NEWS: Sky HDR launch rumoured for 27th of May

Got round to trying the HDR programmes in Sky Q yesterday. Watching on my AF9 I didn’t get the HDR message some people report When yiu hit play. But going into the setup menus on the AF9 I could see the HDR indicator coming and going as I changed what I was watching.
Have to admit I was very impressed by the picture quality and look forward to more becoming available. Even my wife and daughter commented in how much better the pictures looked than normal, and they really aren’t all that into picture quality etc.

It’s certainly the best picture quality Sky have ever provided. Sports and movies will look stunning

All the more reason they need to get the box swap for those of us with V1 boxes, sooner rather than later.

I certainly won't be happy if I can't take full advantage when sports and movies start.

All the more reason they need to get the box swap for those of us with V1 boxes, sooner rather than later.

I certainly won't be happy if I can't take full advantage when sports and movies start.
Cinema is Xmas sports is next year for HDR so there's plenty of time for you to be sorted with a new box

I was told HDR for sports this year ? Or is that on download only

When buying tech you are absolutely correct.

Sky Q however is a rental model, the box is provided as part of the monthly fee. It should therefore be updated to offer the most current level of service, in this case HDR.
Sky q isn't a rental model the box is loaned to you at no cost. Rental you would pay towards the box

Don’t they charge extra for the Q service? I’d always assumed that part of that was the rental for the box.

If they are only lending it to you, surely they wouldn’t repair or replace them when they went wrong for free?

Don’t they charge extra for the Q service? I’d always assumed that part of that was the rental for the box.

If they are only lending it to you, surely they wouldn’t repair or replace them when they went wrong for free?
That's what the contract says they are loaning the equipment and whilst your paying for the service they will replace or repair

The service and box provision are inseparable. The box is essential to receive the service and if subscription lapses the boxes are returnable.

It’s certainly the best picture quality Sky have ever provided. Sports and movies will look stunning
Suspect the bit rate on downloads is way higher than live programming, since it's not using satellite bandwidth.

Suspect the bit rate on downloads is way higher than live programming, since it's not using satellite bandwidth.
It is the other way round. Material encoded for download uses non real-time compression and so can achieve a greater degree of compression for the same picture quality. it can look forward and back in the frame sequence to decide the optimum compression to use. Live broadcasting, play out or studio, has to use real-time compression and so cant achieve the same degree of compression.

Ease/laziness :) I do have access to Netflix tv app and use it most of the time as I tend to watch more HDR content.
But when in Sky, as it includes Netflix content it would be easier to simply select from the Sky guide while already in there. Having it, Disney+ and sky all within same application is handy, it’s just currently unusable if you want HDR.
From an SDR perspective it’s great, my mini box is connected to an old plasma, so having the stream options via the mini is handy.

I will be looking out for frame skipping issues, that’s why I stopped using ATV and went back to TVs inbuilt app, the Netflix 24P frame skipping made for extremely frustrating viewing
The frame skipping issue was finally fixed in the latest ATV firmware update. Myself and others have not noticed any frame drops on content that was known for it.

I have now got my Sky Q 1tb UHD all set up, wow what a difference over HD, and with HDR its another level.

Had my V1 2TB box replaced yesterday with a V3 and can report the Gangs of Lemur is very good indeed... oh and the HLG/HDR looks good as well on my LG OLED 😉

One thing that may be worth of note is that the box would not connect to my Sky Hub (V2) so the engineer switched it for the new broadband hub as apparently there have been ‘handshake’ issues with the V3 Q boxes and older routers 🤔

TBH I have not seen that documented before so thought I would give switchers the heads up as this may also delay other HDR programming!

20200526_194432.jpg

I started to get handshake issues with my old box, despite attempting to connect directly to my screen. I can confirm that my V1 was replaced with a V3 👍

So for how long you guys are going to watch documentaries in HDR :)? You do realise that you can find many of them in YouTube at much higher bit rates?

View attachment 1312389

I started to get handshake issues with my old box, despite attempting to connect directly to my screen. I can confirm that my V1 was replaced with a V3 👍

The sky engineer could not get the V3 box to connect to my broadband at all & tbh I figured it was a dodgy box until he mentioned the router issues.... defo worth a call to sky if using the older router 👍

So for how long you guys are going to watch documentaries in HDR :)? You do realise that you can find many of them in YouTube at much higher bit rates?
LoL! It’s not really about the documentaries though.... it’s about future programming.... whenever that happens!!!!

Whilst HDR looks stunning on Sky, content is lacking at the minute, so for those with incompatible boxes there is no rush. But still movies and sport are going to look stunning, hopefully without having to pay more..

View attachment 1312389

Have you had any more handshake issues mate after changing to the V3 box? I also got this screen but only on the odd occasion. I too now have the V3 box

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom