NEWS: Sky upgrade to HDR compatible box to cost £50

My box works but have not watched any programmes properly yet. When I downloaded the Meerkat series in 4K ,as soon as I pressed play the 3.5 year old LG TV I have indicated top right as being HDR/HLG. Will watch in detail later but the pix looked good.

Has anyone had any response from the Register for Upgrade (for £50) yet?

I have just done it and says they will contact me but no idea when..... I am getting sound dropouts on my old v1 box and after calling Sky, I got nowhere - went thru all the steps but they say they cannot diagnose any fault (eventhough I am telling them there are random sound drops!) and they will not send out new box/cannot send engineer due to COVID, etc, etc. Aaargh :facepalm:

Sky need to start looking after the customers who can't get sky Q due to living in flats and stuff as using the old sky HD box is not the one especially as I had a sky Q box before I moved. Sucks big time.
Back on topic, £50 for a upgrade to something you don't own...Typical sky that.

Stumbled on a you tube channel with a good selection of YouTube’s HDR context all on one place. Hope it works

save it to your library and you can watch ion YouTube tv app from the library there.

I’d be interested to see what HDR capable box owners think of the footage on these demos v sky’s HDR content.

And further....if you think it’s worth the bother of acquiring an HDR box from sky at the moment?

If the link doesn’t work the channel name seems to be Mike Normansell for search purposes.

there is some cracking footage listed, but be aware YouTube doesn’t always give full bandwidth depending on internet traffic or COVID restrictions. So depends when you view as to weather you get the full fat experience.

Last edited:
Sky need to start looking after the customers who can't get sky Q due to living in flats and stuff as using the old sky HD box is not the one especially as I had a sky Q box before I moved. Sucks big time.
Many customers in flats can get Q. You'd need to speak to the property management company to ask them to upgrade the distribution system to support Q.

Hi all,

I also have a V1 Q box (got it when they opened up the installs to other isp's as original installs were for customers that had Sky Broadband)
As someone else mentioned earlier in thread - suspect the fee maybe dropped to standard £20. I signed up for the upgrade today. Yes, Sky are being cheeky :blush: for proposing a £50 charge for something you rent, but I'm hopeful that they see sense - either a free upgrade or reduce the fee.

On subject of HDR - yes low/mid range tv's that support HDR (HLG/HDR10/DV) are not as good at showing true/full HDR goodness. If you like or want to have an excellent High's and Low's in the dynamic range of dark and light, as well as better wider colour gamut - You'll need a tv to be able to display at least 1000+ nits of brightness when in HDR mode - thus ULTRA HD PREMIUM standard was created and will feature this in their tv's specs/description.
A lot of the UHD Premium tv's are quite accurate out the box (See @Phil Hinton or @SteveWithers reviews) but if you can get the tv's calibrated professionally, then brilliant.

Stay safe everyone! :)

I read online somewhere yesterdat, can't remember exactly where, that they justify the £50 charge as the admin charge and the cost of posting the new box out and the return of the old box.

Seems a bit steep, but not entirely unreasonable I suppose.

I am sure if anyone cares to wait long enough then the £50 will be waived. However I find the cost reasonable enough anyway...

New info from Sky is that old 1TB box owners can upgrade for £25, so the £50 for a new 2TB box is not only an admin fee.

New info from Sky is that old 1TB box owners can upgrade for £25, so the £50 for a new 2TB box is not only an admin fee.
Except he doesn't give any links to sources and this is the journalist who claimed all 2TB boxes would be HDR compatible.

So, basically anyone with a v1 2TB Q box has zero chance of getting an HDR compatible (non fault) upgrade anytime in the next few months...

What a bizarre way to roll out HDR by Sky!

So, basically anyone with a v1 2TB Q box has zero chance of getting an HDR compatible (non fault) upgrade anytime in the next few months...

What a bizarre way to roll out HDR by Sky!

Its like Buying a Blu Ray player and a year down the line finding out it wont play certain Discs in another Sound format etc

Christ i purchased a Media Device and still getting updates to add more funtionality and there all FREE !!

and thats 3 Years ago now it was Bought not rented .

No wonder there called SLY 😂😂😂

Was just should customers pay ? Sky failed to
Implement HDR in the first place? ...well they do work via satellite I suppose

Surely that isnt up to Sky, that’s down to the residents via their managing agency, to persuade them to investigate getting a communal dish and wiring to those that want Sky who pay a service charge.

I read online somewhere yesterdat, can't remember exactly where, that they justify the £50 charge as the admin charge and the cost of posting the new box out and the return of the old box.

Seems a bit steep, but not entirely unreasonable I suppose.

No if a Sky engineer comes and installs it fir you, and takes the old box away it’s reasonable. For self install where you also have to facilitate returning the old hardware in terms of time and effort it’s unreasonable.

I didn’t say it was right. You’ve got to take into account postage both ways, which would be what? £10? £15? Each way.

It’s hardly a massive time or effort to plug the new one in and attack a couple of cables, then put the old one on a box and drop it at the post office.

Would I rather it was free? Of course, but it’s sky, they’re still charging for HD aren’t they?

Our box is 32B12D, the article states "For now, it’s 32B0xx boxes only." is that 32B0 and up or is 32B1 not yet covered?

I didn’t say it was right. You’ve got to take into account postage both ways, which would be what? £10? £15? Each way.

It’s hardly a massive time or effort to plug the new one in and attack a couple of cables, then put the old one on a box and drop it at the post office.

Would I rather it was free? Of course, but it’s sky, they’re still charging for HD aren’t they?

It still comes down to hiw you value your time, on top of the fact you’re being asked to pay for something you don’t own, but originally stumped up £299 for, that all the new customers are getting supplied for free and installed by an engineer. That other post implying that customers that paid less money for the 1tb box, only have to pay £25 is another slap isn’t it? But they are a business at the end of the day.

That said I’m not fussed until the downloaded UHD movies or live football are in HDR. I should be out if my last contract by then, on full package, so I’ll have some bargaining power.

Yep, it’s wrong, but only what I’ve come to expect from Sky to be honest. They charge because they can, just like they always have.

Not a lot we can do about it, pay or wait for your box to develop a fault.

I only renogotiated my contract in April after I was put on furlough and wanted to cut some costs, so I’m stuck with it, unfortunately.

Like you, I’m in no rush until movies and football get HDR, maybe my box might go wrong then 😂

Our box is 32B12D, the article states "For now, it’s 32B0xx boxes only." is that 32B0 and up or is 32B1 not yet covered?
According to the Sky Q info, your box is a v2 2TB which is HDR capable. So you are fine, enjoy HDR!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom