NEWS: Sky upgrade to HDR compatible box to cost £50

I wonder if new Sky Q installs come with the HDR compatible box or will Sky purposely install old boxes to get an extra £50 when the customer ends up wanting HDR.

How can they charge when we are ‘renting’ the boxes and equipment ?
Mind you they charged us £200 to ‘rent’ the sky q box in the first place
Seems Sky want to have their cake and eat it !!

I’ll wait to see what else gets HDR (movies, F1 etc) before I even consider paying for yet another box I don’t own.

Well they have to get some money from somewhere since they have lost a fortune in Sky sports subscriptions :laugh:

Suppose I am one of the lucky ones with my Sky Q box supporting HDR but personally I would not want to pay Sky 50 pence let alone 50 quid for the new upgraded box.

Yes the picture quality is excellent but come on, how many times do you want to watch the Gangs of Lemur Island, just not enough content at the moment to warrant throwing any money at it.

Dave

Last edited:
Not now, but when they do start doing movies and sport in HDR, why should those of us early adopters have to pay an extra £50 to get the same quality others get for nothing?

It would be different if we owned the boxes.

I think they are really taking the p*** with this one.

I guess we found the catch with this one. Every single thing they do, there’s always a catch. They can’t help but take the fish 🎣

stick your current q in the microwave, zap it then request a free replacement? :)

Suppose I am one of the lucky ones with my Sky Q box supporting HDR but personally I would not want to pay Sky 50 pence let alone 50 quid for the new upgraded box.

Yes the picture quality is excellent but come on, how times do you want to watch the Gangs of Lemur Island, just not enough content at the moment to warrant throwing any money at it.

Dave

But your quite happy to pay them $$$ for a box you rent and never own ?
and happy to pay the is it £1-2 price increase or more that comes in Sept every year ?

Wow just excuse me while I bend over a bit further to make entry a little easier for you Mr Sky.

There is absolutely zero chance I would pay Sky a single penny to upgrade a box I don't own. That's a staggering level of gouging even for Sky (brought to you by the people who charge £10 for HD)

I don't quite understand the business model. They're already up against some mammoth competition you'd think they wouldn't be in a position to keep exposing their greed so wantonly. I can only imagine that, unlike the tiny minority of us on these forums, the majority just lap it up and pay.

G

3 Words to Sky ..... LONG LIVE IPTV :clap:

The site is for registering interest so it doesn't commit you to paying £50 for the upgrade. My guess it will probably end up as the standard £20 admin fee at most in the end.

If anyone remembers the Thomson Sky+HD box replacement programme they had years ago, they originally charged the standard £60 call out but quickly started replacing the boxes for free.

The thing with the V1 boxes is not just that they don't support HDR but any HDR content isn't displayed correctly because because it showing content in a BT.2020 colour space in a Rec.709 space which causes colour shifts.

I don't have Sky any more. But I did consider getting Sky Q when it was announced.
I could be wrong, but I thought Sky committed to a future delivery of HDR when they launched the Sky Q service?

It can't be right that customers are now being asked for an addition £50, because *Sky* supplied them with incompatible hardware? It's not like the customers had any choice.

Existing Sky customers always dip out. They would rather attract a brand new customer (even for a short term contract), than do anything to keep loyal customers onboard. Seems to be a very strange business model.

Regards,
James.

But your quite happy to pay them $$$ for a box you rent and never own ?
and happy to pay the is it £1-2 price increase or more that comes in Sept every year ?

Absolutely, more than happy on both counts mate.

Dave

I have never understood Sky asking for an upfront fee for any of their Sky Q boxes when they are clear you never own them, never-mind the ridiculousness of asking for a fee in this instance. They seem to want to have their cake and eat it.

Sadly while Sky retain a monopoly on sports rights, they can probably get away with quite a bit of price gouging. But for anyone looking for entertainment and movies, there are increasingly better alternative options out there.

The site is for registering interest so it doesn't commit you to paying £50 for the upgrade. My guess it will probably end up as the standard £20 admin fee at most in the end.

If anyone remembers the Thomson Sky+HD box replacement programme they had years ago, they originally charged the standard £60 call out but quickly started replacing the boxes for free.

The thing with the V1 boxes is not just that they don't support HDR but any HDR content isn't displayed correctly because because it showing content in a BT.2020 colour space in a Rec.709 space which causes colour shifts.
ah, ok, That's why it looks so terrible on my non HDR box, if they go HDR on Netflix does that mean it will look the same and they'll "make" me upgrade because it will look so bad on non HDR boxes or will there be 2 versions of Netflix?

ah, ok, That's why it looks so terrible on my non HDR box, if they go HDR on Netflix does that mean it will look the same and they'll "make" me upgrade because it will look so bad on non HDR boxes or will there be 2 versions of Netflix?

Latest rumour from Sky is that the non HLG boxes won't have HDR support enabled in Netflix or any other apps.

Latest rumour from Sky is that the non HLG boxes won't have HDR support enabled in Netflix or any other apps.

Seems very strange that Sky can't support HDR10 (or even Dolby Vision) for pre-recorded content that's already being delivered that way by NetFlix and others. Odd that they need to convert everything to HLG.

Regards,
James.

Absolutely, more than happy on both counts mate.

Dave

Question at what price point would make you ditch sky and look for alternatives ?

Or you don t care how much they put the price up per month .

Netflix already have a top tier premium 4K/HDR level, I imagine you'd need to be signed up for that one, if you aren't already, either directly with NF themselves, or Sky.

Netflix already have a top tier premium 4K/HDR level, I imagine you'd need to be signed up for that one, if you aren't already, either directly with NF themselves, or Sky.
I do and I can log in on my TV, my problem is my LG is a low/medium model and it's HDR is'nt very good so at the moment I steer clear of it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom