NEWS: Sky Q updates smart features and adds Disney Plus in HDR

Is Disney + gonna be in 4k too
I guess the HDR for Disney +update is gonna be HLG so my box is not compatable ?

Last edited:
My box is no different ? I'm running a manual update and its taking forever ?
Also is Disney + gonna be in 4k too
I guess the HDR for Disney +update is gonna be HLG so my box is not compatable ?

Good question, will it be 1080p HDR or 4k HDR, Sky hasn't really been forthcoming on what type.

And early Sky boxes won't work with HDR. Sky will, apparently, be offering upgrades (for ££) to the really early adopters.

Anyone managed to get the update by running a manual upgrade? I only had Sky Q installed last December and the 2tb box they gave me doesn’t support HDR.

From the press release:

Rolling out over the next few weeks, these changes will bring together TV and apps more seamlessly than ever before, meaning even more entertainment from Sky TV, Netflix, YouTube, BBC, Spotify and others will be found side-by-side on the big screen in your home.

I tried to manually update but just installed the previous software.

Queue a load of people not reading this article properly and then complaining to sky that their box won’t update 😂

My TV plays Disney+ in Dolby Vision and Atmos, oh but wait, I can't get HDR on my V1 sky box anyhow. Aw darn, gutted :facepalm: I'm not.

I hope the HDR isn't HLG as my JBL 9.1 doesn't pass this through. I'd rather have Atmos though as my TV isn't good enough with HDR.

I tried to manually update but just installed the previous software.

You can't manually update the box to this version as it's pushed to the box and not in the download stream, you will get it when sky update your box.

If your box is one of the early ones like mine and does not support HLG (I signed up to Sky Q in the first week of launch), then Sky wants you to pay £50 to get the updated box.

This cost is for what they call a "self set-up!!" Why do you have to pay them to set it up yourself?! So even though I had to pay a set up fee for my original box I now have to pay again to be able to plug it in myself?! What the hell....!?!?

Don't agree with it, but it's Sky, never miss an opportunity to get a bit more money out of you :)

They justify it by saying it covers admin and the cost of posting out the new box and returning the old ones.

At lot of V1 boxes seem to be developing faults of late, so maybe yours will too... :D

it’s unlikely this will be hlg, no way Disney will re-encode all their content just for sky, they don’t even bother carrying a 4K sdr stream.

I think it will be hdr10, as will Netflix when hdr Support for that eventually arrives.

The V6 outputs both hlg and hdr10 so I can’t see why would be a problem for the non v1 boxes

V6 is Virgin Media.

Yes correct, there just seems to be some suggestion that because sky are using HLG for their own on demand material and live broadcasts that it will be HLG for everything. I was just pointing out that a competitors box handles both, my enigma 2 sat receiver from 2016 can also handle both, so I cannot see why the newer Q boxes cannot as they have all the required prerequisite‘s such as appropriate hdmi port, codec support and bit depth output

So my skyQ box has updated to the new epg and no Disney+ 4k for me. Take it its because I have a V1 box? Ah well will just watch it through my Shield Tv Pro in Dolby Vision and Atmos

Our box updated last night and have to say i don't like the new menus. The sports section has lost it's Ultra HD tab on the left so you now have to go over to the main section then keep tabbing down for quite a while to get to the UltraHD sports content.

I personally set recordings for programs in case there are any issues and then download the UltraHD versions to actually watch. I also sometimes set a first program to record so as not to forget about it then will download the rest straight away. The Mrs recorded the first couple of episodes of Mrs America last night and i've come to download the rest of the series for her just now and there's no way to select what quality it downloads programs as..... It is just downloading the rest of the series in SD. (Confirmed by the time taken to download an episode plus the size of each episode). Where as the old menu had the option to select from all versions.

Then lastly Sky are bigging up how the menu now fills the whole screen rather than having the menu bar along the left...... Now to me the best thing on the menu to make the most of this new feature would be the TV guide and it bewing able to pretty much fill the screen....... Well guess what DOESN'T make use of the new widescreen menu???? Yp you guessed it the TV guid is still squashed up on one side of the screen

Sorry but the new menu is a big step back as it is. Things that only took a couple of button presses previously now take two and three times more button presses at least.

Poor, poor show Sky. :facepalm:

Any news on when Disney + integration will happen? Not just the app through the box.

I personally set recordings for programs in case there are any issues and then download the UltraHD versions to actually watch. I also sometimes set a first program to record so as not to forget about it then will download the rest straight away. The Mrs recorded the first couple of episodes of Mrs America last night and i've come to download the rest of the series for her just now and there's no way to select what quality it downloads programs as..... It is just downloading the rest of the series in SD. (Confirmed by the time taken to download an episode plus the size of each episode). Where as the old menu had the option to select from all versions

Doesn't Settings/Audio visual/Preferences/“On demand default download format” UHD take care of that?

There is one caveat with the Disney+ 4K HDR support, and I assume will be the same with the Netflix app when it is updated to support HDR.

You must have a TV that supports HLG otherwise you won't get HDR with the app. Apparently the Q box has to check the TV supports HLG to enable HDR10 output.

Any news on when Disney + integration will happen? Not just the app through the box.
Think it’s happened already. Clicked on mine last night and it said to join Disney + through sky but I already have an account

There is one caveat with the Disney+ 4K HDR support, and I assume will be the same with the Netflix app when it is updated to support HDR.

You must have a TV that supports HLG otherwise you won't get HDR with the app. Apparently the Q box has to check the TV supports HLG to enable HDR10 output.
I'm not sure of the detail, but I think the HDMI cable passes a signal about what the TV supports. It's all seamless as long as all the hardware in the chain supports HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom