NEWS: Sky announces original content lineup for 2020

"Cobra, the high-stakes political drama, starring Robert Carlyle and Victoria Hamilton returns for a second series after becoming one of Sky One’s most successful drama series in recent years, with a launch audience of 2.2m."

This appears to be the benchmark and that is worrying. Cobra was just watchable and only just and seemed to be a poor transatlantic cousin of Designated Survivor.

I will not be holding my breath for the Original Content

I agree that Cobra was entertaining but not special, and nowhere near as good as Designated Survivor.

Mind you Chernobyl was one of the best programs I have ever watched.

This is very interesting but make no mistake - this atypical / recent penchant for Sky announcements is because they will lose masses of content to Disney when Disney+ launches next month eg Disney animation, Pixar, Disney Channels, Star Wars etc and are trying to avoid addressing the issue of whether a fee reduction would be inappropriate.

This is very interesting but make no mistake - this atypical / recent penchant for Sky announcements is because they will lose masses of content to Disney when Disney+ launches next month eg Disney animation, Pixar, Disney Channels, Star Wars etc and are trying to avoid addressing the issue of whether a fee reduction would be inappropriate.
No one knows what Sky may lose when Disney+ launches - it's quite likely Disney+ won't have the same content as the US. Several reports that the Simpsons may not be on that service, for example.
Toy Story 4 has just premiered on Sky Cinema, so is likely to be on that service for a while. They're also including the new Aladdin and Lion King in the Sky adverts, so it seems likely Disney content will be on that platform too (for a while anyway).

I sincerely hope that some things will remain and indeed it seems likely that you will be able to access Disney+ through the Sky platform like you can Netflix. Disney+ launch was delayed in the UK because of contractural obligations with Sky which included some recent releases up to The Lion King.

I am just highlighting that there have been a lot of announcements by Sky around their new, impressive looking line up of content, but this should be seen, fee wise in the context of a concomitant loss of a large amount of existing and very popular content which understandably does not feature in these announcements.

No one knows what Sky may lose when Disney+ launches - it's quite likely Disney+ won't have the same content as the US. Several reports that the Simpsons may not be on that service, for example.
Toy Story 4 has just premiered on Sky Cinema, so is likely to be on that service for a while. They're also including the new Aladdin and Lion King in the Sky adverts, so it seems likely Disney content will be on that platform too (for a while anyway).
I believe their current contract ends some time this year. VERY unlikely that Disney will sell their content to Sky after it ends. Likely they will sign a carriage deal for D+ to be on Sky Q ala Netflix.

HBO/Warner content etc will continue to be on Sky as they recently announced a new deal - Sky extends partnership with WarnerMedia

I believe their current contract ends some time this year. VERY unlikely that Disney will sell their content to Sky after it ends. Likely they will sign a carriage deal for D+ to be on Sky Q ala Netflix.

HBO/Warner content etc will continue to be on Sky as they recently announced a new deal - Sky extends partnership with WarnerMedia

I'd say there's at least a year to run on the current Disney deal and that quite a lot of content will remain with Sky after that - The Simpsons officially won't be available to watch on Disney+

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom