

How about QLCDLED? Rolls of the tongue.

Well qled is just a trademark what samsung bought, so samsung can call their fridge freezers qled. LG displays know their oleds aren't selling as well and the chinese are stealing a march on cheap lcds and lg knows samsung qd oled is all but ready. Lg has the cheek complaining about samsung where its own current oleds are still white colour filters. Not to mention LGS ips panels are using white subpixels. Both hate each other and both are at war.

It was actually LG who trademarked the QLED name but it was ruled that anybody could use it as it was deemed a generic term.

Everybody knows it is all smoke and mirrors with Samsung and they are simply trying to get as close to sounding like OLED as they can whilst masquerading as some sort of new technology.

Incidentally when are the new Samsung QD OLED's going to be rolled out?? I expect a prototype to be shown at CES but imho you are probably looking at 2021 before they actually release a retail unit.

I'm with LG.
Samsung have been talking the P*SS with the QLED name ever since the first sets arrived..:facepalm:

Since QLED? Pft they've been taking the wee wee since LED lit LCD TV's and they have a court ruing to prove it.
How about QLCDLED? Rolls of the tongue.

Sshhhhh Dont Samsung ideas.

It was actually LG who trademarked the QLED name but it was ruled that anybody could use it as it was deemed a generic term.

Everybody knows it is all smoke and mirrors with Samsung and they are simply trying to get as close to sounding like OLED as they can whilst masquerading as some sort of new technology.

Incidentally when are the new Samsung QD OLED's going to be rolled out?? I expect a prototype to be shown at CES but imho you are probably looking at 2021 before they actually release a retail unit.
Well as far as i knows samsung bought the trademark off some company and it wasn't lg. Il try dig it out. Im not sticking up for samsung but lg has put the burn in issues under the carpet in the past. Owners have even taking court action. Sorry but good on samsung for using the term qled, its business as they say. As for a prototype one was shown behind close doors at ces. But il be shocked if the public don't see one in the new year

Well as far as i knows samsung bought the trademark off some company and it wasn't lg. Il try dig it out. Im not sticking up for samsung but lg has put the burn in issues under the carpet in the past. Owners have even taking court action. Sorry but good on samsung for using the term qled, its business as they say. As for a prototype one was shown behind close doors at ces. But il be shocked if the public don't see one in the new year

It's business but not when you try and pull the wool over your customers eyes by giving them nothing new whilst pretending it is a new tech. This will all come back to bite them in the arse in the long term.

Hisense tcl one plus are a few who are using the term qled. But you are right it might come back to bite them once the true qled is out lol

Samsung behaving like loud mouth bullies, sprouting sales figures as a cover for dodgy marketing practices.

It doesn't prove they're right, it proves they've successfully hoodwinked millions of customers.

I'm firmly on LG's side with this.

LG: "You're lying to customers with false advertising!"
Samsung: "But we sold more TVs than you."

That's... One way of forming a rebuttal, I suppose?

In responding, Samsung reiterated its total sales figures of 5.4 million QLED sales since 2017 and their expected growth of 92 percent for 2019 over 2018 compared to LG’s sales growth of 15 percent from 2018 to 2019.

So Samsung's defence is based upon it's own false advertising boosting its own sales?

LG Oled TV and Samsung QLED TV Structure and Quality Comparison Key is backlight

Shocking response and business practices from Samsung... And its the enthusiasts who should worry! We are the guys who want the best - most other people are just happy being told they're getting the best even if that's a load of tosh... And I don't want tosh... I want value and quality - if Samsung can keep getting away with this I worry that we'll continue to pay through the nose due to artificial economies of scale.

I'm not sure to the vast majority of people this makes any difference. They just buy tv's and haven't got a clue what a lot of the tech is.

How I look at it is Samsung QLED is just a name of their higher end products not the actual technology.

Lets not forget the watts output arms race of stereos of the late 80' and 90's. The amazing power outputs manufacturers were putting on cheap music systems was just fiction. Only the demise of the music system and boom box by home users has brought it back into some form of reality.

This is the same LG that markets LED backlit TVs and monitors as LED TVs/monitors; also a misleading term

If meaning that refering to them as LED is confusiing because they are also sometimes refered to as LCD then there is no confusion because all LED TVs are LCD. They are the one and the same thing and either term is correct. The issue with Samsung is that they are inferring things as being something they are not.

All LED TV's use a liquid crystal display (LCD).

LED and LCD: Together forever
Despite having a different acronym, an LED TV is just a specific type of LCD TV. The proper name would actually be “LED-backlit LCD TV,” but that’s too much of a mouthful for everyday conversation, so people generally just refer to them as LED TVs.

An LED TV uses a liquid crystal display (LCD) panel to control where light is displayed on your screen. These panels are typically composed of two sheets of polarizing material with a liquid crystal solution between them. When an electric current passes through the liquid, it causes the crystals to align so that light can (or can’t) pass through. Think of each crystal as a shutter, either allowing light to pass through or blocking it out.

Since both LED and LCD TVs are based around LCD technology, you’re probably wondering what the difference is. Actually, it’s about what the difference was. Older LCD TVs used cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFLs)to provide backlighting, whereas LED-backlit LCD TVs used an array of smaller, more efficient light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the screen. As the technology is better, all LCD TVs now use LED lights and are colloquially considered LED TVs. For those interested, we’ll go deeper into backlighting below, or you can move onto the Local Dimming section.

What they are all guilty of is being truthful about the true bit depth of LED panels employed on their TVs and their use of FRC.

Last edited:
If meaning that refering to them as LED is confusiing because they are also sometimes refered to as LCD then there is no confusion because all LED TVs are LCD. They are the one and the same thing and either term is correct. The issue with Samsung is that they are inferring things that are not actually the case.

All LED TV's use a liquid crystal display (LCD).

I understand, but my point is that it’s still misleading, and that almost all TV manufacturers have used misleading terms in the past, LG included.

This is the same LG that markets LED backlit TVs and monitors as LED TVs/monitors; also a misleading term

When the first adverts for "LED" TV's went out (not sure if it was a Samsung or DSG advert), there were complaints to the ASA who upheld the complaint and said that future adverts must say "LCD/LED" or LED Backlit LCD etc

A couple of years later, a similar complaint was made to the ASA who then decided that enough time had passed and that most people now knew what an "LED" TV was - therefore it was not upheld.

I remember reading it at the time but cannot find it on the ASA website now.

Hold on though. If a TV manufacturer decided to name their TV 'TX 42 Big Smelly Fart' what would you say then. Oh that is not is not right?

It is just a name the spec tells the truth.

There was once a Ford Fiesta call the SuperSport. Was that wrong? In reality it was a 1.3 fiesta with stickers and alloys on. The spec told the truth.

Now if the spec doesn't tell the truth that is a different matter.

Hold on though. If a TV manufacturer decided to name their TV 'TX 42 Big Smelly Fart' what would you say then. Oh that is not is not right?

It is just a name the spec tells the truth.

There was once a Ford Fiesta call the SuperSport. Was that wrong? In reality it was a 1.3 fiesta with stickers and alloys on. The spec told the truth.

Now if the spec doesn't tell the truth that is a different matter.

But if that fiesta was a 1.3 N/A petrol, but was sold as Ford Fiesta 2.0 BiTurboo Dieesel - that's what is misleading. The naming doesn't need to be technically incorrect. It is sufficient if it can be misunderstood - and the QLED term is wrong on so many levels...

Firstly, it is made to look like OLED. QLED vs OLED - 95% of buyers won't notice. What's more, QLED might imply that it uses Quantum Dot LEDs. It doesn't.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom